March 28, 2024, 09:55:48 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Kindle Fire HD vs. Nexus 7  (Read 4655 times)

Offline SueM5411

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Kindle Fire HD vs. Nexus 7
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »
I am looking for information on the functionality of either of these devices. I currently have a Kindle keyboard and like it a lot for reading e-books. However, I have a problem with it when I try to read a PDF file, primarily textbooks for school. The font is usually much too small for me to read. Enlarging the screen to the point where it is readable requires shifting the screen focus back and forth for each line of text.

So I am want to upgrade to a devise that can handle the reading of PDF files better. I also want to be able to do some simple work with documents. The problem is trying to get through all the hype about the abilities of the Kindle Fire HD and the Nexus 7. I expect that they are comparable when it comes to reading e-books, play music, watching movies, etc. I have heard that you can install some Google aps on the Kindle Fire, but don't know what ones or how well they run. Besides a basic word processor like Open Office I want to be able to have a calendar, access my email and surf the web. A nice plus would be to be able to play not only solitaire and mahjong, but Diablo too. Though I don't think that is do able.

Thanks  :)

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Fire HD vs. Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 07:08:46 PM »
Welcome Sue,

I haven't experimented with different readers, but I'm sure others can chime in.  So far, the Nexus 7 has been able to do everything I've tried using it for.  I'm confident there are book and pdf readers that can toggle accessibility options to give you large text for reading.

The N7 has a vastly larger available selection of Mahjong, solitaire, and Office suites than the Kindle Fire.  Not sure whether you're looking for Diablo armory game, server checker, price check, news and weather app, class builder, live wallpaper, sound board, or?, but it's probably available for the N7.

Calendar, email, web surfing are no problem with the N7.  Shouldn't be a problem with Kindle HD, either, but I haven't used one.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:13:31 PM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:59:09 AM »
The N7 can handle anything that you can throw at it. There are Google aps that can potentially run on a kindle, but i guarantee that they will run better on a nexus! Especially without rooting, the kindle is severely limited by software and hardware. The Nexus on the other hand, has the cutting edge software and hardware.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKreaM.4.1.2.AOKP) via Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »
Go for the Nexus. IMHO, It smashes the Fire. There are Wordlike apps available for manipulating text and documents and reading of PDFs. You shouldn't have a problem finding something that will work for you.
I use the Kindle app for most of my ebook reading needs and it is basic but works well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:21:41 AM by bjs229 »

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:50:14 AM »
You would have a larger choice of apps with the Nexus 7 and Google Play then the Kindle Fire HD and it's limited Amazon App Store.
Also you can use the Amazon App store on the Nexus 7 but you can't use the Google Play store on the Kindle Fire, I think that says allot...

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
Also,  the Kindle HD doesn't have a GPS or compass, so you can't run mapping, navigation, or astronomy apps with one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 w/ Tapatalk 2 @ 49.6 mpg

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline SueM5411

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:10:47 AM »
Thanks all for your input. The Diablo I was taking about is the old shooter game that is now up to Diablo III.

I'm leaning more and more the the N7 maybe even the N10.

Thanks again

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »
Diablo.I think that might be a PC game? Not 100% sure. I know there are some apps available that pertain to the game. As far as playing games, the Nexus quad core processor and high resolution screen do a great job with some of the most resource hungry graphics. Horn comes to mind.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 10:44:22 AM by bjs229 »

Offline Belisarius

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 03:04:25 PM »
I just went and exchanged my Kindle Fire HD for a Nexus 7, and let me tell you, the Nexus is the far superior device.

Amazon's Kindle Fire HD has great hardware. Beautiful screen, great sound, etc. But its software is absolute garbage. The home launcher (Carousel) is for children or old people who can't use a computer. You can't use widgets. Can't use folders. Oh, and it advertises to you constantly.

Then, you can't install a third party keyboard. So if you like the ability to "swype" type, too bad. Can't be done unless you root it, and then sideload a keyboard into the system apps, voiding your warranty.

And the Amazon browser, Silk... well let's just say it sucks and leave it at that. You can't use Opera, Dolphin, Chrome, Firefox, or anything else unless you backdoor it in.

No google play store, Amazon only, which basically cuts your choice of apps down by a factor of 10.

Meanwhile, the Nexus pretty much lets you do whatever you want.

Now, let's talk hardware...

The Nexus is thinner. It fits comfortably into one hand, unlike the wider kindle. The nexus is noticably lighter. It fits easily into my jeans pocket.

Amazon claims its dual speaker dolby is superior to the mono speaker on Nexus. It isn't. I can tell little to no difference, and If I had to pick, I'd say the nexus sounds better.

Amazon claims its dual antenna is faster for the web. It isn't. Especially when you are shackled to that crap browser they have.

All in all... the Nexus is a far superior device. Get one, and save yourself a lot of headache. As for your PDF issue, on a nexus, you have access to every pdf reader on the market. On amazon, you will just have kindle.

The ONLY thing I miss about my Kindle vs. the Nexus... Amazon Prime free video. I wish Google would come up with something similar for its Play store. I would gladly move all my Amazon books and Music over to the Google world, but I don't care to figure out how to strip the DRM I'm sure is on there.

Offline Ste Hughes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 03:13:22 PM »
I bought a Fire HD on friday, I played with it for a number of hours and had a problem where the wifi would still stay connected but no web stuff would work.

I read stories on the kindle fire amazon forums about many many people having the same problem :/

I took it back on Saturday morning.

Now I have had both and have been playing with both for a similar amount of time. This is just first impressions and by no means a review.

These are my early impressions:

Nexus:
- very flexible, does everything i have asked of it.
- has both google play store and amazon play store if you want it
- feels smoother
- tablet is built better software wise
- easier to use
- does everything that the kindle fire could do and much more!
- feels like it wants to be picked up

Kindle:
- much better speakers
- same kind of screen but the picture just seemed a little brighter and there was more 'pop'
- built a tad bit better, felt more solid
- the kindle is covered in amazon adverts that you can't get rid of unless you pay money to amazon. I did not like that, if you really want the best out of it I feel you constantly have to put money into it. You can argue that for both to be fair but it's not shoved in your face on the nexus. When you unlock the screen you see an advert, when you go to the carosell, you see an advert, you go to anything from amazon you see half a page of "recommended" it was really annoying to have to pay £160 for this and you are still being advertised too.

but as far as using the thing went it was a pain, no where near as simple and intuitive as the nexus

I think my nexus is the much better of the two to use, but i wish it had the build of the kindle!

Both are nice, the nexus is just very nice.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
Its funny you mention the speakers first. I had a Samsung before this and the sound was much better. One of only a couple things I can really bizitch about. I wouldn't biotch if my bluetooth speaker worked like it should . outside of that I love this device .I even kicked it up the street today and it is running fine.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman