Higher resolution and/or better display
3 (13.6%)
Better speakers/sound
2 (9.1%)
Faster processor (perhaps Tegra4?)
1 (4.5%)
Rear Camera
3 (13.6%)
Smaller bezel/reworked design (lighter/thinner)
1 (4.5%)
HDMI out and/or Miracast support
8 (36.4%)
Other
4 (18.2%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: What Feature Would You Most Like To See On A 2nd Generation Nexus 7  (Read 9525 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
The Nexus 7 came out not even 6 months ago but already there is talk about the possibility of a '2nd generation' Nexus 7 coming out in 2013, albeit most likely not until Summer.  We wanted to get some ideas about what features were most important for Nexus 7 owners to be upgraded in a 'Nexus 7- 2nd gen'.  Do you want a higher resolution display or perhaps one that is brighter?  Is a faster processor and GPU at the top of your list?  What about sound quality?  Should the Nexus 7 increase the size and power of the speakers?   What about a rear camera?  Is that something you've been missing?  Let us know your thoughts in the comments below and if there's anything you want that we haven't listed let us know.  (we left MicroSD card slot off the list on purpose since Google is highly unlikely to include one under any circumstances due to their business model of having users store in the cloud and buy from the Google Play Store).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 06:11:41 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline GeorgeH

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What Feature Would You Most Like To See On A 2nd Generation Nexus 7
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 05:09:25 PM »
HDMI out followed closely by a rear camera.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:14 PM »
I will go with the other option, because I want to see multiple features and "All of the Above", failed to mention the one that heads my list, "True Pogo Pin Functionality". Imagine the Pogo Pin feature supporting HDMI output, charging and charging during HDMI output, USB connectivity for file transfer, and the one thing that we will never see external storage. I can live without native external storage by the pogo pins, but we are generating a wish list, so I have included it.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »
Rear cam and external storage. I love Dustin for what he did with Media Exporter and CF for their hard work but OTG is a PITA. Oh and on the software tip, Miracast.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 01:53:37 AM »
Why a rear facing camera? I wouldn't buy a tab with a rear facing camera, it's so impractical...

Miracast...

Working Pogo pins like what Prime mentions.

I'd like to see the next gen Tegra CPU in the next Nexus device, I've invested money in Tegra specific apps/games.

A better screen, personally I've always felt that the Nexus 7's screen has washed out colours. Maybe it's because I'm use to a Super AMOLED screen in my S2...

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:34 AM »
I believe the Tegra4 will be shown at the Consumer Electronics Show in January.   Nvidia should announce design wins shortly after.  I'm expecting to see a 2nd gen Nexus 7 be introduced probably in May or possibly June.  The one thing I'm a little undecided on is the display resolution.  While I like the idea of more pixels...perhaps 1440 x 900, I'm not sure if it's necessary on a 7 inch display and if it would force developers to have to make changes to too many apps.   If they were to go super high resolution 'retina' on us I could feasibly see a 2560 x 1600 display like the Nexus 10 squeezed into the 7 inch size, but it might be overkill.  Most likely we'll just see a 'higher quality' IPS display, perhaps with a digitizer built-in.  If I were a betting man I'd say they keep it at 1280 x 800 though.   Personally, I'd like a rear camera as I actually think on the 7 inch size it is kind of useful.   On a 10 inch it's more cumbersome but it's somewhat usable on a 7 inch. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 02:23:05 AM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 10:08:26 AM »
I honestly don't have much to ad. Maybe fix Bluetooth? Build it with a metal body? I don't really have much else I want.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
I'd like to see full featured dock compatibility. I'm talking USB ports, HDMI, out external storage, charging, audio output, the works

Sent From my Razr Maxx  (iKReaM.SToCK.NeW.ErA.v1.0.4) via Tapatalk 2

Tsarli

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 11:38:50 AM »
Ditto on external storage and audio/video output. I'd also like to see significant improvements in the build quality department. Maybe "toughen" the Nexus up to resist accidental drops?

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Re: What Feature Would You Most Like To See On A 2nd Generation Nexus 7
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 11:58:58 AM »
I'm expecting to see a 2nd gen Nexus 7 be introduced probably in May or possibly June.
At the next Google I/O?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:26:38 PM »
Yep, the next Google I/O.  That would be my guess.   I would also probably expect an LTE model and possibly a 64GB version at some point...possible at Google I/O or maybe before, in the spring sometime.  I could see the 64GB model coming in at $349. 

Nvidia is supposedly working on a Tegra 4 based on multiple ARM Cortex-A15 cores and LTE support compared to the Tegra 3 which has 4 A9 cores and no LTE support.  I'm fairly certain we'll see a Nexus 7 sporting a Tegra 4 and LTE come Google I/O.  If they can keep the price at $199/$249 I think they'll continue to dominate the 7 inch competition.  An improved screen, speakers and slightly smaller bezel all around along with a slight tweak in design to freshen it should be enough to keep it ahead of the pack at this price point.  A rear camera and improved front camera wouldn't hurt either.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 06:34:05 PM by Babyfacemagee »

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
i voted tegra4 not because i think that our is slow, but i really think that tegra4 will be amazing. plus i'd like to see all of those features included in the "package"
ps external storage would be really appreciated

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:30 PM »
Would like to see an SD slot.

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

JayJ

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Why Nexus devices have no SD Card

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 02:15:27 AM »
Why Nexus devices have no SD Card

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD