March 28, 2024, 04:29:28 AM

collapse

Author Topic: 'The Verge' on the 3G Nexus 7: "why I'm never buying a Wi-Fi tablet again"  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

It's not often that we steer members of the forum to read an article on another tech site but once in a while we agree so whole heartedly with a columnist that we make an exception.  That's the case with 'The Verge's' review of the 3G enabled Nexus 7 or what they like to call 'Nexus 7 with mobile data'.  Now to be sure there's not a whole lot different hardware-wise between the Wi-Fi Nexus 7s that most of us now know and love and the just released HSPA+ 3G enabled Nexus 7.  Sure it has 32GB of memory but you can get a Wi-Fi only Nexus 7 for $249 that has that.  But for just $50 more...$299 you get that sim card slot and as David Pierce explains in his review the mobility and convenience of having 'always on' connectivity on a well designed, yet portable tablet like the Nexus 7 made him state 'why I'm never buying a Wi-Fi tablet again'. 

Some interesting takeaways from the article before I provide the link.  Sure, there have been other tablets with always on mobile capability before.  There's the iPad, the Kindle and the just released iPad Mini as well.   But all of these fall short of what the Nexus 7 offers and here's why.   The iPad for one...is just too big.  It's not convenient to take with you everywhere and most definitely won't fit in your jacket or pants pocket like the Nexus 7.  It's expensive too...with the cheapest models sporting mobile data starting at $529 for an iPad 2 or $629 for the new 4th generation iPad.   That's nearly twice the price of the Nexus 7...and not as portable.   

Then there's the Kindle.   Here you have a portable device with 'whispersync' always on capability but let's be serious.   The Kindle is not a tablet.  It's an ereader and doesn't provide...or even pretend to provide the level of functionality or potential that a full tablet OS like the Nexus 7's Android has.

Finally there's the iPad Mini.   But as David points out... while it has that great app selection(although Android is closing the gap fast) and portability going for it (although not quite as portable as the Nexus7) the lowest price for an iPad Mini with mobile cellular data is $459...and that's with 16GB.  If you want 32GB you'll pony up $559....again, almost twice the price of the Nexus 7. 

The end conclusion is this.  The most affordable and most functional tablet with mobile data. that just 'makes sense'...is the Nexus 7.  Other options either cost an arm and a leg...or are too unwieldly or limited.   This is why I predict that Google will sell a boatload of HSPA+ equipped Nexus 7s this holiday season.  I know I'm getting one.  Here's the link to the full article but don't forget to come back and give us your opinion in the comments below:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 06:36:57 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

Re: 'The Verge' on the 3G Nexus 7: "why I'm never buying a Wi-Fi tablet again"
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
I agreed that the Nexus 7 is the best choice if you specifically want a tablet with data but nothing here makes me change opinion on a data enabled tablet.
When I bought my PS Vita or before I actually bought it I knew I needed data, my contract phone only has 1250MB data per month and trust me when I say I can quite easily eat that in no time, so after seeing the Huawei MiFi on a popular UK Gadget program and my mobile carrier wanting to charging a fortune to increase my mobile data I decided the MiFi was the best option for me and now with my N7 having another bill to pay in the form of another data account would just be ridiculous. I'd be even happier if my phone had true unlimited data and I could dump the MiFi and tether either my PS Vita or my Nexus 7 when needed.
Why anybody would want multiple data accounts whether pre-paid or contact is beyond me, if I had a data account for my PS Vita and another for my Nexus 7 I'd have three including my phone and I still wouldn't be able to tether my phone when I used it's monthly data allowance.

Just my two pence/cents with on this whole Wi-Fi/Mobile data saga...

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »
What about one wireless data account with two devices on it.  That would make sense and I'm surprised carriers don't offer this...at least not that I know of.  There's an opportunity just waiting for someone...especially with so many people having multiple devices these days.  That way you could just grab whichever device that's right for the situation and they'd both just connect to the same account.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:55:39 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline EFIN

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:37 PM »
With WiFi tethering, my WiFi only Nexus' connection is always on and I don't need to spend the additional cost for a 3/4G tablet, or the additional monthly unit fee on my cellular carrier.  Win win.

JayJ

What about one wireless data account with two devices on it.  That would make sense and I'm surprised carriers don't offer this...at least not that I know of.  There's an opportunity just waiting for someone...especially with so many people having multiple devices these days.  That way you could just grab whichever device that's right for the situation and they'd both just connect to the same account.

That would make much more sense, it's actually a very good idea but mobile carriers don't want you to have multiple devices on one account because they want to screw every last penny/cent they can out of us...
The only other thing that wouldn't work if when one device uses 4G and others don't??

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman