collapse

Author Topic: Java?  (Read 5378 times)

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Java?
« on: August 26, 2012, 02:35:50 PM »
Hey all,

Is anyone using Java on their N7?  Did you simply install the latest version or is there a certain one that works best?

Thanks,

radio

Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

Re: Java?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »
In what way radio?

Java is a language code that allot of apps are written in.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 03:35:59 PM »
Well I tried to look at a site and the little 'puzzle piece' came up and said 'missing plug-in' so I figured maybe Java has to be downloaded on an N7 or something... guess not so.

r

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 03:49:27 PM »
That usually means Flash is missing, what browser are you using and have you side loaded Flash?

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 07:48:31 PM »
Ah! Just using Chrome and no, I haven't bothered to load Flash. 

r

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 02:41:20 AM »
That site uses Flash rather than HTML5 so if you want to view it try sideloading Flash and use a Flash compatible browser like xScope or I think Firefox works?

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:22 AM »
Hmm, when I look at FF in Google Play it tells me that, "   Asus Nexus 7
This item is not compatible with your device."  What's up widdat??? I see a bunch of reviewers saying that, to date, there is no 'stable' version of FireFox for the Nexus 7.  Guess I'll have to look at other browsers...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:24:17 AM by radiocycle »

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
Hey Jay,  Just picked up eScope and it looks good!  Still new and haven't really tried it out a lot but I dig the overall look of it, thanks!

radio

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 03:30:48 PM »
Yeah you have to sideload a modded Flash because Adobe unannounced that after Android 4.0.x (Ice Cream Sandwich) they would no longer support any further iterations of Android.
This is because the web is moving towards HTML5 which Chrome supports, websites like YouTube are already using HTML5 and more will follow.

xScope Pro is a good choice radio, not only does it guide you on installing the modded Flash but it's an awesome browser that I have been using for a couple years now. I tend to use xScope for desktop sites and Chrome for mobile sites, you can select desktop sites in the settings of xScope Pro.

Offline pduffer

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:15:29 PM »
Firefox doesn't support flash.  I use an older version of Dolphin for flash sites - just have to be careful not to allow updates to install as updated doesn't support flash.  Will also be checking out xScope.

Offline bob7794

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
What does "side load" mean?

JayJ

Re: Re: Java?
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
What does "side load" mean?

To sideload an app is to manually install the app from your PC, cloud storage or your SD Card rather than the market.
Place the apk (app install file) on your internal memory (SD Card), use a file manager or app installer to find that apk and clicking it will initiate the installer and the pop will be installed or sideloaded.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »
Well, just to add to my original question, I found this post, (emphasis mine):

Best answer

buwish wrote :

From what I gather, Android already has Java in the sense that it was included in the original code for Android OS:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9205902/Google_copied_Java_in_Android_expert_says

Way to fall for and perpetuate that propaganda from the pro-Apple media. That story was completely irresponsible and without merit.

For an actual answer to the OP's question, no Android does not "have" Java. It runs on an underlying Virtual Machine Google named Dalvik, which is similar to Java, but executes code differently.

What this means is Android does not natively run Java code (and barring a major sea change it never will officially. There have been some efforts in the non-official Android dev community to integate true Java into Android).

So if you're thinking can I drop my Java games on there and will they work, the answer is no. The same is true for websites that use Java code, they will not run on Android browser. There is a lot of marketing form Android-equipped device manufacturers about providing a "full" web experience because of Android's Flash support, but that ignores the Java issue. IMO until these mobile OS'es can support the full web as-is no code changes, no need to re-jigger the content to the platform by the content providers, they can never be computer replacements.

BTW, there is a tool from Google which lets you recompile Java code into Dalvik friendly files. I used it to get a Java chat client running on an Android phone.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:05:48 PM by radiocycle »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman