March 28, 2024, 09:58:42 AM

collapse

Author Topic: older than dirt  (Read 2385 times)

Offline aaparkr

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
older than dirt
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »
anyway  way over 50. First computing device was a TRS 80. I never liked the apple gui and homogenous attitude. Not going into details. I have an IPhone for a few more months, but the android suits me better than assimilation into the apple camp.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: older than dirt
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:58:43 AM »
Welcome to the forum aaparkr. I will have to say that Android suits me better as well.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 07:41:42 AM »
Welcome aaparkr!  Couldn't agree with you more about your feelings regarding iOS and Android.  I think you'll be happy you made the switch.   Look forward to you being part of our new community here all about the Nexus 7.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 02:21:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum aaparkr, couldn't agree more with the A**le and Android comments above. As my sig says, Android Rules!.

Offline n3vry

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
Wow, I know a guy two towns over from me, he's a biker and is nickname is Dirt, well one day talking to him I found out that I'm two days older than him. Yep, I'm two days older than Dirt.

Derek

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I agree about Apple. No matter how much time I spend on a friend's iMac, I just can't like it if I tried. It doesn't feel like a personal computer I could own and customize. It feels like I'm on some public machine. Simplified but also restricted. And it feels almost insultingly dumbed down. I once had an interest in building my own desktop computer with the whole ATX casing, Windows, gaming video card and all. I don't know of any way to do that with Apple. Apple does not even want people opening up their Apple products, at least with iMac notebooks. They'd rather people take them to the Apple store and pay a load of money to have it done for us. It's like they're saying, "don't worry about technical knowledge, let us do it and you pay us for it, you just take the device and enjoy the pretty things on the screen and push buttons and stuff."

Anyways, enough of my ranting about Apple. I'm definitely enjoying the Nexus 7 and Android.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 07:24:13 PM »
IOS makes it easy, at a hefty price. :-)
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 07:39:17 PM »
Easier for the simpler of mind...

Offline alderson

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:06:26 PM »
Hi! This is Alderson Joshi, I am a newbie here in this forum. In a couple of days i'm also gonna be a owner of Nexus 7. Yippee :)

Offline donaldjl

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2012, 06:55:12 PM »
I saw, "older than dirt," and thought I'd chime in late.  I'm another "AARP-eligible" guy as of this year.  :-)

I'm with you and others regarding Apple.  I messed with it a few times over the years, and while it generally worked okay, the general ecosystem attitudes and need to go all-in kind of turns me off.  I came in to computers more seriously a little later than some, around the Win 2.1 to Win 3.0 days.  I've run a half dozen or so Linux distros over the years, so I've appreciated the open source movement.  Android is really filling that niche for me these days.   I've hacked a number of cell phones over time as well.  Having a device's seller hamstring their product rather irks me.

I'm new here myself, so I'm still in the read-a-lot-and-search phase.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman