March 29, 2024, 08:13:28 AM

collapse

Author Topic: New Nexus 7, 32GB owner. I am having very bad battery life.. Details inside.  (Read 9574 times)

Offline Tominator

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
I recently purchased a Nexus 7 32GB from Google Play. It was the first android device I have ever owned. I really love it, but the problem I am having is poor battery life.
I have set brightness to near minimum and use a task killer. Despite that I am averaging only 4 hrs of web surf time, even though Google claims up to 10 HRS ( I realize this is under ideal circumstances) but i'm getting less than half that.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks.
EDIT..... I own the WIFI only version
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:10:28 PM by Tominator »

Offline Gunner6101

• View Profile
First things first my friend do us all here a favor and get rid of the task killer since android 2.1 they have done more harm than good android at this point does all of that itself and second if you go to the settings menu and the select battery it will show you what apps are using the most power and from there you can decide whether you want in un install   the app or not. From my experience the screen should always be the largest power user I leave my 16 gig on auto brightness all the time and even with moderate usage I usually get close to a day on 1 charge
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:22:01 AM by Gunner6101 »

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
I suggest you go to settings > battery, and identify what processes are hogging your battery life.  Screen should be using 90+%.  Judging from your short battery life, I'll guess your screen is using about 70%, and some other process is hogging about 30%.  When you identify that, you can try to stop it or remove it.  An app like OS Monitor will help you see past a generic "media services" report.
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline seamonkey

• View Profile
I own a nexus 7 also and I'm finding the thing more and more annoying to use generally... Do they actually want people to buy these things??? Nothing works properly.  The app store is practically alien compared to the phone app store and most apps don't even work on this white elephant.   Anyway the reason for this reply is to ask any of you guys above a question..
Is it possible to actually start a topic on this nexus app, or is it only good to read and reply to others ?  I'm not finding a way to start a topic.   

I would appreciate a reply.  Thanks.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
seamonkey, I would recommend you read our forum rules and post the question you have using a PC browser rather than using the tapatalk app that you don't seem to fully know how to use yet.  That way you can get some better help from someone that is more savvy with the app.  We have thousands of Nexus 7 owners here every day that don't have the problems that you are having which makes me think you need to familiarize yourself with the device more and perhaps with the Android OS and Google Play Store as well.  Also, we don't allow 'bashing' on this forum so if you want to state something please do it in an appropriate manner.  Thanks.

admin.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Actually there was a guide to creating a new topic using Tapatalk posted yesterday in User Tips.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Just when I thought I would never see alien and white elephant in the same sentence.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I haven't tested yet but I feel like my battery lifespan is shorter now that I have this 32. I calibrated it and it's fully charged. I decided to document how many actual hrs I get of MY daily use before I need to charge. I am keeping screen brightness on 18%. It's 8:20 am starting time.

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
First things first my friend do us all here a favor and get rid of the task killer since android 2.1 they have done more harm than good android at this point does all of that itself

As a 30+ year computer user I am going to say:
1) no offense, but that's your opinion and I have read it on other forums as well.  Other people have other opinions, and this is good.

2) task killers are generally FINE on android as far as I can see.  Not many users generate data on android and losing data from a task shutdown is unlikely in any case. Of course, it is up to you to do your due diligence and not leave important data files open and apps vulnerable- is there such a thing as an important file on a nexus 7 ? Apps crash all the time in any case - so what ? Restart it.

3)  Android apps/processes have a bad habit of re-opening automatically at random moments without user intervention, fail to close or don't even have an close app button - this is wild wild west BS; imo if they can open whenever they want, I can smash them whenever I want  :o

4) it is my puter and i can do whatever I want (and face the consequences too) so just as I msconfig etc out autostarts, tray apps, and kill processes installed by trash apps on my pc, it is perfectly ok to perform the equivalent operations on Android

yes yes, Android is meant to clean up after itself and keep stuff in memory in case it might be used again, free RAM when it needs it and it even mostly does a good enough job at it except when it does NOT - but i just don't care if it saves 10 nanoseconds from this or that.  I don't expect maximal performance from this toy - I have a infinitely more powerful desktop computer for performance.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:39:25 AM by Bigtroutz »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: BBC IPLAYER
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »
How are you trying to move the files? Are you connected usb?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
First things first my friend do us all here a favor and get rid of the task killer since android 2.1 they have done more harm than good android at this point does all of that itself

As a 30+ year computer user I am going to say:
1) no offense, but that's your opinion and I have read it on other forums as well.  Other people have other opinions, and this is good.

2) task killers are generally FINE on android as far as I can see.  Not many users generate data on android and losing data from a task shutdown is unlikely in any case. Of course, it is up to you to do your due diligence and not leave important data files open and apps vulnerable- is there such a thing as an important file on a nexus 7 ? Apps crash all the time in any case - so what ? Restart it.

3)  Android apps/processes have a bad habit of re-opening automatically at random moments without user intervention, fail to close or don't even have an close app button - this is wild wild west BS; imo if they can open whenever they want, I can smash them whenever I want  :o

4) it is my puter and i can do whatever I want (and face the consequences too) so just as I msconfig etc out autostarts, tray apps, and kill processes installed by trash apps on my pc, it is perfectly ok to perform the equivalent operations on Android

yes yes, Android is meant to clean up after itself and keep stuff in memory in case it might be used again, free RAM when it needs it and it even mostly does a good enough job at it except when it does NOT - but i just don't care if it saves 10 nanoseconds from this or that.  I don't expect maximal performance from this toy - I have a infinitely more powerful desktop computer for performance.
Toy? It is your puter and you can do what you want with it? Smash them if you want to? Not many android users generate data? Is there such a thing as an important file on a Nexus 7.I don't know if you are being serious or joking but coming from a self described 30 plus year computer user, I hope u are just playing around. Someone who has your amount of experience should know that Android isn't a Windows PC. It is a fact that task killers can affect the performance of Jellybean and Android has done an excellent job of managing the relatively small amount of ram to keep these amazing little machines flying. You could expect maximal performance if you would let it do its job. The way you describe it makes me think of that game whack a mole but instead of moles they are androids. :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:03:13 AM by bjs229 »

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
hehe, yes bjs229,  a certain amount of sarcasm but it IS a toy.   I do what i want with my puters and abuse the heck outta them and why not ?.  They don't seem to mind much.  I install apps and remove them at a furious pace.  So much to play with lol, so much to learn, so little time.  Were you expecting more from your 200 bux ?

Android 4.1 is a toy operating system too.  Linux writ small.  They have done well enough with 4.1 but it still has plenty of warts.  Nobody I know is going to use a N7 & Android to take over the world.  When I have a choice of manually or even auto running a task killer to close apps that have no close button or close ad/sync processes that open randomly, or run any app, that is my choice and as valid as yours.  I have yet to see anything bad happen and I do not notice any ill effects.  Of course, I am old and slow anyway, so might be just me !!

Like I said. who cares about a few nanoseconds when it take the human seconds to respond or the fact that a desktop is an order of magnitude or two more powerful/fast/capable.  We don't use nexus 7's for power or speed (if you do, you are ill advised )--- we run them because they are convenient or cool in their portability.  My copy of Jelly Bean will just have to melt along with my abuse using task killers, which work fine and rarely have significant bad outcomes.  Those are the realities.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I gotcha. I like the sarcasm. I put my machines thru their paces as well. That's how I learn. I just remember using a task killer on a phone I had and it jacked it all up. So I kinda learned my lesson. Don't get me wrong. If an app is giving me a problem I will cut its jimijawns off in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 01:39:10 AM by bjs229 »

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
Take 2 examples:
Easy Task Killer Advanced    2Easy Team   /Tools
(4.6 stars  276,334 reviews)

Advanced Task Killer  ReChild  /Productivity
(4.5 stars  410,001 reviews)
------------------------
I very much doubt you get that number of excellent reviews with an app that destroys your device or even does NOT do it's job - closing tasks you don't want running in a half baked manner.  I have used them both and they both work fine. 

When apps all have a close/exit button that actually stops ALL execution and are well behaved there will not be any need for such tools.  As it is now, I use them and a few other people apparently need them too.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
My battery life seems less than my 16. I was at 30 percent after three hours of browsing on low light. I also have the screen lightning more often. I I wish I could catch it on a capture. When does that Nexus 10 come out? <evilgrin>>:D

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman