March 28, 2024, 07:56:28 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Gumdrop Cases  (Read 10347 times)

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Gumdrop Cases
« on: October 03, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
Just wanted to let people know that the N7 gumdrop cases should be here this month. For those of you who don't know what a gumdrop case is it is a 3 piece case that is extraordinarily durable and is military grade. http://www.gumdropcases.com/google-nexus-7-droptech.html

Their worth every penny.

Offline golfbum

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Gumdrop Cases
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:59 PM »
Are they kidding?????  50 bucks. 25 per cent of the cost of the tablet for a cover.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
Re: Re: Gumdrop Cases
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
Are they kidding?????  50 bucks. 25 per cent of the cost of the tablet for a cover.

Worth every penny

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:11:05 AM »
Got my case today and this thing is so sweet. You get 7 inch form factor without having the folio case getting in the way.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:36:43 AM »
The prices for some of the accessories make no sense. $50 for  a hunk of vulcanized rubber. Don't get me wrong . It looks great and serves a purpose but when you are in the market for a tablet at this price point, a lot of folks are choosing 8 less gigs to save $50. I would never sacrifice space for a snazzy piece of rubber or even a cover that puts the machine to sleep or whatever. I am in the wrong business. Anyone want to invest in a silicon factory in the NE United States?
Military grade? What really does that mean? It is a loose term to get the average person like me to think that it is some special material that will let me see through walls or in the dark.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 11:46:19 AM by bjs229 »

Offline Shaiy007

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »
I have to agree with you on that. What they're asking for a case made of cheap material that's mass produced, in my opinion, is just plain ridiculous! No way should any case cost 25% of the cost of the damned tablet, but as long as people are gullible enough to buy it, the company is probably laughing all the way to the bank. Only in America....

Offline strollin

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 08:29:04 AM »
I could see the need for a case like this is you use your N7 in a harsh environment a lot but I mostly use mine at home so have no need for a case like this.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 10:11:57 AM »
Here's the thing guys because you bought a cheap a tablet doesn't make the accessories any cheaper. I'm not really sure about your logic in that. I like to really protect my devices without having to sacrifice size or usability. They sell all their cases for same price for that size. So a 600 dollar infinity tablet case is $60. Did you expect it to be more? My Bose Bluetooth speaker was more than my tablet. Does that make it any less awesome? No.

I understand that you guys haven't had one of these cases so you don't realize that material they are made out of isn't exactly cheap. And when they say these cases are military grade it actually means something here: this case will allow your tablet to with stand a lot of abuse, you may not have a need for it but I do. Considering otter box doesn't make a case for the N7 this is your only option.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 10:13:49 AM by fxsarge »

Tsarli

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:25:42 PM »
Is there an alternative to these Gumdrop cases? Some knockoff that pretty much does the same thing minus the brand name (and the astronomical price).

Offline olc

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:48 AM »
Depends how rugged a case you need. I got a silicone one that's pretty protective on ebay for under $5 delivered.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 09:06:13 AM »
I also have a TPU case that was fairly inexpensive. I think around six bucks with a screen protector and stylus. Looks and works great as a minimalist. My daily driver is a leather folio style. It has a wake/lock feature and 360 degree rotation to use the kickstand in many positions. The handstrap is nice, but my favorite feature is how the case clips onto the sides of the N7 without any part of it obstructing the face of my device.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 02:55:49 PM »
Is there an alternative to these Gumdrop cases? Some knockoff that pretty much does the same thing minus the brand name (and the astronomical price).

Your next best thing is a bobj gear case. The tpu cases the other guys are talking about aren't even in the same ball park.

Tsarli

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 05:15:58 PM »
For $20, the BobJ Gear case seems like an excellent alternative, thanks! The $50 Gumdrop is difficult to justify specially in this economy.

Offline n3vry

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »
I just ordered my Gumdrop case. Seems Otterbox won't be making a case for the Nexus 7. I have been looking at one for my Transformer.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 01:32:53 AM »
For $20, the BobJ Gear case seems like an excellent alternative, thanks! The $50 Gumdrop is difficult to justify specially in this economy.

The bobj isn't as nice as the gumdrop but its the only other case that offers similar protection. I've always liked otter box but they just refuse to build cases for Android tablets.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman