March 29, 2024, 01:50:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Think Google may come out with a larger tablet in 2013?  (Read 1715 times)

Offline DavidNavratil

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Think Google may come out with a larger tablet in 2013?
« on: September 29, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »
I dont' have any tablets or android devices and looking to purchase my 1st one.  I like the size of the new Kindle HD+ and also the new larger Nook HD.  I'm a little worried about buying a 7 Inch tables since I want to watch movies and read ebooks and wonder if a larger tablet would be more suited for that?  Any comments would help !!! Tks, Karen

**I've changed the name of this thread because the original name 'Think Nexus 7 will get a larger tablet in 2013' doesn't make sense'.   I've also moved this to 'The Lounge' as it's more appropriate there.*** - admin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:53:21 AM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline papaduc

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Think Nexus 7 may get a larger tablet in 2013?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
I'm sure at some point they will make a larger version but is it really needed?
For me it was finding that balance...larger screen vs lugging a larger device around.
I spent some time holding and viewing different devices in the stores to help make the decision.
Even if a Nexus 10 never shows up there are plenty of larger tablets to choose from.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Re: Think Google may come out with a larger tablet in 2013?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:49:57 AM »
For reading eBooks the 7 inch form factor is actually better than a 10 inch tablet imo.   It is difficult to hold a 10 inch tablet in one hand and it is a bit too big as well so the reading experience is cumbersome and becomes a two handed affair.   With the Nexus 7 you can easily read without getting tired and the smaller size makes it easier to take with you and stick in a jacket pocket etc which you could never do with a larger tablet. 

Also, I kind of doubt Google will come out with a larger tablet and here's why.   There are already a number of high quality 9 and 10 inch Android tablets on the market.  From the Galaxy Tab to the Asus Transformer to the Sony S and Iconia Tab...there's no shortage.  I don't think Google will want to alienate their hardware partners in Android by competing with them on two form factors.   The 7 inch Nexus 7 serves as their 'software' showcase for all the new editions of Android...just like the Nexus phone serves the same purpose on phones.   Just like they haven't come out with various form factors for the Nexus phone, I just don't see them doing the same for a tablet...at least not now.   I do however expect to see other versions of the Nexus 7...with 3G or 4G capability and eventually with higher resolutions in later generations.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Undo

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 06:57:52 PM »
I agree with Babyfacemagee, that reading books is best on a 7" tablet or even smaller. I use a five inch tablet for book reading when I'm away from home. But please, oh please, stop using the term "form factor!"

If you want a bigger tablet, buy an iPad. Best on the market, IMO.

[edit] On second thought, I haven't bought an iPad myself yet, so maybe an open-Android Nexus 9 or 10 would be nice, if it had a great screen like the 7 and was much cheaper than an iPad.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 08:40:06 AM by Undo »

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:17:07 PM »
I've heard the N10 may be in the pipeline.  Myself, I currently own both the N7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and aside from gaming, I tend to favor the smaller one surprisingly.  Even movie watching is easier on the smaller one.  I don't need both hands to hold the thing, I can actually have a beer or eat a sandwich while watching.  Gaming on the other hand, the zombie apocalypse needs to be big and epic.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts