April 23, 2024, 11:50:12 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Help With Updating To 4.2  (Read 9024 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Help With Updating To 4.2
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
Did you hit the restore backup button

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:08 PM »
Hmm, what 'bout this?  Maybe I didn't hve the developer options turned on.  I was looking for it in this 4.2.1 and it wasn't in the same place as in 4.1.  So I found that weird dance that you have to do to turn the dev. options on.  Tap the build number 7 times (?)
So maybe now I'll try rooting again....

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
I'm not really sure why you lost root if you have root keeper installed and had a backup of the su. I am a little confused now that you rerooted. Not exactly sure where you are in the process.
Did you try and restore your su backup with root keeper? There is a button.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
Um, I didn't see any button on Rootkeeper, but I looked.  Yeah I'll work on this some more and see where I get...

r

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 04:19:36 PM »
OK, so now I've got it rooted and all of my apps back... that was a long haul! 

But now I'd like to try to get some of the game data back instead of having to start all over again.  I tried restoring from the file where I thought I made a back-up to, on this pc, but no luck.  I also hve some files, that I think contain data, in my dropbox but I'm not sure how to extract them.  ...Your're probably sayin', how'd you get them there in the first place... Maybe I can drag them to the N7 when opened on the pc.

r

JayJ

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »
Install Solid Explorer from GP with which you can access your Dropbox account and copy the TiBu backup folder back onto your N7, if you use your PC you'll just have the problems you previously had with files not showing et cetera...

Oh the perils of MTP...

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 06:04:06 PM »
Radio. How did you do it? Did you have a SU backup or you didn't bother with Rootkeeper? The app has buttons that's how you use it.

Nexus 7/32 Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 06:06:21 PM by bjs229 »

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 10:40:51 PM »
Oh I'm not sure, to tell the truth bjs.  Rootkeeper didn't have the buttons at first.  I guess it was a combo of things.  I had to find the 'hidden' developer options to check the debug mode.  Also a lot of operator error~ I was specifying my earlier build, not the current build (JOP40D) after the update.

I think I'll just be content in knowing that I have the most current update and that I'm rooted.  The data backups were just not happening.  I'll start over and enjoy my tab...

radio

JayJ

« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:32 PM »
I'm a little confused, what were your steps exactly radio? Are you rooted and on 4.2??

Flashing the factory image wrote the whole of your device so if you backed up root before flashing the factory image then you'd have list the Voodoo OTA RK backup...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2©

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 10:17:09 PM »
Yes, I'm on 4.2.1, but I won't be able to enumerate my steps I'm afraid...  I have a bunch of backup material on Dropbox but I didn't just put a folder there; I have a huge bunch of individual files that I cut and pasted there.  Most have .gz extentions(?)  I guess I didn't really do a good backup with Voodoo...  I do have a "!ready to flash" folder on my desktop but don't think that's what I want.  I think I have all of my programs but just think I don't hve any of the data for those apps available, or at least I don't know how to find it...

r

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
I think you should read JJ's thread on backing up He did a great job simplifying it for people like me. It will really clear things up for you.

JayJ

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2012, 03:33:22 AM »
Titanium has both Dropbox and Google Drive options intergrated into the app, I've started to write a guide for Titanium but haven't had time to finish it...
If you use the intergrated options, TiBu creates a folder on your cloud storage similar to that on your devices memory and this way the files are collected together. Each apps backup is split into three files, one is a .tar.gz, another a .apk.gz which contains the application apk and the third doesn't have an extension but I believe is a properties file? All are required to restore from TiBu although the .apk.gz can be opened and I believe the application installed from this but no data will be restored this way.
I would create a folder on your cloud storage and move all the TiBu file to that folder, you'll then need to copy those folders to your N7's internal memory to be able to restore the backups...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:50:59 AM by JayJ »

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »
OK Jay, yes I see all of those files and I've moved them into a folder in dropbox.  How do I get them from there into the internal mem?  When I look at the N7 with a usb cable on the pc, it looks (from the address) like it's all internal memory.  Would just moving a folder, with any name I assigned, in there be recognized ??

r

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2012, 10:39:11 AM »
OK Jay, yes I see all of those files and I've moved them into a folder in dropbox.  How do I get them from there into the internal mem?  When I look at the N7 with a usb cable on the pc, it looks (from the address) like it's all internal memory.  Would just moving a folder, with any name I assigned, in there be recognized ??

r

*update: OK I've got the folder, named N7updates, into internal storage and I've unplugged so we'll see if it makes any diff after I boot back up.
...to be continued.

JayJ

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
Sorry radio, I'm at work!

You need to name the folder on your internal memory...

TitaniumBackup

Written exactly like that so TiBu can locate the back files to restore them and anytime you redo your backups they be placed in that folder too, if you've install TiBu you may already have a folder with this name...

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 10:52:00 AM by JayJ »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt