2012 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (1st Generation) > Nexus 7 Help

what .chm reader?

(1/2) > >>

newtoandroid:
Hi. I have a few medical books that I need to carry in my N7.  I can't seem to open these .chm files with any reader. I have tried ireader, chm reader, HY reader, cool reader, cuckoo reader.
Am I missing something?
Please help

S.Prime:
Aren't CHM files usually very large (100 meg +)? Also you did not mention if you copied the files to your internal storage and how you made the transfer or if you are trying to access the files from external storage, all of which can create issues. So at this point some general suggestions would be to make sure the the file is located on your internal storage and that the file size matches the transfer source using a file manager. I do not have any CHM files to test, so possibly other members can offer more than I can. If you continue to have issues, upload a small chm file that you cannot open to Dropbox or some other cloud storage and generate a public link so that someone can test it for you.

newtoandroid:
Thanks. Yes the files are big. I just dragged and dropped them in the documents folder on N7 from my PC. When I try to open them with a reader, either the app crashes or gives an error message.
This is possibly a dumb question but what do u mean when u say "the file size matches the transfer source"

garryknight:
Calibre can convert .chm files to other formats, eg EPUB. There are plenty of apps for reading EPUB format.
http://calibre-ebook.com/

S.Prime:
Microsoft Compiled HTML Help is a Microsoft proprietary online help format, that consists of a collection of HTML pages and an index. Files delivered in the format are commonly known as CHM files, and the format is often used for software documentation, so the keyword is Microsoft. Conversion to epub, as garryknight suggested or even pdf could be an easier solution.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version