April 19, 2024, 10:26:25 AM

collapse

Author Topic: What do you think of the Nexus 7 specs?  (Read 8311 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
What do you think of the Nexus 7 specs?
« on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
What do you think of the Nexus 7 specs?  Do they live up to your expectations?  Here's the complete specs below...

Available in 8GB and 16GB variants, pricing is yet to be confirmed, but the Nexus 7 will ship with $25 of Google Play credit included for a limited time.

Tech specs include...
7” 1280x800 HD display (216 ppi)
Back-lit IPS display
Scratch-resistant Corning glass
1.2MP front-facing camera
198.5 x 120 x 10.45mm
340g
WiFi 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth
8/16 GB internal storage
1 GB RAM
Micro USB
4325 mAh (Up to 8 hours of active use)
Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)
Quad-core Tegra 3 processor
Microphone
NFC (Android Beam)
Accelerometer
GPS
Magnetometer
Gyroscope

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline stinkyjak

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of the Nexus 7 specs?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
No SD card.
"I don't want to conquer anything. I just think the guy with the most freedom in this whole ocean... is the Pirate King!" Monkey D Luffy

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
True, but it does have the microUSB, Bluetooth and GPS which were all a concern.  For the price I'm actually pretty impressed with the specs. 
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline stinkyjak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »
16GB Paid for...  ;D

But, I am sad that I will not be able to load my Anime collection to view on trips where there is no internet connection.  I guess a microUSB appendage isn't the worst thing to live with when extra storage is needed.
"I don't want to conquer anything. I just think the guy with the most freedom in this whole ocean... is the Pirate King!" Monkey D Luffy

Offline kyoo

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
no rear camera is rough

forgive me, but how do you use gps without a data plan? it'll still navigate you?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:49:59 PM »
The GPS triangulates your position using satellites.   Nobody really uses the rear camera in most tablets so I feel this is a fair tradeoff to keep the price down.  The front camera will enable Google Chat calling though with video and Skype as well.   

Offline ibm650

• Popularity: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
Why no Micro SD, I need that to store movies when traveling by air.  This is the same stupid decision Amazon fire made.  Some of us need content when there is no connectivity. That is why I still use my Nook Color Reader. 
I have my music, my pictures, my books, and my movies.
8gigs is laughable today, 16 gigs is not enough.  Why not have the Micro SD, it is to lock you in, Amazon did the same thing. 
After all it has GPS.  And with bluetooth, I would like to link to my radio to play tunes, but not enough storage.
Also, what video files will it play - mkv is an issue for  ipads.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:08:54 PM by ibm650 »

Offline Diver4242

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
a bit disappointed about no memory card slot or hdmi out. i ordered the 16gig one but may cancel before it ships if something better comes out. anyone know if asus will still release the MeMo 370T that this is based on, and perhaps it will have those things and a rear camera? I'd pay the extra 50-100 for that.

Offline stinkyjak

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 01:29:59 PM »
I would pay an extra $50 for SD/microSD bay also. It is so cheap... maybe we can play around with adding our own.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
I'm sure there's going to be all kinds of hacks and workarounds for this thing.  At least it has the microUSB.

Offline Drew

• Popularity: 11
  • Transformer Prime, iphone 4, Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »
 Agreed, if it didn't have USB or Bluetooth,  I would not have ordered one.  Would gladly pay more for SD card and HDMI.

Google should have made an " a la carte" tablet where you pay for more features.

That said, I will also cancel order if Asus brings back the MeMo 370t or something similar (soon)!
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

Offline Eddie1551

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »
Hi all, first post here so be nice to me.  8)

I see a lot of people complaining about not having an SD slot, why couldn't you just use something like this? http://www.all4cellular.com/product/t-mobile-micro-sd-memory-card-reader.html

I know it will make the tablet a little bulkier but I think it would be worth it, and if you just have books/movies/music on the SD card you could easily take it out when your done. I know it's not as easy as just having a slot but it would indeed work and I think it's better then nothing, don't you?

Regards,
Eddie.

Offline kyoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 07:42:14 AM »
The GPS triangulates your position using satellites.   Nobody really uses the rear camera in most tablets so I feel this is a fair tradeoff to keep the price down.  The front camera will enable Google Chat calling though with video and Skype as well.

the galaxy tabs had gps too, just wondering if this will do turn by turn

Offline halibaitor

• Popularity: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »
the galaxy tabs had gps too, just wondering if this will do turn by turn

With the proper app installed, the answer is YES...

Offline steveg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:47:26 AM »
Hi Eddie - 11,

On the link, whilst this does take MicroSD cards I think it still needs a standard USB port to connect to in which case a non starter unless you can use usb storage through MicrosSD to USB to MicroUSB connection.  Does that work?

Personally wasn't that fussed about the 8-gb then thought about how many films that wouldn't hold; def not enough for holiday purposes.

Actually am i being thick here; would the same usb to micro-usb cable that allows you to connect usb storage stick to galaxy s2 phone be a potential? 

Something like this:

mobilefun.co.uk/micro-usb-to-usb-converter-for-samsung-galaxy-s3-s2-note-p29842.htm
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:01:47 AM by steveg »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts