March 28, 2024, 02:29:14 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Nexus 7 loses all WiFi connections  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Fireball

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Nexus 7 loses all WiFi connections
« on: October 26, 2012, 07:20:42 AM »
Had this replacement device for 1-week (faulty power lead on previous version) & it occasionally loses all WiFi connections.  Looking through the list of available WiFi nodes (of which there's normally 5 or 6 available), all are suddenly not available.  A complete reset (holding power button for 5-sec & then re-starting) seems to clear the problem.  Is this a hardware or software problem - should I exchange it for another replacement?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Nexus 7 loses all WiFi connections
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
I think that we need some more info. Is your Nexus stock? Rooted? Have you installed any apps that have access to your wifi radio? Does this occasional problem crop up at any certain time meaning when running a certain combination of apps? Does it happen at home or work or everywhere just at random?
I had problems of the same nature. I narrowed it down to my phone and the hotspot app I was using.
When you say available what do you mean? Do you mean you have connected to them in the past and they are saved or they are secured, meaning  that they are a neighbor and locked? You should have a list of all the wifi signals that the machine is picking up in your range and has connected to in the past. Some of that list may not  be not in range at the moment.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 11:26:17 AM by bjs229 »

Offline Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
This is a stock Nexus.  I have a number of Apps that use WiFi including The Mail newspaper, Tripadvisor, Linked-in, iPlayer, Youtube, Weather Channel, Sky, Skype, BT WiFi.  I cannot determine any pattern as it occurs when I use  & also when my daughter uses it (her Apps are somewhat different to mine!).  It happens at different locations & it seems like the WiFi just stops working - it loses all coverage on all live wifi signals (both unsecured & secured eg. neighbours).  The previous Nexus I had used the same apps & locations with no problem.
I'm guessing I'd be best off getting another replacement...?

Offline optimalbeast

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »
Before you go replacing it, try doing a fill factory reset.... don't select the option to restore your settings.  I think you downloaded a junk app that is messing with the WiFi.

After the reset, go to Google Play and get the updates for all the stock apps.  Probably takes about 10 minutes or so.

After all the updates are downloaded, try surfing the net, watching YouTube,  check gmail, etc.... see if the WiFi problem persists.  If everything is fine, then you probably downloaded a bad app before. 

When reinstalling apps, just do it 1 at a time so you can isolate and figure out which app(s) are causing problems w/ WiFi.  I would also be careful about letting your daughter just have free reign with downloading apps...

Also, you may have something in the house that is simply interfering with the work signal (e.g. household appliance... is the microwave or cordless phone on when you notice WiFi problems?). Could also be that there are too many access points using the same wifi channel (e.g. you and 3 of your neighbors's wifi in range are all using channel 6 ...) .... that could cause some issues with it coming in/out....

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:27:06 PM »
I was thinking along the same lines as a rogue app or whatever you want to call it. Especially when you mention 2 users sharing and downloading etc..
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:12:13 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:01:22 AM »
I started your recommendation but realised it would take many hours to do (given the failure occurred so randomly) so gave up, returned it to the shop (Currys) & they replaced my 16GB with a 32GB at no extra cost!
I auto-installed everything & the new unit operates perfectly so a good result!!

Thanks for your help....

(PS.  I've seen reports of screen flickering at low screen brightness levels - my 1st Nexus had this, but replacements were OK)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:55:34 PM »
Congrats on the 32. It is probably a good idea to learn how to root and backup so you can restore if things start to go awry again.
You will probably be happen when the new update comes out that allows for multiple users.

Offline Fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
Excuse me for going off-topic a bit, but why would I want to root my device when everything is backed-up onto Play?  The only reason I've seen that i'd want to root is to use an external USB drive but I use Nexus Media Importer & File Manager for this which seems to work fine.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 09:36:42 AM »
Rooting allows you to do two or three step system and apps/data (Nandroid)  backups. Backups to Google Play force you to manually restore each and every app. There are many other reasons, like changing the UI, launcher, nav bar colors, enabling usb-otg hosting -  all giving you the power to control your Nexus 7.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Nexus 7 loses all WiFi connections
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 11:15:36 AM »
Excuse me for going off-topic a bit, but why would I want to root my device when everything is backed-up onto Play?  The only reason I've seen that i'd want to root is to use an external USB drive but I use Nexus Media Importer & File Manager for this which seems to work fine.
You would have the ability to restore back to an earlier point when your system was stable. You could also batch install all your apps. When you say everything is backed up onto Play. You mean your apps? If you have to reset your device you will probably lose data and settings and have to reinstall everything individually. Also, as far as I know you can't write to usb sd with Media Importer app.(look but don't touch) I was limited to not being able to designate certain files to be opened by specific apps. There are a lot of advantages that rooting gives you over stock. The ability to save a Nandroid backup is a big one for me. If you are happy where you are at that's great. That is what it's all about.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman