March 29, 2024, 03:02:53 AM

collapse

Author Topic: About to purchase Nexus7, but first a GPS nav question.  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Dirada

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
About to purchase Nexus7, but first a GPS nav question.
« on: August 27, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase my first tablet, and it will be the Nexus 7 :D. I would like to use it as an in car GPS, and given the GPS radio transmitter in the Nexus 7 this should be possible, but I haven't found a definite answer.

Using Google maps offline mode, would turn by turn navigation work even without a WiFi connection? I heard someone say that it will work, but you must be connected to WiFi when you launch the navigator application. That would be a bummer and make offline turn-by-turn navigation worthless. Anyone tried this?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:38:28 PM by Dirada »

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
Re: About to purchase Nexus7, but first a GPS nav question.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:21 PM »
I asked the same question.

You can red the full thread here:
http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=434.msg2472#msg2472

But to give you a quick answer; I haven't actually used it to navigate any long distance yet, but it has NavFree does work away from wifi on test drives around town.

Offline Dirada

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »
Interesting... thanks for the answer.

I was hoping the Google solution worked:
http://www.google.com/mobile/navigation/

It says it works if internet connection is lost, but does not specify if it will work without internet connection at all (given that Google offline maps have already been downloaded).

Offline Reverse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 05:56:36 PM »
Afaik, the nexus 7 tablet's navigation works the same as the phones:

If you are in Wifi range when you are planning your trip, it will download all maps needed.  You can then drive to your destination and get turn-by-turn directions, even if no wifi signal is available.  However, if you stray too far from your original route, it will not have those maps downloaded and will not do turn-by-turn anymore.

My N7 is always hooked up to my phone through Wifi, so I don't really have a problem with that (unless the phone loses cell signal).

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »
I've tried Google Maps and several other free nav apps.  None of them are a replacement for my TomTom yet.  Hopefully in the future.

Offline strollin

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 07:25:12 AM »
Hi all,

I'm about to purchase my first tablet, and it will be the Nexus 7 :D. I would like to use it as an in car GPS, and given the GPS radio transmitter in the Nexus 7 this should be possible, but I haven't found a definite answer.

Using Google maps offline mode, would turn by turn navigation work even without a WiFi connection? I heard someone say that it will work, but you must be connected to WiFi when you launch the navigator application. That would be a bummer and make offline turn-by-turn navigation worthless. Anyone tried this?
First off, GPS is a receive only system, no transmitter involved on this end.

The Google Nav app allows you to download some map data to the N7 so you can then use it for turn-by-turn navigation without the need to be connected to wifi.  If you happen to travel to a location that's not in the map area you downloaded, you will need to connect to wifi to download more map data.

There are apps out there that store all of their map data on the N7 such as CoPilot Live in the Google Play Store.  The drawback is that the map data consumes a good chunk of your on board storage. 

Offline onyxluo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »
Google Map without WIFI cannot do GPS navigation. The offline map only is useful to map search when without Wifi.  For your question, the nexus 7 definitely can be a bigger GPS but need to purchase a GPS software. I bought my nexus 7 last month and purchase a GPS software named SYGIC. It works fine on my nexus 7.  One more things should be aware that GPS map data need a lot of storage space. I download US and Canada maps and it is almost 4G. Thus you'd better to buy a 16G nexus 7 if you want it be your GPS when you drive out.

Onyxluo

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:43:36 AM »
I use my N7 offline, for GPS, utilizing Nav Free, a free app on the Market.  It works great, but does take up some space.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline onyxluo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
I use my N7 offline, for GPS, utilizing Nav Free, a free app on the Market.  It works great, but does take up some space.

what's the free app?

Offline Diver4242

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
If your phone offers a mobile wifi hotspot feature, where it will use cellular connection and appear like a wireless hub to your N7, that might work.

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:16:15 PM »
I have used Nav Free to navigate around France, and UK.   Works fine. I always find route when connected to wifi and then it works fine.  Even if you deviate it recalculates.

If you get NavFree app - then don't fgorget to get the maps for where you want to go and also don't forget they do not come with POST CODE (think you cal that zip code in US) support - you have to install that as an upgrade.

No problems - though when testing it around town it does do some rather non direct roures - it likes main roads.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman