March 29, 2024, 03:45:19 AM

collapse

Author Topic: mac address filtering on wifi router  (Read 5582 times)

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
mac address filtering on wifi router
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
I was on hold with the nexus7 support line for 35 minutes. When I first turned it on I couldn't get past the wifi login screen because my router uses mac address filtering to connect to my wifi There didn't seem to be any way around that screen so I called support. Turns out the only solution was to disable my mac address filtering temporarily while I got thru the setup process and was able to look at the mac address on the device. I think this is a little bit short sighted as most of my deviceS have allowed me to discover mac address before setup is  complete. anyway I hope this info solution helps somebody.

Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

Offline mh

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: mac address filtering on wifi router
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Bleeding on the cutting edge.  Guess the 7 is too new, cause the online help when Googling for hints is so thin.  I bought the 7 and furnished my Google account info.  When the 7 arrived, my wireless router would not accept my password, due to MAC address filtering.  I finally got logged in to the router's control panel, turned off the filtering, and it all then worked.  But I wanted to turn the MAC filtering, and to do so I needed the 7's MAC address.  I still don't know where to find it on the 7, but because I was still logged in without filtering enabled, I was able to use Cisco Network Magic to discover the MAC address of the new, unidentified item in my home wireless network.  I wrote down that number, re-enabled the filtering, added the MAC address to the list of permitted addresses, saved it, and now I am happier (and connected).  Two thumbs down to Google - they're as bad as Microsoft ever has been.

Offline RDJW

• Popularity: 2
  • N7 8G, Thrive 16G
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:40:25 PM »
It took me a while to find it, too. And I really hated that I had to turn off the MAC filter to get to where I needed to be, ( Wifi/settings/Advanced) even if only temporarily. I'm perplexed as to why they would make it so difficult.
Specialization is for insects.    --R.A.Heinlein

Offline aaparkr

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:16 AM »
does this mean it is not easy to find? I need a command line to see ipconfig?
I too want to turn on the added security for my wireless network.
Tony
aaparkr@swbell.net
Ok, with the linksys, I was able to turn off MAC filter then look in my router for the connected devices. The Nexus was the only android device and its mac address was listed. What a pain, why can't the nexus tel me its mac address?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 02:18:57 AM by aaparkr »

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:42:32 AM »
???  You can find your MAC address easily.  Go to Settings > Wi-fi > Advanced > MAC address.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Nighthawk4

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 01:07:43 PM »
I have  a Netgear DG834 router and I use MAC filtering for my WiFi.

I just attempt to connect the new device and check in the MAC filter page on my router Admin screen. This shows the new device is trying to connect. I add that to the list of approved MAC addresses and try again with the device. The fact it now works whereas originally it did not shows I must have allowed the correct MAC address - although it would be very coincidental if someone else tried to gain access at the very moment I try to connect a new device.

This has worked for me with a number of different devices. In fact, now I have to delete one of the existing devices when I need to add a new one, as my table of permitted MAC addresses is now full.

Hope that helps.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts