March 28, 2024, 10:39:01 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Hi I'm new!  (Read 5194 times)

Offline Spursman

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hi I'm new!
« on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
Hello

I am from the uk.

I'm interested in buying the nexus 7 but I just wanted to make sure it will do everything I need it to do.

So can I:

Use sky go? Watch sky sports etc?

Can I stream football using sopcast software? I see it's available on google play so I presume u can.

Download movies and copy them onto the nexus?

This isn't that important but could I set up a 3G hotspot using my iPhone?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Hi I'm new!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 03:17:38 PM »
Hi Spursman and welcome.  What I'd suggest you do is for each 'app' that you are thinking of using for your Nexus 7 you read through the reviews on the App page at the Google Play Store and see if other Nexus 7 users are using it.   You can also find out from that if there are any issues, positive or negative about that particular app on the Nexus 7.  You can also of course do a 'search' on this forum and see if anyone's commented yet on any of the apps you mention.   Good luck!
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 04:07:22 PM »
Welcome Spursman. A search through the forum will reveal, favorite video players, that avi is compatable, and that hotspots will work.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 01:23:36 AM »
I can tell you that you cannot atm use the Sky Go application, it does not support the JellyBean (4.1.x) OS and no tablets are currently supported.
Currently in testing I believe...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:26:27 AM by JayJ »

Offline Spursman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 03:34:14 AM »
Thanks for your help.

Shame about sky go not working on the nexus. Maybe in the near future it will be sorted.

Now i need to check if  sopcast works ok

Offline coolbreeze

• Popularity: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
Welcome Spursman. :D What is behind your name? Horses?
Razr Maxx , Nexus 7

JayJ

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
My guess is English football (soccer), Spurs is a football team but I could be wrong there?

Offline muffinman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 07:12:27 AM »
Hi I'm also new!  and I'm an AFC Rushden and Diamonds man!  Sky just seem to get worse I'm afraid. They used to allow 4 devices on the old SKY mobile, now its only 2 and you have to wait a month if you reassign an IP. They have very poor Android support not even ICS yet. They also dont support the latest version of silverlight, so my windows XP laptop no longer works!

The nexus 7 however is brilliant, unless you like Apple there's nothing to touch it.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 08:11:48 AM »
@ Spursman

I have moved your topic to "New Member Introductions" for better exposure.

S.Prime
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Spursman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 08:51:38 AM »
Thanks for moving the thread.

spursman is a screen name i have always used.

Yes its linked to Spurs my football team. Soccer to people in America.

Full name is Tottenham Hotspur.

Annoying that sky wont work and not sure if sopcast can stream what i want it to.

I think i may wait to see what the Apple Ipad mini has to offer before making my purchase.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Thanks for moving the thread.

Annoying that sky wont work and not sure if sopcast can stream what i want it to.

I think i may wait to see what the Apple Ipad mini has to offer before making my purchase.

Welcome to the forums.  I wouldn't make a hasty purchasing decision.  The N7 is selling so well that I'm sure developers will soon be updating their apps.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
I'm almost positive that sopcast will work on nex7. I looked into it and was thinking about setting it up on mine here in the US. I do use my iPhone as a 3g hot spot on my nexus 7 on a daily basis. The app I use is called tether me and its a cydia app. Meaning you must be jail broken. It tethers on the nexus's Bluetooth. I tried pdanet first which is an actual WiFi tether and my nexus did not see the network created. I'm not sure how it works where u are but here in USA if your not jail broken on the iPhone then you can pay your carrier something like $50 a month for 3g tether. Mine works lovely with the tether me app from cydia. Just have to watch my data usage and not go over my 3gb per month cap with at&t.

Offline Spursman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 01:44:15 PM »
Thanks norcal thats helpful.

I have got a 3G sim through my company. I currently use a HP netbook for my daily work when im out and about. The company i work for are developing a way to use out systems offline! You just update what u need on a wifi network before you leave for work.

I think its best to hold off to see if they will create app for android. They currently have a VERY early version on the ipad but dont want to spend £500 for ipad.

I tried the nexus today in a store. Works really well and downloaded sopcast. It wouldnt let me play becuase it said i had to download it from main site.

Maybe you could try it for me on yours?

Offline norcal618

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Hi I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 12:54:58 AM »
Thanks norcal thats helpful.

I have got a 3G sim through my company. I currently use a HP netbook for my daily work when im out and about. The company i work for are developing a way to use out systems offline! You just update what u need on a wifi network before you leave for work.

I think its best to hold off to see if they will create app for android. They currently have a VERY early version on the ipad but dont want to spend £500 for ipad.

I tried the nexus today in a store. Works really well and downloaded sopcast. It wouldnt let me play becuase it said i had to download it from main site.

Maybe you could try it for me on yours?
Actually bad news on the sopcast. I looked it up in the plat store and in the reviews the only thing a read from nexus 7 users is that it currently doesn't work on nexus 7. Bummer.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman