March 28, 2024, 04:26:22 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Some neat stuff in the Nexus 7 Manual that I'm not seeing anyone mention.  (Read 3594 times)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Firstly here's a link to the Nexus 7 Manual through Google Play:
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=gKmQD47OvCYC

And after reading through it there are a few features I've yet to see anyone demo or highlight, and I'm not sure why.

The biggest is Google Actions (pages 34 and 35 in manual) which says the N7 will sample audio from the microphone every few seconds and if you say "Google" it'll instantly start listening to voice commands with no need to press the microphone button.  This seems amazing, and if the API allows third party apps to tie into this it opens some neat possibilities.  But I've yet to see anyone talk about it or show any demos. 

Also pages 59 and 60 shows using a VPN, so any word on how this works?  If it's compatible with our work's VPN this might be a great way to connect in when on the go given I can find a good RDP client for Android. 

Speaking of, page 67 and 68 mention mouse and keyboard support, which a mouse working on it is something very unexpected.  But the manual says "an arrow shaped cursor appears just as on a computer".  WOW!  Again, for RDP connections into desktop systems this is TOTALLY FTW!

Pages 80 and 81 mentions encryption which is another wonderful feature I've yet to see anyone demo, so I'd be curious to see how this works and whether or not it slows the system down.

So just a few things I've read that I've yet to see anyone who already has one cover.  Most people seem to be highlighting the obvious things, but I'd love to see someone demo these features.  I also have an N7 on order, so if I can't find any demos by then I'll do one myself :)

Take care --

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
All great observations Samalex!   I should add there is also Keyboard support via the microUSB in addition to the mouse support.  I also posted a couple of days ago bout the 'USB Audio feature that makes for some interesting possibilities as well:  http://nexus7forum.com/index.php?topic=67.0

I plan on doing an article about the Nexus 7 microUSB capabilities...what it can and can't do out of the box....what we can expect to be able to do through rooting, etc in the next couple of days.   If you stumble upon any other 'finds' let me know!
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
Yup keyboard and mouse support are amazing capabilities, and I'll definitely use both.  The mouse feature though just totally amazed me since I've never seen a tablet support a mouse before and given I remote desktop into my work fairly often this just seems like a great fit (given I can get VPN to work as well).

And I did see your post about the audio dock for the N7, so definitely I'll be experimenting with this too and will share what I find.  Since the Kindle Fire is really my only tablet for now I connect it to our home stereo using the headphone jack which isn't the best. Having audio through the USB port will be great, or even Bluetooth audio which would be a neat perk.

Some neat things coming with the N7, I just can't wait until it's finally in my hands to play with :)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
The 'Google Actions' feature you describe where the Nexus 7 mic samples sounds continuously to see if you say 'Google' could be used in some interesting ways.  Do we know if this could be used to initiate a hands-free Skype session?  So you'd just say 'Google, call mom'...and it would start up Skype and make the call?   
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Great find. I am impressed to see VPN support. I use PocketCloud Pro as my RDP client and it is an excellent choice when connecting by RDP.

RDP = Remote Desktop Protocol
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline pduffer

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
I have used a mouse in RDP sessions using 2XClient on my Acer A500, so I know it can be done in Android.  The only thing that didn't work as expected was the right mouse button.

Offline Archie

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
The keyboard and mouse should function fine if you use an OTG cable.  I bought a tablet two weeks ago at Walmart that had Ice Cream Sandwich and it actually came with a OTG (On The Go) cable.  So I bought a small keyboard at Walmart for $29 that had a slidepad built in. Worked fine. I put a USB hub on it and added a mouse along with the keyboard.

I've ordered the Nexus 7 from Google and haven't received it yet, however I did order an OTG cable from Amazon for $1.37 including shipping. Such a deal.

I'll get back to you when all arrives and I test it out.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
Someone in another site mentioned the Google Action word would only work if you were on certain screens, but even if so it's still a great feature.

pduffer, thanks for the suggestion on PocketCloud Pro and 2XClient .. I'll check them out if VPN ends up working for me. 

Also Archie definitely keep us uposted on the OTG table.  I hope someone comes out with a keyboard and mouse built into a cover that fits the N7 since I've seen them for other tablets.  If a keyboard with trackpad or even an eraser mouse were scaled down and added to a case this would be amazing.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman