March 28, 2024, 09:40:45 AM

collapse

Author Topic: How to Play WMP-managed MP3's on N7 ???  (Read 4833 times)

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
How to Play WMP-managed MP3's on N7 ???
« on: August 31, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
I have a large collection of music MP3s on my W7 PC, managed by Windows Media Player.  I can move then to N7 and sync them, but how do I play them on N7.  Is the software for this built in to N7?  Will it recognize Titles, Artists, Genres, etc?  Do I need to add an App to N7 for this?

Please help.
Thanks

JayJ

Re: How to Play WMP-managed MP3's on N7 ???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 02:28:38 PM »
Look for the gold Headphones on your Nexus 7, called Play Music.

It will display album art, album name, track numbers and names. Alternatively you could download a player from Google Play like n7player, Power Amp or there are many others.

I don't sync music, I usually just copy & paste from my Win 7 laptop onto my N7 or upload to my Drop box and download when I want it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 02:31:16 PM by JayJ »

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 02:51:18 PM »
Please tell me more about --"I don't sync music, I usually just copy & paste from my Win 7 laptop onto my N7"

I connecr N7 to my PC via USB cable and I see N7 (and subfolders) in Windows Explorer.  Where in N7 do I copy and paste files (can they be in a "my music" folder?)?  Once this is done, if I use Google Play, nothing more to do on N7.  Google Play will search for MP3 files, read info from mp3 tags, let me select the song, and play the music.  Right?

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:04:21 PM »
That's exactly right, there should be an existing "Music" folder on the N7 so just copy and paste the Music from your Win 7 to that folder using Windows Explorer.
Just open the Play Music app and as you say it will detect MP3 files...

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:47:45 PM »
Just to add to JayJ's suggestion, which is what I use as well, you do have the MTP option. So if you are experienced using sync with Windows Media Player and you have the latest version, drag your selections to the sync section for the Nexus 7 in Media Center and click "Sync Now."
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 08:40:24 AM »
Thanks for the info

The large music catalog I would like to move from my PC is generally unchanging, so syncihing would not be of much benefit in this regard.  There would be benefit  in using the tag attributes that WMP uses, but that will be governed by Google Play unless I install a more WMP compatible app.  Which one?

When synching with WPM I presume that MP3 files are moved to the designated N7 "Music" folder, where Google Play looks for its music files.  Right?

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 08:44:50 AM »
Would I follow the same procedure in moving eBook files to N7from my PC?
Where would I copy then to? 
Haven't looked yet, but is there a designated "book folder" on N7, where eBook readers look for files?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
Using WMP to sync/copy your music to the Nexus 7 will place the music files in the correct folder (Music) and copy the tags I have honestly only used MP3's or M4a's and they play through the Google Music Player without issues. As I stated, so I understand WMA's can be played with WinAmp. Also it should be noted that regardless of the transfer method you use, Windows will display the nag screen that says this content may not be usable on your device, so just acknowledge it and copy your media to the Nexus 7.

I have not found a program like Calibre that will allow me to transfer ebooks to the Nexus 7, but you can use the copy and paste method from Windows or transfer through Dropbox or Google drive as well as other methods. You will have to create an ebook folder if you want one and you will have to get an ereader app from Google Play because the native app on the Nexus 7 will only show content purchased from Google or at least I have not found a way to read other content on the native reader.

Hope this helps, if not I will try to be more specific.

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 12:51:10 PM »
The eBook readers required by my library are Overdrive (EPUB format and Kindle Reader (Kindle format).
If I create a new eBook folder in N7 and place eBook files therein, how will my N7 reader-Apps know to look there for books (files) to open?

Alternatively, how do I open the new eBook folder on N7 and set the App association for each book file?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:01 PM »
Creating an eBook folder can be accomplished with a file manager app like Astro or ES File Exploer or even when connected to your PC by MTP, but discovery by your eReader app depends on the app, as some scan internal storage and some require you to set or search for the path to the eReader files. BTW, you mentioned that Overdrive is Epub format, while the Kindle reads the Mobi format.

Offline gp123

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 06:54:26 PM »
Thanks for your input.

Since I am generally unfamiliar with Android (my experience is Windows-based) I am having trouble seeing folders/files in N7.  I can create them by attaching N7 to my PC but when I use my N7 standalone I cannot "see" them.  I was hoping to be able to open a folder and set some sort of file association (the way I can in Windows). I'm concluding that I need to install some file-management App in order to this.

Do I have this right?

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 06:27:24 AM »
Try restarting your Nexus 7 and it should see the folders you created from your PC.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman