March 28, 2024, 07:03:19 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Am I doing something wrong with gps and navigation?  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Trops

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Am I doing something wrong with gps and navigation?
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:29:26 AM »
I thought the nexus 7 would be usable for driving directions. But it seems to have serious flaws that make it useless for driving directions. It would seem you need a 3g connection to use navigation or a wifi hotspot. Why would anyone need this Navigation program at all, you drive out of range of the wifi and the map may display, but I cant see it for the pop up/wheel of death icon right in the middle of the screen.
I tried google map from wifi and downloaded the map of my area for offline use, but it does not seem integrated with navigation.

I read that  a 3g version is coming out so I guess I have to wait on that device??  Am I missing something???
I can't understand why a navigation app cant work w/o wifi like a simple black and white garmin ?

I need to be able to type a destination from any place in the city , even places w/o wifi, like my tom tom.
Is there freeware to do that or do I need to wait for the 3g version.

Please, if at all possible I need replies soon, I had it about 4 days, the walmart here is funny sometimes on refunds on electronics.

Other than this I enjoy my nexus 7

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Am I doing something wrong with gps and navigation?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
Return it. It won't do what you want it to do. There are some offline navigation apps that may work for you, but I haven't found them yet. I tried several, but rely on my Garmin gps.

Search the site for gps navigation, and you may find a suggestion that will work for you. Iirc, they all have shortcomings.

Sent from my Nexus 7 w/ Tapatalk 2 @ 49.6 mpg
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:45:43 AM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Trops

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 10:52:00 AM »
Return it. It won't do what you want it to do. There are some offline navigation apps that may work for you, but I haven't found them yet. I tried several, but rely on my Garmin gps.

Search the site for gps navigation, and you may find a suggestion that will work for you. Iirc, they all have shortcomings.

Thank you very much for the fast reply.
Do you know if the nexus 7 with 3g will work like my tom tom ?
I think I can get away with the smallest data plan from at&t , I think  they are the only company that has data service for nexus 7, read that somewhere.. lol.  If I limit my data usage to gps only I  should be able to stay on a minimum plan.

I gave you a thumbs up for your reply

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »
You're welcome. Yes, you will be fine with the N7 HSPA+. I don't know the situation with 3G carriers, as I have no interest in buying one.

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline strollin

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:37:09 PM »
You are being led astray, an N7 with 3G won't totally eliminate the problem since at some point you'll be out of range of both wifi and 3G.  The solution is to find a navigation app that stores all of the map data local.  There are a number of them out there, the one I use is called CoPilot Live.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 06:39:49 PM by strollin »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
Thar's really there only difference with using Google maps and a standalone GPS. The maps are stored on the standalone device. Google maps will only cache a limited amount of map data. A third party app that stores the maps should rectify this issue.  Do you have an android smartphone with a data plan? If you do we can help you create a mobile hotspot for data access.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline freakshow999

• View Profile
Re: Re: Am I doing something wrong with gps and navigation?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 02:56:14 AM »
Thar's really there only difference with using Google maps and a standalone GPS. The maps are stored on the standalone device. Google maps will only cache a limited amount of map data. A third party app that stores the maps should rectify this issue.  Do you have an android smartphone with a data plan? If you do we can help you create a mobile hotspot for data access.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

That's what I do when I feel like using Google Maps (most of the time). I personally also use Navigon on my N7 and it works very well. You do have to make sure you kind of have enough of the view of the sky. GPS works very well when it's just sitting on the passenger seat though. lol

Sent from Keone's Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts