April 23, 2024, 06:38:04 PM

collapse

Author Topic: How's your Nexus 7 Experience ???  (Read 10029 times)

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: How's your Nexus 7 Experience ???
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
I still love mine. It has taken a beating and keeps on rollin.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline snyderm49

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »
I just got my nexus 7 last week.  After having played with it a bit, I am not all that happy with it.

The hardware from ASUS is great.  It has a nice, bright screen.  The OS looks nice, is snappy, and not too difficult to use.  Its handling feel and weight is spot on, and I really like the thin design.

I bought the Nexus 7 thinking to buy a few and give them out as christmas presents as kind of an ipad-lite sort of thing.  I gave out some kindle fires last christmas, and that worked out great.  The old kindle fires are thick and clunky though, not like this slim, cool Nexus 7.

Unfortunetly, the Google play store is just awful.  I looked up some movies and TV shows on Google Play that I use right now with my Ipad and old kindle fire and came up 0/8. 

Also what irked me was downloading applications that weren't actually made for a nexus 7 and getting horrible low-res screens from them.

The nexus 7 is a great piece of hardware, but I wouldn't dare follow through with my plan of giving them out as gifts.  They would just be demoralizing for people when they find they just can't find much for it.  And Google's way of disgusing apps made for other devices (phones) as a nexus 7 app makes it not-so user friendly.

I guess I am going to keep mine and watch to see if things improve with it, but I wouldn't recommend it for others unless they have a lot of patience.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:15:28 PM »
I think that you are unsatisfied with the results of google play, not the nexus 7. The great thing about an unlocked device is that you are not tired down to one source for apps. You are free to install any app from any source that it compatible with the hardware. There are often apps on the market with tablet or HD versions, but google play will allow you to install app whether or not it is a high resolution app. As far as tv shows, there are free apps that allow you to watch new seasons for free. If you are unsatisfied in any way, let us help you find a resolution. The experience of every Nexus 7 user should be amazing. If its not, we can fix that!

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:25 PM »
I am sorry that you are disappointed with your Nexus7. I can assure you that a lot of the issues that seem daunting can be solved with a little bit of patience and effort. We have a knowledgeable and caring family here that are eager to help. Please try and take a fresh approach and I think that a lot of your issues can be corrected.
Thanks for being a part of the community

Offline akoni103

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 09:18:52 AM »
My first tablet was the original Kindle Fire.  I had been generally happy with my KF until I bought an iPad 3.  The iPad 3 changed my expectations of the OS and apps available for a tablet.  For work I travel, by air, and need to bring a beefy laptop with me.  My carry on is already over packed so I never bring the iPad 3 with me.  When the Nexus 7 went on sale I eagerly purchased the 16 gb version the first day they were available.  Initially I felt Android 4.1 was about 90% as smooth as iOS 5.x.  The size, smoothness, and useful features of Android over iOS for travelers made me fall in love with the N7.  A few months later when my N7 storage use topped 10 gb's the honeymoon ended.  My N7 was now as slow as molasses.  I started to bring my KF on my work trips again.  I searched the Googleverse and discovered this wasn't an isolated issue.  Even worse, the fix was to reset my device to and not put more than 10 gb's of data on my device.  When 4.1.x release came out I had hoped the glitch was resolved.  Sadly the minor update did not help my N7 issues.  I even reset my device to factory settings again.  The 4.2 update seems to have mostly helped.  My N7 is still not as fast as it was the first 2 months I owned it.  I now own an iPad Mini.  It isn't perfect either but it I prefer it on an airplane versus the KF.  I feel iOS is more suited for my living room.  Android seems more suited for being on the road--  the notifications really make a difference.  I really want my N7 to be the tablet I fell in love with.  It just isn't and I'm no longer convinced it ever will be.

Offline M1keC

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
As I already have a desktop pc and a laptop I thought quite hard about whether I needed something else.  I had played a bit with an iPad and already decided that it wasn't worth the money for my needs.  However, I bought a 16Gb Nexus 7 and am very pleased with it.  I hardly ever use the other computers now.  Here is my list of what it's great for.
I don't play games that much but when I do it works fine - and the grandkids like it too!
Gmail is a breeze.
Google drive works well so I can do my word processing and spreadsheets - and I got Cloud Print which is amazing - I can print anything from my Nexus 7 now.
It acts as a convenient small tv using myPlayer, also for iPlayer (when will ITV sort out their online offerings? Hopeless!)
I get news via BBC News and AppyGeek for technical stuff
I can check train times with Rail Tracker and book train tickets
I have my Italian dictionary of WordReference (and normal dictionary of course)
I can access and read my Kindle books
EveryTrail lets me record my journeys and keep photos with them
I do my home banking
Skype is brilliant and the 7" format is just perfect for it
EverNote is great for recording things and Pocket makes reading stuff off Chrome much easier
I can check currency exchange rates and monitor investments.
I can finally keep track of birthdays
It's my pocket calculator
It stops me missing appointments
I can watch movies occasionally
I can use Maps and get directions
I listen to my music that is now all uploaded to Google
I play bridge online with BridgeBase

Now what do I need my other computers for.... oh yes, hosting my printer for Cloud Print!  And when someone produces a cheap adapter that will link my printer to the internet without the need for the computer to be on I might switch the desktop off for good!

Mike

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »
I had never used an Android device before getting my 8Gb Nexus 7.  I was so confused I couldn't even figure out how to get the lock symbol off the opening screen until I found this forum -- it took me three days to use the N7 at all.  Now I like the N7 so much I am almost fed up with my Windows laptop.  My N7 turns on instantly (from "sleep"), and if I turn on my laptop at the same time I can find out everything I want to know by using the N7 before my laptop has even finished booting up.  Switching from one task to another is also much faster on the N7.

The Kindle app for Android is wonderful for reading books on the N7 and also for PDF files.  If I am not using WiFi I turn WiFi off, and then the battery life is great.  My laptop battery will die 5 times before the N7 battery dies. 

My second-favorite app is Google Drive, which gives me access to all my documents.  And now I find I can save them for offline use also.  Next favorite app is TuneIn for listening to my favorite radio stations wherever I may be.

I am so impressed with the rapidity of updates to apps and to the Android OS.  With my Windows laptop, an update only fixes old problems and slows down the computer.  But each update to Android apps or OS gives me great new features to explore.  I am very happy with the Android 4.2+ multi-users capability.  My wife has her own user name on my N7 and, although normally she doesn't use it, when we are travelling she does use it and so neither one of us needs to bring a computer.

My only complaint is the weak audio.  I have not found any app that will boost the speaker or headset volumes without rooting the N7 (although I have read many articles about apps that say they will boost the volume without rooting.)  I have my fingers crossed that some developer will come up with an app that works.

Offline RubenAlonzo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »
I truly enjoy my Nexus 7, it is the portal to my every whim and interest.

Offline har31n6er

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2012, 08:24:57 AM »
This Nexus 7 (32GB) is my first Android device. I bought it here in Japan and was a little let down that it only came with Ice Age, and no Play credit or Transformers. It was already on 4.1.2 and refused to update to 4.2 or 4.2.1 through the update system. Even manually updating it failed! Finally I used the Wugs Nexus Root Tookit 'Flash back to stock' option, chose 4.2 and then the system could update itself to 4.2.1 normally. After that my Nexus 7 has been a joy to use; voice commands and speech to text, information when I need it, quicker-than-PC access to Facebook and email, and the first time I've actually used a non pen and paper To Do list and schedule. I loved installing apps on there from my PC web browser without even having the device connected! I haven't really used it for music or movies, but PDF files for studying programming are good. I had a fear changing from my 2nd Gen iPod Touch that I'd already invested too much in Apple to warrant changing to Android, but so far I haven't had to pay a single Yen on anything other than the device and a case and I've got quite a few games, Japanese learning software, and productivity apps - all.... for.... nothing!  :P

Offline wpb1960

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2012, 03:52:06 PM »
Loved my 8GB so much , I bought a 32GB also, i'll give my 8 to my girlfriend.  ;D

Offline Melliejoy

• I void warranties, for fun I mean science...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 02:19:16 AM »
I love Edi! ! It's by far my favourite toy and I useiteveryday corny writing and web browsing. Soon I'm going to try gaming with an Xbox controller connected.

Best $250 I ever spent!

:D
Good stories are not made, but born. To watch one awaken at your fingertips is a gift of indescribable proportions.

Offline Melliejoy

• I void warranties, for fun I mean science...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2012, 02:38:12 AM »
I love Edi. I've had this sexy 16Gb N7 for a couple of weeks and she's already completely replaced my computer. I take her everywhere and get envious glances from everyone around me.

Best. Purchase. Ever.
Good stories are not made, but born. To watch one awaken at your fingertips is a gift of indescribable proportions.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2012, 10:51:42 PM »
I love your enthusiasm Mel! Makes me smile.

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 11:24:14 AM »
I like my wife's Nexus 7 much more than mine.  She uses it almost exclusively and hardly ever uses the computer any more.  I hardly ever get the "something is wrong with my computer" question since I got her an N7.  The best thing about my N7 is it gives me a great reason to be a member of the Nexus 7 forum.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline chessie

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »
My Grandparents passed many year ago, they'd have no interest in these wonderful tablets. Even my parents have no interest in tablets and smartphones, my Mum has a PC and they both have dumb phones. My in-laws (girlfriends parents) both have dumb phones but they do both have/use a PC, personally I respect those that just want a phone to be a phone and don't want a smartphone because IMO there's nothing wise than somebody that has something they don't use...

I also don't have a smartphone, and I work in the technology field - I'm a systems analyst.  I deal with email and am online all day long, so the last thing I need or want is to be constantly pinged with emails/texts/whatever, in my off hours.  I'm a busy person, and I just don't see how people have much time for it anyway.  I really don't need it, at least not enough to justify the cost.  I use a phone for conversation, and occasional texts.  I can access the internet if I really need to, via my dumbphone, but it's enough of a chore that I really don't go there unless I need a number or address and have no other option.  Also, the size is a huge issue for me, those smartphones are just far too large to be convenient for me, yet too small to read anything of significance.  I see all the iPhones sticking out of pockets, and people walking around with them in their hands, and running into things.   ::)   Just not my thing, and I can't see paying more for the priviledge, like you said.  It's funny, I have 4 other people on my team at work, and not a one of us uses a smartphone.  :-)

I do like the Nexus 7 though.  I bought a cheapo Dell tablet last year on a Black Friday special, just to see if I would use it.  I loved it.  Very convenient for travel - I used to take my laptop everywhere, now I just take the tablet (unless of course I think I will need to remote in - in those instances I still need my laptop) Occasional wi-fi is fine, and I can access my Evernote notes on it too.  It's a cool little tool.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 12:39:07 PM by chessie »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts