April 30, 2024, 12:55:55 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?  (Read 21172 times)

JayJ

Re: Re: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:01 PM »
I do kind of enjoy it when I do something on my Nexus 7 and then have her ask, "Why can't my iPad do that?"   ;D

Oh my, the system limitations of iOS... lol

Offline Selden

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Any unexpected surprises after getting your N7?
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2012, 10:44:17 AM »
Not trying to insult your intelligence (because I did this), but did you press and *hold* the power button? This drove me crazy for my first 15 minutes of Nexus ownership.

Offline ianlogic

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2012, 10:13:11 AM »
My unexpected surprise was that I ordered and paid for an 8GB unit but they sent me a 16GB one - certainly not complaining though!

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
My unexpected surprise was that I ordered and paid for an 8GB unit but they sent me a 16GB one - certainly not complaining though!

Wow, what a pleasant surprise!

...and welcome to the forum.

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline MadMan84

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:32 AM »
Sorry to hear that happened SageAndScribe.  For the record we've had very few reports here in the forum of the screen lifting issues that apparently have occurred to some Nexus 7s and yours is the first I've heard of actually 'cracking'.    Generally most have found their tablets to be well made.  Did you notice any screen lifting or separation issue before the crack or just after?  Was it noticeable from outside the unit or only 'through the glass' of the screen?
Well, consider yourself as having heard another report.  Mine cracked yesterday, didn't drop it or anything, dropped in side "cargo" pocket of my pants on my drive to work, when I arrived it had a spiderweb crack emanating from the middle of the left/bottom (long) side.  There might have been a little stress on it from pressing against my leg when sitting in my car seat, but not much -- the pants leg ispretty baggy.  The touchscreen is compeltley unresponsive now.  In the last few days before the crack, I was also getting increasingly annoyed that it seemed to be "dropping" things more frequently as I dragged them across the screen; in hindsight I now wonder if this is related. I was not aware & never checked for the "raised glass on the middle of the left side" that I now see so many have encountered, and some have attributed their cracks to.

The more I read, the more I think this common flaw in the glass on the middle of the left side is a serious design issue, a ticking time bomb.

Offline garryknight

• Waiting for my 16GB Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
@madman84: Thanks for the heads-up. This is exactly how I carry my Nexus 7 around, though not while driving. I'll have to keep my awareness on my left cargo pocket a lot more from now on.
Garry Knight

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »
@ MadMan84

I would try for warranty coverage; Google may eventually recognize an issue. Keep us posted on your warranty progress.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline YoshiDrei81601

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2012, 03:52:16 AM »
For anyone who has their N7 what did you find unexpected, good or bad...  I've read LOTS of articles highlighting the major features, but is there anything you noticed that works better than you expected?  What about geewiz features you've found that you think aren't getting enough attention?  Or on the flip slide is there anything you expected to be amazing that ended up being bunk?

Just curious --

Sam
Mine has the screen lift issue and a little scrape on the silver paint but all in all it runs like a champ. It was also faster than my old tablet ( Galaxy Tab 10.1 ) which is now getting some dust and dirt but my mom now uses it. It is also great in gaming especially in high graphic games such as Frontline Commando because of the beautiful display ( 7 inch IPS display ) and it also doesn't lag unlike my old tablet. It was also smoother to operate than my old tablet which is laggy as HELL. It was also easier to hold than my Galaxy Tab 10.1 which made me look like an idiot for bringing it in public places. Battery life is so-so in the first weeks ( experienced this in my old tablet last year ). It also has a super premium feel on the back unlike my Galaxy Tab which was plasticky and flimsy. It was also better in updating software because when i unboxed it is asking for an update already. So overall it is a great tablet except for some quality issues. : )
Current Gadgets: Nexus 7, Nexus 4
Past Gadgets: Galaxy Tab 10.1, Xperia Arc S

JayJ

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
Personally I'm getting a little hacked off with the complete wipe a factory data reset does and the lack of getting into recovery from off....Grrrrrr

Offline mart3318

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2012, 12:41:58 AM »

I downloaded the T-r-a-n-s-f-o-r-m-e-r-s movie (hyphenated to confuse that damn V-i-g-L-i-n-k) as well, but can't locate it using ASTRO FILE MANAGER

Is it in a hidden (locked) folder somewhere ??

I see you're using Astro, have you tried ESfile manager? Depending on your preference, I found this free app and it makes moving files around into different folders very very easy, like on Windows. For what it's worth... ;

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2012, 08:04:36 AM »
You can see Transformers Movie file in Astro. JayJ posted the location in another topic. It is /sdcard/Android/data/com.google.android.videos/files/Movies. Remember it will only play in the Google player.
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Coosapat

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
YES; tho I've messed with computers since the days of Dos, have a PC running XP and netbook running Win7 Basic, I am totally frustrated with this Android tablet.  Not finding it intuitive at all.  No, I'm not blonde, just gray.  Is there a 'Dummy' book available that leads me beyond turning the thing on???   :-[

Offline garryknight

• Waiting for my 16GB Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
Garry Knight

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »
We have the Nexus 7 Guidebook stickied and linked here in the help forum. 

While there are actually a bunch of different Nexus 7 'books', available through Amazon and the Google Play store, all of them are 3rd party and I can't really vouch for the quality of any of them.   Some look pretty hastily put together to capitalize on the hype.    In my opinion your best source for info is probably the official Guidebook, the Nexus 7 support page and this forum. :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:33:16 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline Coosapat

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »
Already had the guide book, just purchased the survival guide.  THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK, GUYS.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman