March 28, 2024, 07:37:00 PM

collapse

Author Topic: reading free books  (Read 3564 times)

Offline rojell

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
reading free books
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
HI guys just got my n7 a few days ago and wanted to see how to read books that are not in play books.
Do you have to have another reading app, and where do you put the books off the computer. I have
found a file manager app that lets you see the folders and create new ones, but not to sure if that is
the way to go. I guess this will also go for watching movies and shows. Thanx and i hope i don't ask
to many noob or bad questions.

rojell

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: reading free books
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
Try  the wattpad app.  It has the largest library of free books next to Google.. The problem with Google is it's extremely difficult to find the free books among the for sale books. Tolkein's "The Hobbit" is public domain, but Google will show you  half a dozen for sale versions of the book before it displays a free one.

Sent from my MK808 using Tapatalk 2

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline Bigtroutz

• Popularity: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Reading ebooks on any device is dependent on what that device allows by way of format / application and there are many many formats.  The kindle app and kindle devices only allow by default .azw, .mobi, .prc, .txt, .pdf files but NOT .ePub.  Because the Nexus 7 has the latest Android OS, you may use as many eReader applications you like and there are many more good ones than you have fingers and toes.  Some of the best ones can read most all of the most common ebook formats like ePub as well as those employed by the kindles, like CoolReader.  More on eBook formats here:  MobileRead Wiki - E-book formats

Second, eBook converter / DRM removal tools are also as common as leaves on trees and I would never say one is best.  However, the freeware Calibre is very widely used in the eBook community and has versions for PC, Mac, Linux and Android.  Hamster is the converter subset of Calibre.    Much more info here:  MobileRead Wiki - E-book conversion

some more useful links:
calibre - E-book management  --> Calibre home
Calibre: a single place to view, tag, and manage your ebook collection - freewaregenius.com
Hamster Free Ebook Converter: converts ebooks across a wide range of formats - freewaregenius.com
MobileRead
614 Places for Free eBooks Online ---> currently 600+ places for free books online
Best Free eBook Reader for Android   ----> reviews of some of the best Android eReader Apps
Top Apps for Reading Ebooks on Android Devices | VikiTech.com ----->  same as above reviews
Comparison of Android e-book reader software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia  ----> real nice comparison tables

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:16:02 PM »
Try  the wattpad app.  It has the largest library of free books next to Google.. The problem with Google is it's extremely difficult to find the free books among the for sale books. Tolkein's "The Hobbit" is public domain, but Google will show you  half a dozen for sale versions of the book before it displays a free one.

Sent from my MK808 using Tapatalk 2

You might want to check that public domain copy.  The heirs of Tolkien seem WAY to grasping to not have renewed the copyright.

Copyright law is way out of control these days - who would have thought that big corps would own the music and dole out pennies to the artists who recorded it, eh ?

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 09:19:02 PM »
Organize your files which ever way is most convenient for you.  I use a folder labeled "books".  In the folder, I have two sub-folders:  "audio" and "printed".  Works for me.

My favorite reading app is Cool Reader.  I use it almost exclusively.

Two sources for free e-books:
Free eBooks by Project Gutenberg
614 Places for Free eBooks Online

A web search will yield many more sites.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline rojell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 09:28:13 PM »
wow     Thanx guys that is alot of info.
I will be looking over all that stuff. I think
it might take me a while lol.

rojell

Offline rojell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
I have gone through alot if the info already and can now read my books.
Now im looking into the calibre app this looks very cool.

thanx for the help guys

rojell

Offline Bigtroutz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 05:12:36 PM »
I have gone through alot if the info already and can now read my books.
Now im looking into the calibre app this looks very cool.

thanx for the help guys

rojell

good idea about Calibre - there is a lot to learn with Calibre and I have to admit that I haven't learn a fraction of what it offers.  I need to find the time to install the Android client and use it to transfer books back and forth - that looks neat.  I have used it to catalog my books on my desktop and convert when I need to (I have a Kindle 3 that can not deal with ePub and sux at displaying PDFs - for that matter so does the N7 !!  PDFs just are not flexible enuf as a reading format.

I find it's interface a tad clunky but once you get used to it, it works fine and is good at what it does.   I use CoolReader, Kindle Reader, and Moon+ reader in that order on my N7 but the battery life can not compare to the Kindle.

enjoy !

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts