March 28, 2024, 03:49:16 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Google Voice send SMS, but does not receive.  (Read 2292 times)

Offline jrdouce

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Google Voice send SMS, but does not receive.
« on: October 02, 2012, 08:50:03 AM »
I am able to send SMS texts from my N7, but replies all go, and only go, to my mobile phone.  That is the number associated with my GVoice number, so I understand why my phone gets the reply, but it defeats the purpose of using GVoice, if the sending device is not included.

I'm hoping there is a setting somewhere that I have missed. 

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks

Offline charlie

• View Profile
Re: Google Voice send SMS, but does not receive.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
the settings in google voice are wrong, you will have to change some settings in there to get it to work properly.

Offline charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
try this.

{GUIDE} Placing and receiving calls over Wi-Fi using Talkatone and Google Voice
I wanted to contribute to this forum and thought I would start by putting a very simple guide together for placing and receiving calls with the Nexus 7 using Talkatone and Google Voice over Wi-Fi.

As a declaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk. I only mention this because the developer of the Talkatone app does not support the Nexus 7 device. I will add that I have installed this on my wife's Nexus 7 and have had no issue as of this guide.

I would like to acknowledge drsky125 who mentioned Talkatone in another thread and this is how I found out about the app.

The main reason for putting this guide together was I have seen other guides on the web that seemed very complicated. Talkatone has done a great job walking the user through the steps to set this up.

1. Create a Google Voice Account if you do not already have one. This is a very simple process. Just follow this link https://www.google.com/voice Once you have established your Google Voice Number, you will need to add a couple settings to your account.

A. Select your access number from the left side menu by clicking on the number. This will bring you into the settings page.
C. Select "Phone" tab and check off "Google Chat"
B. Select the "Voice Mail & Text" Tab and check off "Text Forwarding" This will allow you to receive text messages.
C. Select "Save Settings" button to commit these changes.

2. Follow this link to download the Talkatone app from the developers webside Talkatone for Android (side loading version) Scroll down to the bottom of the page and check off "I read and acknowledge the above mentioned limitations" and then select "Download APK" Button. As of this guide, if you try and download the app from Google Play, You will not be able to so because the developer has not included the Nexus 7 as a supported device. For more information check their F.A.Q page.

3. Install the Talkatone app. Once the app is installed, open the app and when you are prompted log into your Google Account. You will receive an email from Talkatone outlining the steps above.

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 04:17:11 PM »
try this.

{GUIDE} Placing and receiving calls over Wi-Fi using Talkatone and Google Voice
I wanted to contribute to this forum and thought I would start by putting a very simple guide together for placing and receiving calls with the Nexus 7 using Talkatone and Google Voice over Wi-Fi.

As a declaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk. I only mention this because the developer of the Talkatone app does not support the Nexus 7 device. I will add that I have installed this on my wife's Nexus 7 and have had no issue as of this guide.

I just double-checked my acct on Google Play --

I downloaded Talkatone from GP; my account shows the app installed and it also shows it to be compatible with the Nexus 7. So not sure about your paragraph above re: the Talkatone developer does not support the N7.

Cheers,
- martyh

Offline charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »
I use it on my n7, and it works great.

Offline jrdouce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
Several hours later I did receive a string of old texts.  It must have taken a while to sync.  It is still too slow to be useful, so I I'm giving Talkatone a try.
Thanks

Offline ctrlz

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »
Give Tablet talk a try.  It syncs with the phone for SMS perfectly 
CtrlZ

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts