March 29, 2024, 08:50:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Can I Ungroup and Convert My Library Icons? (16 GB Nexus 7)  (Read 3057 times)

Offline jdanniel

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Can I Ungroup and Convert My Library Icons? (16 GB Nexus 7)
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:13:48 AM »
Hello, everyone.
I am a brand new Nexus 7 owner.  I've been reading a lot of documentation about the tablet, including the guide book that comes with the Nexus in the Books section.

There is one thing I'm having trouble figuring out, and am requesting assistance with it, please.
On the home screen, the first thing I see it My Library.  I then scroll left and see a Recommended on Play item, and a Recommended Apps icon.  Below them are icons for the various apps I've installed.

My question is about the My Library section.  It has four icons:
1.  A movie (Transformers)
2.  The Nexus 7 Guidebook
3.  A Jason Bourne novel
4.  A magazine

Is there any way to convert these icons into smaller icons, similar to the icons for apps?  Also, they seem to be grouped together.  If I want to delete one of these four icons, I can't.  Can they be ungrouped? 

Also, is there a way to remove these icons from the home screen WITHOUT actually deleting the content?  For example, I accidentally deleted the whole group from the home screen when I first began playing with the Nexus.  It looked like I deleted that material from the tablet completely, and couldn't figure out how to get it back, so I just factory reset the Nexus and they returned.  I don't want that to happen again.

Thank you for your assistance!   Jd

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Ungroup and Convert My Library Icons? (16 GB Nexus 7)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:47:32 PM »
Actually "My Library" is a Google Widget. Long tap (tap and hold) on any screen and you see the options for Shortcuts, Apps, Wallpaper and Widgets. Tap on Widgets and scroll to Google and you can replace the My Library widget. Deleting anything on a home screen is only deleting the link to it. You can create shortcuts to specific items, but you cannot unlink a widget as you were asking. Do some reading on widgets and you will have a better understanding of their function.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »
You can remove the My library widget altogether if you want and then to find the content that was on that widget...

The Nexus 7 Guide and the Bourne novel will be in Play books application. Blue coloured book icon.

The Transformers movie will be in Play Movies & TV application. Red coloured film section icon.

Offline jdanniel

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:22:18 PM »
Yeah, I need to start understanding widgets.  Right now, I don't.  I've spent the weekend downloading and experimenting with apps.  I found a few that are very helpful.

But now I have a few dozen icons that I'd like to organize.  I have to learn how to do that. 

I need a bit more guidance with the long tap thing you mentioned.   When I long tap, I don't see any options for shortcuts and apps.

A screen comes up that says Choose Wallpaper From.  The options are Gallery, Live Wallpeprs, QuickPic Wallpapers, and Wallpapers.

I'm clearly not long tapping in the right spot, am I?

So, I might need a bit more help figuring this out. 

Are there any decent tutorials that demonstrate what I need to learn?  Thank you.   Jd
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 06:26:47 PM by jdanniel »

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 06:46:31 PM »
To add widgets to your home screen open the app draw by tapping the circle with six dots at the bottom middle of your homescreen, this is your app tray or app draw. At the top you'll see two tabs, select the widgets tab and find a widget you want to add to the homescreen, press and hold the widget you want in your homescreen and then find a space and let go.
To move or delete an existing widget, press on the widget keeping your finger or thumb on it and move it or drag to the X at the top of the homescreen.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman