March 28, 2024, 01:22:00 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Known working USB-OTG cables  (Read 4029 times)

Offline garryknight

• Popularity: 0
  • Waiting for my 16GB Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Known working USB-OTG cables
« on: September 04, 2012, 05:18:38 PM »
I couldn't find another thread and thought it might be useful if people were to post where they found USB-OTG cables that work with the Nexus 7.

IVSO® Nexus 7 Tablet Micro USB Host OTG Cable - Micro USB B/Male to USB2.0 A/Female OTG Host Cable for Nexus 7 (Black)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008WOXUKI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

This one works with the Nexus 7 Media Importer app. It fits in the socket well, works fine for detecting, streaming, and saving files. I tried it with JPEGs, an MP3 music file, an MP4 video file, a PDF, a .doc, and a .xls and everything went OK.

When you save JPEGs you can find them in /sdcard/Pictures. MP3s go into /sdcard/Music, and videos go, oddly, into /sdcard/Movies. Most non-media files go into /sdcard/Download. As another reviewer has pointed out, the angled plug is the wrong way round for using with the N7 in a stand so if you've got the space, you might want to copy music or videos onto the tablet to play them rather than streaming them.

Garry Knight

Offline jonv

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Known working USB-OTG cables
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 12:51:56 PM »
I just recently bought another (cheaper) brand from Amazon.  What will be the symtom of its failure?  This IVSO brand only ships to UK addresses? Mine was rejected.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 01:55:53 PM »
If you do a search on ebay there are plenty that are sold for the Nexus 7. I bought mine from a guy in NY he shipped the next day. I am not sure if he ships international but worth a look.

Offline jonv

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:31:00 AM »
If you do a search on ebay there are plenty that are sold for the Nexus 7. I bought mine from a guy in NY he shipped the next day. I am not sure if he ships international but worth a look.

I certainly see many brands being sold butthe fact that this thread exists leads me to believe that that' I'll run into one that doesn't work properly.  Meaning nothing connects when using it?

And a side question, does using the cable pretty much require root and StickMount?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:10:06 PM by jonv »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:27:35 PM »
Using this program at Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer  you can copy files from usb without root, but you cannot write to usb. My Nexus 7 is rooted so I use Stickmount to transfer either way.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline jonv

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
Using this program at Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.homeysoft.nexususb.importer  you can copy files from usb without root, but you cannot write to usb. My Nexus 7 is rooted so I use Stickmount to transfer either way.

Very goodand thanks!  I plan on probably rooting within a couple hours of my picking up my N7 later today as I've rooted all my Android phones.  I saw your post in the root, deleopment forum mentioning "This is the link to the One Click Toolkit at XDA Developers."  I assume that's still the place for me to start?  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:53:34 PM by jonv »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
Better yet use http://www.Nexus7Forum.com/index.php?topic=367.0 my guide to rooting the Nexus 7.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman