March 29, 2024, 02:04:44 AM

collapse

Author Topic: 81 year old mom says take it back. :-(  (Read 6771 times)

Offline chessie

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 81 year old mom says take it back. :-(
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
I have to do the same for my parents. There needs to be a simplified launcher. Skype with the great grandkids might be the killer app.

Explain that learning new things and puzzle solving help keep the brain healthy. I've dealt with Alzheimers with a relative and worry about my own mental lapses. Make a game of exploring the nex7. One app at a time.

Yep, I have explained that to her...that's why I was disappointed that she gave up so quickly.  I live 30 minutes away, and work full time, so it's not like I can drop by every night to give her another lesson.  :)

Offline chessie

• View Profile
Re: Re: 81 year old mom says take it back. :-(
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
Perhaps it's too small and she would/might like a 10" tablet?

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

I don't think its the size. I thinks she just doesn't see a need for one or sees a need to be more mobile with a computer. She might just like sitting down with a big ol computer and sees a tablet as an inconvenience. That's how my mom is and I feel your pain, she's technologically challenged.

Yep.  I think I need to figure out how to make it MORE appealing than sitting down at the computer.  I'll just have to spend some more time with her.

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 01:04:59 PM »
Okay...number ONE thing - I bought her a STYLUS!!  That right there made a huge difference.  She is much better at tapping the right place now.   I didn't realize she was having that much of a problem until I showed her how to use the stylus...she really likes it.  :) 

I also bought her a nice bright yellow case, so she doesn't have to be quite so careful with it, and it serves as a stand for her too...much better than trying to hold it up with arthritic hands.

I bought her an app (the Food Network - she loves them) and showed her how to use it and search there.  She will definitely use that.  I also downloaded a couple of free recipe site apps and she likes those too. 

I explained Currents to her, and customized it for her.  She is already looking forward to surfing through those pages.   ;D

I downloaded a nice weather widget and set it up for her. 

Found some good crossword apps, and a CW solver as well.  We played a couple of games together.   ;)

I also explained the difference between apps and widgets, the 5 screens, how to move icons around, and how to bookmark sites.  And when she asked (because I would not have gone there without her asking!!) I explained the difference between her PC (Windows 7) an iPad (IOS) and her tablet (Android/Jellybean). 

I didn't want to go further and overwhelm her....but I think she might keep it now.  We'll do a little more as she gets more confident with it. 

Oh, and I also showed her the App Store...and how to search there, and find free vs. paid...and check the reviews...not sure if she would try one yet on her own, but we'll get there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:08:30 PM by chessie »

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »
Very encouraging. You made a lot of progress with that stylus!

Sent from my MK808 using Tapatalk HD
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 01:43:46 PM »
That's great chessie, sounds like you/she are coming on in leaps and bounds.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 03:10:30 PM »
If she's a crossword junkie..

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.standalone.Crosswords

Getting the current NYT will require a puzzle subscription at 40$ per year. There are a huge amount of older (nyt classic et al) puzzles to download free. As well as cryptics.

Just gave my mom an old tablet while she's on chemo, I'll try the stylus, thanks!

Offline Belisarius

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2013, 09:52:25 PM »
I have to do the same for my parents. There needs to be a simplified launcher.

There is. It's called a kindle fire. Swap it for one of those, as caveman could use it.

Don't get me wrong, nexus is better... but for technophobes kindle is way simpler.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Archie

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2013, 12:14:01 AM »
Well, if she can't figure it out,  run on down to Walmart and get her a $300 laptop with Windows 8 on it.

I'm sure she will just fall in love with it...................

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 12:05:36 PM »
I have to do the same for my parents. There needs to be a simplified launcher.

There is. It's called a kindle fire. Swap it for one of those, as caveman could use it.

Don't get me wrong, nexus is better... but for technophobes kindle is way simpler.

"Swap"?  Right.   ;D  Don't want a Kindle...already researched it...that was why I picked the Nexus.  ::)

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:20 PM »
Well, if she can't figure it out,  run on down to Walmart and get her a $300 laptop with Windows 8 on it.

I'm sure she will just fall in love with it...................

Oh sure.  W8 is SO much better than W7.   ;)  (Note extreme sarcasm!)

No. The whole point of the tablet is the small size - so a laptop would not have worked for her.

Besides...it's all good now.  She is enjoying it now that she has become more familiar with it, and the stylus was  big help!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 04:05:04 PM »
I think a Laptop is much more complicated. You we're kidding right?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts