March 28, 2024, 05:10:40 PM

collapse

Author Topic: To freeze or not to freeze  (Read 1540 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
To freeze or not to freeze
« on: September 16, 2012, 04:09:51 PM »
I have been trying to absorb as much info as I can when it comes to Android and the Nexus. Sometimes it seems there are some subjects that don't seem to have a definitive answer. For instance: anti virus or no anti virus? App killer or no app killer? As far as taking care of some of the bloat now that I am rooted, do I freeze or remove? From what I have read when dealing with system apps like the Korean language and magazine or currents its best to freeze because of the chance of having problems if there are any  ota updates to come.
What apps do you find to be wastes of space and resources and what is the correct process to put them on ice so to speak?

JayJ

Re: To freeze or not to freeze
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »
Personally I don't bother with Anti-Virus on my S2 or my N7, most mobile Malware is derived from applications with unusual permissions. Apps that hide text messages sent to premium rate numbers or apps that send your personal data to the makers.
My advice is to be mindful of what you install, read the permissions before installing the app and if you think it has permissions that exceed what you deem necessary for that particular application then don't install it.

App Killers, again I don't use these either. I'm a firm believer that Android does a good enough job of managing itself, it's not like Windows and doesn't require available RAM to launch an application or task because it will borrow the RAM if need from elsewhere. Also I've said this before and I'll say it again, some people believe killing processes and services help conserve battery but you think, if the Android OS started it in the first place it will start it again if killed so you set your task killer to kill every 30 minutes and Android will restart it, your task killer kills it, Android restarts it, task killer kills, Android restarts........on and on it goes and what's that doing to your battery??

Finally to Freeze or it to freeze, that is the question. Because it's a Nexus device I think it's safer to freeze. Okay so you won't free up any space because the application is still there just frozen but you will free up resources like RAM.
Since ICS Android now allows the disabling of most applications, try disabling one and then check you app list via Titanium, that's right it's frozen. That leads me to believe freezing an app will do no harm and is fully incorporated into the OS since ICS. In fact because I'm a UK Nexus 7 owner and some of Googles services are not available here in the UK some stock applications were frozen on my device when I receive it like Google Wallet, Google Magazines and Play store music search feature.
So I think freezing unwanted apps is the safest way forward.

Offline comiskeybum

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
Re: To freeze or not to freeze
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:55:15 PM »
Hey I thought ICS and jelly bean had native apps freezing? What happened to that?
Phone: Droid Bionic
Tablet: Nexus 7
Wife: Hot
Daughter: My precious

JayJ

Re: Re: To freeze or not to freeze
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Hey I thought ICS and jelly bean had native apps freezing? What happened to that?

Isn't that what I wrote?

Since ICS Android now allows the disabling of most applications, try disabling one and then check you app list via Titanium, that's right it's frozen. That leads me to believe freezing an app will do no harm and is fully incorporated into the OS since ICS. In fact because I'm a UK Nexus 7 owner and some of Googles services are not available here in the UK some stock applications were frozen on my device when I receive it like Google Wallet, Google Magazines and Play store music search feature.
So I think freezing unwanted apps is the safest way forward.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman