March 29, 2024, 09:20:07 AM

collapse

Author Topic: I Need a keyboard  (Read 16419 times)

Offline paxham

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
I Need a keyboard
« on: October 14, 2012, 09:27:00 AM »
Something portable (roll up?), comfortable and economical.  I am about ready to pull the trigger on this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0091J4VNI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A3E5K6GEFSI075

but it looks a little small and there are no reviews.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: I Need a keyboard
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »
I would personally avoid membrane keys, and stay with conventional spring-loaded keys. If you go with your choice, let us know how it works out.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline woodjohn

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 04:29:47 AM »

Hi.

Has anyone tried this  http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nexus+7+keyboard&_sacat=0&_from=R40   sort of thing and are they any good?

John.

Offline amwmilner

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:16:36 AM »
John

The cable arrangement is a bit ungainly, the keys are quite short travel and you may need an adapter, but it is pretty good for the money. There is similar bluetooth arrangement out there somewhere with a detachable keyboard, but it is rather pricier.

Tony

Offline arborij

• Android Nerd
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 06:38:06 AM »
I agree with John, the membrane keys are cool for the first day or two, but they are definitely more problems than they are worth.  Looking at the posted eBay page, I like the third one down, the one that costs £23.99.  It makes it work very similar to a laptop, which could be quite useful.
Droid OG (Retired), Droid 2 (Retired), Droid 3(Retired), Droid X (Retired), Droid X2 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked, Undervoltaged), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Stock)
Nexus 7 (Unlocked, Rooted, Undervoltaged)
Please click "Thumbs up" if somebody posts something helpf

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »
I just ordered a Motorola Wireless Keyboard with Cover from Woot!  It is a daily deal for today only.

I think I'll either really love it or hate it, but I'm hoping it will be useful.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline paxham

• View Profile
Keyboard update
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
I bought an adapter and the rollup keyboard and plugged everything in and ... nothing.  I actually don't know what to expect other than keyboard functionality, but I don't have that either, no clicks, no runs, no errors.  I tried the keyboard out on my PC and it works pretty well so maybe it is the adapter.  I tried the same thing with no result on my Droidx2 phone.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 12:27:54 PM »
I don't use a USB keyboard so I am ignorant to the whole thing. I bought a tablet for a few reasons. A couple of them being portability and sleekness that I didn't get with a laptop. I already have a mind blowing amount of crap I take with me between cords, sticks and drives. A keyboard too? I might as well just go back to the laptop.
Anyway, you would think that the bluetooth would be built into the keyboard and just recognized by the mate device. Having to use an adapter takes away a lot of aftermarket Nexus 7 options doesn't it?
I am assuming this is a bluetooth adapter that has to plug into the Nexus?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 02:51:12 PM by bjs229 »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 12:48:56 PM »
You might have to enable the keyboard at least the first time using it. Go to menu>settings > language and input. See if the keyboard shows up. Check the box to enable it...

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:18:33 PM »
if you are still having a problem, you may have purchased the wrong adapter. 

I have the keyboard case shown in the previous pictures.  Keyboard is pretty small but still better than the screen keyboards.  The case is thick and the you will need to put a piece of rubber innertube /whatever under the N7 to keep it from sliding around.  I use the inexpensive OTG cables from amazon and the keyboard works fine just plugged into that.  No software needed unless you want to custom program keys.  But ANY USB keyboard works so you can make a kind of docking area if you like with your current keyboard, cable to speakers, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/T-Flash-Adapter-Samsung-GT-i9100-GT-N7000/dp/B005FUNYSA/ref=pd_rhf_se_s_cp_25

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 08:37:42 PM »
Bigtroutz, I bought the adapter you linked to.

loociddreemr, I tried what you suggested and didn't see anything I recognized in the list.  I checked and unchecked everything.  No luck.  I've read that these adapters are touchy and don't always work.  I can't really say.

bjs, this is NOT bluetooth.  If I had a blue tooth keyboard perhaps all this would go away.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 11:23:05 PM »
My bad.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:37 PM »
Can you confirm that the keyboard works on a PC? If it does, it may be a power issue. I'm not sure about how much power is required by the keyboard and how much is supplied through the OTG cable.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline paxham

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 09:26:50 AM »
@loociddreemr

Sorry for the delayed reply.  I've been on the road  for the last couple weeks. 

Yes, it works on my PC. 

I like the design of this keyboard.  It rolls up and fits nicely in my bag.  The key response is not perfect, but pretty good.  That said, I'll probably send it back and look for something else.  I just haven't found one that fits my specs, a foldable or rollup keyboard that opens up to near full size.  Bluetooth seems to be the way to go, so I'll go with that.  Bottom line?  I need a compact, lightweight keyboard I can carry with me when I want to do some serious typing.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 02:13:53 PM »
A Bluetooth keyboard has batteries to draw power from. A USB keyboard draws from its host. The nexus may not be supplying enough. Let us know what you decide to go with.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts