March 28, 2024, 05:09:26 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Can the Apps in the Home Screen be Sorted by Name without a Separate App?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline jdanniel

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Hello.  I have the 16 GB Nexus 7 which I purchased last week.  So far, I like it, but customizing and organizing the Home screen is driving me nuts.  To keep things very, very simple, I have two questions about organizing the Home screen.

First, I should let you know I've wiped everything--EVERYTHING--off the Home screen and left it totally empty.  I got rid of all the widgets and icons.  I want to work with a totally clean screen, and go from there.  I've moved a few icons from the App Drawer to the Home screen.  Now, for the two questions.

1.  Is there a way to sort the icons in the home screen by name?  Or, am I going to have to move them around manually to get them in alphabetical order?  Can I do this without a downloaded app?

2.  I was under the impression--perhaps wrongly--that long tapping the Home key will bring up a menu with a few options, including New Folder.  That's not happening.  When I long tap the Home key, all I see is a semi-circle, with a white ball at the top that has the Google logo.  Is that what I'm supposed to see?  I want to group my apps into folders, but honestly, I don't like the native way of doing it.  I've dragged icons over icons, creating new folders, but is that the only way it can be done? 

Okay, those are the two questions I want to start off with.  Thanks for helping out.  Jd

JayJ

I am unaware of any app that can organise your apps into alphabetical order on your home screen, usually the homescreen is used for widgets. Obviously your Nexus 7 is your device so ultimately you decide how it looks.

Here's how mine looks...

I like it simple, personally I feel little need for lots of shortcuts.

Long pressing the homescreen, not home button will only bring up the wallpaper options on the stock launcher. To add widget or shortcuts you need to open the app tray and press and hold on an app icon or widget, once you've held for log enough the screen will jump to the homescreen were you can drop the shortcuts or widget in an open space.
To create folders simply press on an app shortcut on your homescreen until it's movable and then drag it over another app shortcut and release. You do this for as many apps you you want I don't know whether there is limit on how many shortcuts will go in a folder, you can also title the folder by pressing the text at the bottom and typing and then selecting done. It's the easiest way to create a folder...

Hope that helps...

Offline jdanniel

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Can the Apps in the Home Screen be Sorted by Name without a Separate App?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:36:55 PM »
Thanks for replying.  Frankly, I'm surprised that there isn't a sort feature.   The App Drawer is sorted alphabetically...why can't the home screen be the same?  Don't quite understand that.

Anyway...I figured out how to configure my home screen to my satisfaction.  Good old trial and error. 

Jd

JayJ

Re: Can the Apps in the Home Screen be Sorted by Name without a Separate App?
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
I think the reason is because most don't fill up their homescreen with app shortcuts...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman