March 28, 2024, 05:24:10 AM

collapse

Author Topic: New minimalist(I try to be) Nexus owner  (Read 1315 times)

Derek

New minimalist(I try to be) Nexus owner
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:09:13 AM »
Hi everyone. I finally did it and got myself a Nexus 7! It's been a few days and I'm loving it.

At first I was afraid of the issues I've read about from a small percentage of Nexus tablets. The loose screen lifting from the unit, some micro USB ports not working, touch screen issues, and light bleeding from the side of the display screen. So far I haven't had any of these issues at all.

I wanted to get a tablet to actually minimize the amount of time spent on computers. Instead of starting up the computer just to check email and a few other things, I can just turn on the tablet screen, check those things, then turn the screen off. Then I put it away and do other stuff. I'm sure charging the battery now and then takes up less electricity than using a computer in this way. The tablet doesn't have any moving parts like SATA hard drives, fans, or disc drives. Even waking up a computer from sleep mode feels like starting up a car compared to this tablet. Everything is set up fine on my tablet so I'm all set!

Sometimes it will be hard to resist playing with this thing more. Netflix works great on it and I feel like watching a few movies on it just for the fun of it. So does YouTube. I even looked at a couple of the magazines the tablet came with. I haven't gotten my $25 credit yet. I'm still in the 14 day return period for the store where I bought this. I'm using it a lot during this period to make sure it's running right and it's a keeper. Then I'll use it as I intend and may register for my $25 credit. For now I guess I may as well have fun with it during the 14 day period. It's not often I get a new thing like this while it's still new on the market.

I've been reading through this forum. I skimmed every page of topics on some of the sub-forums here and bookmarked a lot of topic threads with helpful information. I copy and pasted the text of tips I wanted to remember and pasted them onto a rich text document. I don't plan to do any rooting but I may use Dropbox. Otherwise I don't have a need to store a lot of data on my tablet. I did email myself some MP3 music files and got those onto the tablet.

I was showing my sister the tablet last night but couldn't do much because dad kept interrupting and asking what is that thing. He thought it was a large cellphone. My sister really wanted to see the thing and I showed some of a Ralphie May video on Netflix on it. She just about ignored her iPhone 4S.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:14:46 AM by Derek »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: New minimalist(I try to be) Nexus owner
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 09:43:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum Derek. I am betting that the Nexus 7 will be a keeper for you.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Derek, sounds like your already enjoying your Nexus 7 but I think you'll enjoy it even more once you install some apps of your own and make it your device.
If you need any help, don't be afraid to post in the relevant sub-forums and anytime you can pull somebody away from an iP**e is always a good thing.

Derek

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:15:23 PM »
Thanks you two. I like this forum a lot.

I'm not interested in Apple products at all. I'm not militantly anti-Apple. I just don't care for them. I did consider the iPad 2, thinking it would be cheap since there's an iPad 3 on the market. I thought as long as I can do the basics like email and youtube and not buy anything from iTunes or whatever, I'd be fine. But the thing is 400 bucks and I decide no thanks.

I tried out a Samsung Galaxy Player 5 thinking I may like the small size. But the screen size didn't work for me. I set up a dummy Yahoo email account to try it out, not wanting to use my real email account on a display tablet that wasn't mine. The email layout was all crowded in the little screen and didn't suit me well. And there are the Galaxy Tabs but I was afraid the whole Apple vs. Samsung lawsuit thing might take away features from Samsung's tablets at some point. Dupe us with an 'update' or something. Otherwise I thought Samsung was cool because Apple tried to sue them. And when Apple did that and won a billion bucks, that made Samsung cool on a new level. Like martyr cool. But still, I didn't want a tablet that may get stripped down because of a judge or settlement.

One of the things I like about this Nexus is the battery life. It's nice to do things like watch Netflix streams for a while and see the battery percentage go down by single digits, rather than large fractions of the whole battery life. And this is with the Wi-fi and GPS left on.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman