March 28, 2024, 11:44:57 AM

collapse

Author Topic: 7 reasons Google's Nexus 7 beats the iPad  (Read 9861 times)

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
7 reasons Google's Nexus 7 beats the iPad
« on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »

I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline racey

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: 7 reasons Google's Nexus 7 beats the iPad
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:35:06 AM »
I'm an iPad owner owner and have recently acquired a Nexus 7. I'm still familiarising myself with it.
The major advantage of the iPad for me is Airplay - it's essential for streaming music.
I wouldn't be without it so I'm afraid the Nexus will be moved on unless I can find an alternative to Airplay

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:57:35 AM »
the article states the Nexus can be read in sunlight. The iPad is unreadable in sunshine and bright light. The Kindle is great outdoors, however. Is the Nexus as good outdoors as the Kindle?

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:28:03 AM »
The article doesn't really say the Nexus 7 can be read in sunlight.  It says 'outdoors'.  It doesn't have an eInk screen like a Kindle or nook ereader so not sure why the article is saying this.  Sure, it can be read on a cloudy day or in a shaded area, but in bright sunlight it would be difficult.

As for your addiction to 'Airplay' on your iPad.  They have hundreds of similar music and radio streaming apps/services on Android.  In fact they have Airplay as well:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=airplay&c=apps

But frankly my favorite is Tunein Radio.    There are a ton of other radio streaming apps for Android:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio&c=apps

Finally, if you're just looking for streaming music and not necessarily 'radio', you also have a ton of options:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=music&c=apps

and https://play.google.com/store/search?q=music+streaming&c=apps

From services and apps like Pandora to Shazam to XiiaLive to Tunein Pro...there are also hundreds of apps for individual radio stations, both AM and FM so you will never be lacking in music on your Nexus 7.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:41:46 AM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
I think you will be disappointed if you expect to use the Nexus 7 in direct sunlight and I would add that I have never seen a "Color" tablet that was readable in direct sunlight unless you count the failed Adam by Notion Ink which had a switchable display. I am like BFM and assume you are referring to the traditional Kindle eReader which has basically a B/W display.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:39:56 PM »
I think you will be disappointed if you expect to use the Nexus 7 in direct sunlight and I would add that I have never seen a "Color" tablet that was readable in direct sunlight unless you count the failed Adam by Notion Ink which had a switchable display. I am like BFM and assume you are referring to the traditional Kindle eReader which has basically a B/W display.
Yes I am referring to the basic black and white kindle which is great for outdoor reading.

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 01:43:37 PM »
As for your addiction to 'Airplay' on your iPad.  They have hundreds of similar music and radio streaming apps/services on Android.  In fact they have Airplay as well:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=airplay&c=apps

But frankly my favorite is Tunein Radio.    There are a ton of other radio streaming apps for Android:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=radio&c=apps

Finally, if you're just looking for streaming music and not necessarily 'radio', you also have a ton of options:  https://play.google.com/store/search?q=music&c=apps

and https://play.google.com/store/search?q=music+streaming&c=apps

From services and apps like Pandora to Shazam to XiiaLive to Tunein Pro...there are also hundreds of apps for individual radio stations, both AM and FM so you will never be lacking in music on your Nexus 7.
Thanks for the information. I hadn't realised that it was possible to stream an android device to an Apple TV.
i've used several of the music apps you mention. For music it's mainly iTunes, Spotify and TuneIn Pro. I use BBC iPlayer to stream TV.
I'll check out some of the apps (widgets?) you mention.
As is probably obvious, I not experienced in android devices (although I had a HTC phone a few years ago). I like the idea of alternatives to Apple if only to keep the prices down
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 01:53:56 PM by racey »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
My N7 is great outdoors! Way better than any other tablet I've had. I sell RV's and campers and keep all my information on my tablet and have had no problems out side.

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 01:59:31 PM »
My N7 is great outdoors! Way better than any other tablet I've had. I sell RV's and campers and keep all my information on my tablet and have had no problems out side.
I haven't had a chance to use it outdoors yet. It's very rainy and dull here at the moment so not the best time to try.   :D :D

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 07:19:40 AM »
I've downloaded AppleTVMedia and it recognises my Apple TV but, at the moment, that's as far as I've got. I can't get it to stream BBC iPlayer or Spotify (I think another app is need for this).  :(
A bit more research needed.

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
Re: Re: 7 reasons Google's Nexus 7 beats the iPad
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:51 AM »
I've downloaded AppleTVMedia and it recognises my Apple TV but, at the moment, that's as far as I've got. I can't get it to stream BBC iPlayer or Spotify (I think another app is need for this).  :(

Racey I'm just curious what motivated you to buy android. You seem to be pretty brand loyal to apple so I'm just curious what the appeal was to you. Any input?

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 09:24:01 AM »

Racey I'm just curious what motivated you to buy android. You seem to be pretty brand loyal to apple so I'm just curious what the appeal was to you. Any input?
It is a gift

Offline fxsarge

• View Profile
Re: Re: 7 reasons Google's Nexus 7 beats the iPad
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 09:37:53 AM »

It is a gift

I see. Well keep trying with it and let us know if you have any more questions.

Offline racey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 11:54:25 AM »

It is a gift

I see. Well keep trying with it and let us know if you have any more questions.
I'll have a go. It'll give me something to do over the Xmas break.  ;D

Offline mikespe

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
7 reasons Google's Nexus 7 beats the iPad
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »
I have an iPad and several Android devices. I consider myself an android guy but I appreciate what an iOS device can offer. I frequent forums in both domains and on each one is threads like this one. "iPads beats android!" "android out-does Apple"....why can people just see BOTH OS's offer so much...we need to embrace them and realize each domain offers something different. I am constantly switching between both of them....AND also my Windows 8 machine! Neither one is "better" then the other....each offers something useful and each has it's faults...

Sent by an Android Guy using an iPad...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts