March 28, 2024, 08:49:43 AM

collapse

Author Topic: 81 year old mom says take it back. :-(  (Read 6766 times)

Offline chessie

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
81 year old mom says take it back. :-(
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:40:42 PM »
We got my mom a Nexus, after much discussion about whether or not she would be able to use it.  I didn't think she would, but my sister was really convinced that it would be a Godsend for our mom, as dad sits on the computer all day long playing games.  I showed her how to open a browser, how to access FB, use the keypad...even downloaded a nice Mahjong ap that she likes.  But she is just over it.  She told me yesterday that she's putting it back in the box.  I don't know that we can return it, my sis bought it out of state, and we don't have that store here locally, even if the WOULD take it back.  I am fairly techy so this stuff seems like 2nd nature to me, but she is not too adept at figuring things out I guess.  She does use a computer, and does fine with that ( I do often have to clean up things and recreate shortcuts and the like).

So, just looking for suggestions here....anyone have ideas as far as how to make it more "senior-friendly"? 

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: 81 year old mom says take it back. :-(
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:57:52 PM »
Oh you kids with your new-fangled gadgets!

It may be the tiny keyboard, try a usb or bluetooth kb.
Show her how she can 'type' messages by speaking.
You can make the fonts larger and in settings/system/accessibility there are more options.

Offline jaydd

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
You could install Nova launcher. The paid version would allow you to increase the icon size if that's any help.
And keep it plain and simple.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Lizzrd

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:49 PM »
There's an inexpensive Bluetooth keyboard on Amazon. Maybe that will help as well? Make it more like a mini laptop?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
RN, caver, handheld tech enthusiast.

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 05:21:43 PM »
OP hasn't really said why she doesn't like it. What exactly has she said ?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »
I will buy it. Lol. Seriously speaking, what are the issues? There has already been some good advice but could use more info to pinpoint something that might help her adjust.
Touch screen takes some time getting used too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:40:57 PM by bjs229 »

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »
Slap some Barbara Streisand films and music on that baby and she'll love it!  Seriously, if it were my 81 year old mother or grandmother I'd load it up with some of her favorite music, pictures of family, grandkids, etc, load up some of her favorite books.  Don't forget an app for her favorite radio station or perhaps a subscription to her favorite magazine...(Threads Magazine or something related to knitting or sewing usually goes over well with 81 year old women).  Whatever her hobbies are, find some apps, magazines, websites...bookmark these sites for her.

Maybe add some short videos of the kids saying hi to her that she can play to remind her of her family.   

Demonstrate Skype with the grandkids...that's always a good one as well.

Finally, now Streamline down all the apps to the bare essentials and put an entire family picture on a nice wallpaper for the background.

In otherwords PERSONALIZE THE NEXUS 7 TO HER and presto...it's now her favorite companion!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:15:13 PM by Babyfacemagee »
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:20 AM »
OP hasn't really said why she doesn't like it. What exactly has she said ?

Her exact words were " I can't do anything at all with it.  I can't figure out anything."

And that, after we had showed her email, browsing, games...oy.   ::)

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »
Slap some Barbara Streisand films and music on that baby and she'll love it!  Seriously, if it were my 81 year old mother or grandmother I'd load it up with some of her favorite music, pictures of family, grandkids, etc, load up some of her favorite books.  Don't forget an app for her favorite radio station or perhaps a subscription to her favorite magazine...(Threads Magazine or something related to knitting or sewing usually goes over well with 81 year old women).  Whatever her hobbies are, find some apps, magazines, websites...bookmark these sites for her.

Maybe add some short videos of the kids saying hi to her that she can play to remind her of her family.   

Finally, now Streamline down all the apps to the bare essentials and put an entire family picture on a nice wallpaper for the background.

In otherwords PERSONALIZE THE NEXUS 7 TO HER and presto...it's now her favorite companion!

Sigh.  I already spend quite a bit of time there helping them with the computer when they get things screwed up.  This is why I was against the tablet...seemed like just another gadget that would require more time on my part.  I am the only sibling in the state, so of course the others are never concerned about how much of MY time these gifts will require.  I'll get with her again this weekend and see if I can do anything else for her on it.  She's not someone with a lot of patience, and frankly I don't get any enjoyment out of being the recipient of her frustration.   I was really hoping she would love it.

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 11:23:37 AM »
Perhaps it's too small and she would/might like a 10" tablet?

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Re: 81 year old mom says take it back. :-(
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 12:49:06 PM »

I don't think its the size. I thinks she just doesn't see a need for one or sees a need to be more mobile with a computer. She might just like sitting down with a big ol computer and sees a tablet as an inconvenience. That's how my mom is and I feel your pain, she's technologically challenged.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
I have to do the same for my parents. There needs to be a simplified launcher. Skype with the great grandkids might be the killer app.

Explain that learning new things and puzzle solving help keep the brain healthy. I've dealt with Alzheimers with a relative and worry about my own mental lapses. Make a game of exploring the nex7. One app at a time.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 04:14:47 PM »
Old folks get set in their ways. You've set it up with familiar programs like mahjong for her. If she still won't use it, it's a hot item, &  will be easy to sell.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »

We talked about the larger size, but decided against it as we thought the smaller 7" would be more convenient, and if she ever did get to the point that she decided to take it with her, it would fit in her bag.

Offline chessie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »

As far as movies and music, nah...not for her.  She has a perfectly good TV in the den and in the bedroom, so I can't see where she would think that watching movies on a 7" screen would be better.  :D  And she isn't into music, so that wouldn't do anything for her either.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman