March 28, 2024, 05:55:51 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Unable to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2  (Read 3300 times)

AndroidMike

Unable to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2
« on: December 21, 2012, 06:37:40 PM »
Hello, just purchased 16gb Nexus 7 at local Staples for xmas for my wife, came with 4.1.2, Build number JZ054K.  I have left it completely stock.  On occasion it will notify me that 4.2 is available, and will then proceed to restart and begin the update process.  But about a third of the way through the update (judging by the progress bar), it stops and shows the android laying down with the red exclamation point, so the update process never completes, and I'm still on 4.1.2.  I have restored back to factory settings, and had it try updating again, but still will not work.

Anyone out there know why this is happening, and how to fix without rooting?  Really driving me crazy.  Thanks in advance for anyone's help.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Unable to update from 4.1.2 to 4.2
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 09:04:06 PM »
When you say "restored back to factory settings," you did a factory data reset? Settings > Backup &  reset > Factory data reset.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
Hello .
When you say stock you mean you have done nothing but add apps?  Brand new out of the box?   The only time I have seen the red Android is when there is a recovery issue.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 11:00:11 PM by bjs229 »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 09:13:42 AM »
There has been changes to the system partition. This is the only reason that a stock update won't complete. The stock firmware must be restored first. This can be completed with the wugfresh toolkit.

Sent From my Razr Maxx (iKReaM.NeW.ErA.1.0.4) via Tapatalk 2

Offline har31n6er

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:43:57 PM »
I had the same trouble with my Nexus 7. It was stuck on 4.1.2 and kept telling me there was an update. I tried the automatic update which never completed, and tried the manual method described in various YouTube videos which always ended with an 'Installation aborted' message. As loociddreemr said, the wugfresh toolkit is the way to go. I didn't use it to root my system, so don't worry -the tool does more than that. I chose the  'Flash back to stock' option, chose 4.2. Of course my stock version wasn't 4.2, but we don't have to worry about that! After my system was sitting pretty on 4.2, the auto update worked normally and then the system could update itself to 4.2.1.

I hope no one minds if I post the link to the wugfresh tool here for reference:
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

AndroidMike

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
Thanks for everyone's help.  I tried the wugfresh route, very good tool.  I however ran into problems when it came to installing the drivers the second time (in boot mode?).  The Nexus was having issues with bootloader, was running out of time with this since it was going to be a gift, and went back to Staples and exchanged and luckily they had one more in stock. This time the one I exchanged for had 4.2 installed, and it prompted me to the 4.2.1 upgrade which worked fine.  Thanks again for everyone's responses.

Offline har31n6er

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 07:40:32 PM »
I'm happy you could get a resolution. When I was searching about I only came across one other 4.1.2>4.2 issue and the bloke ended up returning his, too.

I had some driver troubles as well, but I loaded so much onto my PC and buried myself in dozens of web pages and YouTube videos to fix my problem that, somewhere along the line, everything got set up and I forgot to mention anything about drivers in my previous post. If I remember correctly, there were two Windows 7 drivers; one that gets installed automatically when we connect the N7 while in Windows and another that we should install manually while the N7 is connected and in boot mode (which is what I believe you needed). A lot of typing and no links for reference, sorry - I'll add more information if anyone else has this problem and finds this thread.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman