March 28, 2024, 07:55:16 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Charging Time?  (Read 4464 times)

Offline jrdouce

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Charging Time?
« on: November 01, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »
Just wondering how long other's Nexus 7 takes to fully charge?

Mine charge time seems unreasonably long.  It was at 35% when I plugged in into my PC, after 4 hours of not using it, it's at 66%.  Battery drain isn't bad, sometime it's worse than others depending on what apps - like live wallpapers, I've got installed.   But at this rate it will take 12 hours to charge.    I'm not sure it's always this bad, but it does take several hours every time.

Just curious, is this common?  Is there something I can do to speed it up?

Thanks

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Time?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:52 PM »
I found that usb charging takes a great deal longer than just  using the supplied adapter and plugging into the electric outlet.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:33:06 PM by bjs229 »

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 01:17:35 PM »
A USB on a PC doesn't provide as high current as the AC adapter so won't charge as quickly...

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 01:18:15 PM »
USB 2.0, the most common type of usb port,  delivers 5 volts at 1/2 amp,  whereas the wall charger that comes with the Nexus 7 delivers 5 volts at 2 amps, if I read the small print on the charger correctly. The higher the amps from the charger, the faster the device charges.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline gp123

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
My N7 charges from 10% to 100% in about 3 hours using the charger that came with the unit.  I tried another charger spec-ed at 5v @ 2.1 a and it took about 2 hours longer to fully charge.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 05:49:56 PM »
There you go. Use the supplied wall adapter and you should have much better results.

Offline jrdouce

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 06:09:20 AM »
Thanks all.  I was unaware of that.  I always thought, since the USB port is a computer standard, that the wall chargers emulated that.  Good to know. 

I charge using the supplied charger and wall outlet about 1/2 the time, but that's over night when I don't see how fast it is.  I only see how slow it is when I'm trying to charge it at my desk before I leave work.

Offline NSILMike

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:08 AM »
Yes, USB is a defined standard.  A compliant USB port on a PC will always be 5V output, and 500mA.   However, many USB ports on PCs may be 'hub' ports, so that 500mA can be shared between multiple devices. (In win 7 go to device manager, find one of the hubs, right click it and go to properties then to the power tab to see who is using that specific port, if you are interested.) 
However... the designer of the USB device is essentially free to build the battery charging circuits to handle higher current, which does not 'violate' the standard.  So, in general you could use any usb charging dongle on any usb device as long as you check the dongle for current output and you don't exceed the current supply shown on the specific dongle meant for your specific gadget. 
Too much info...?   :D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts