March 28, 2024, 02:30:24 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Asus Nexus 7 Product Page Reveals New Tech Details/Mysteries  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

Yes, we're fanatical Android lovers and we're proud of it so when Google and Asus launch a tablet we want to know every last nitty gritty detail about the hardware we're about to plunk our hard earned cash on.  Well I'm happy to say that upon perusing the Asus product page for the Nexus 7 I stumbled upon a few more details that previously hadn't been reported about our beloved 7 inch tablet and while I dare to say it's all good news I have to admit one item raises a bit of a question. 

First the good news:   As you can see in the screen capture of the specifications below from the Asus site it looks like the Nexus 7 will have both stereo microphones as well as speakers.  We previously found out the Nexus 7 had dual speakers from the iFixit teardown but this is the first time I'm aware of seeing that we're also getting stereo microphones.   Another nice spec that while not new certainly hasn't gotten as much buzz as it warrants is the 10 point multi-touch.  Considering the Kindle Fire only has 2 point multi-touch (can you even call that multi? 'dualtouch' anyone? :) ) it should be getting more press.

Moving on to the sensors area we see a 'Hall Sensor' which is a term used for the 'magnetometer' and is used to sense changes in magnetic fields.  I also hadn't heard mention of an E-compass and the G-Sensor is another name for the 'Accelerometer'.

Next up is an official name for the myserious Corning 'scratch resistant' glass that is used in the display.   Google and Asus specifically stated that it technically was not using 'Gorilla Glass' and thus many have wondered just what it was?  Well it's being called Corning 'Fit' Glass for what it's worth and how it compares in strength and scratch resistance we'll just have to wait and see.  We're also being told the the Nexus 7 display uses TruVivid Technology which apparently improves color clarity.

Further down the page we come to the one 'mystery' item that should be interesting to test out.   We all know by now that the Nexus 7 includes a front facing 1.2 megapixel camera but according to the graphic below this camera will have a feature called 'Single Motion Panoramic Mode' and will also be able to take 720p video.  Now this sounds a little strange to me considering we're talking about a 1.2 megapixel front facing camera.   Are we to assume then that Asus is expecting us to hold up our Nexus 7 tablets with the screen facing away from us and to pan the tablet horizontally to take automatic panoramic pictures similar to what you'll find in a good point and shoot camera?  Is this feature a leftover from a time when the Nexus 7 featured a back camera?  What do you think?  Should be interesting to try this in person.

All in all though it's good news and I definitely recommend you check out the Asus Nexus 7 site as there's a few cool graphics and pictures that we haven't seen released before. You can get there at this link.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:44:39 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
Re: Asus Nexus 7 Product Page Reveals New Tech Details/Mysteries
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 07:29:53 AM »
It just keeps getting better. 

Now if I just don't go crazy while I wait for this thing to ship.  :o

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:21:53 AM »
I dig the 'face unlock'!
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline garryknight

• Popularity: 0
  • Waiting for my 16GB Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
"Getting more press"! :-D
I see what you did there...
Garry Knight

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
Thanks for the update on this, and yeah it just keeps getting better.  I hoped they would announce the ship date by now, but nothing yet.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman