March 29, 2024, 05:55:32 AM

collapse

Author Topic: google accounts and a nosy girlfriend, any way to make nexus 7 more private?  (Read 7938 times)

Offline jkeen

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
New owner of the nexus 7, had a few questions regarding google accounts and various apps/privacy

My problem: I know i can create a separate user account for her but she is offended that i would want to lock my user environment from her...so i'm stuck with her able to access my user account.

I know i can delete the gmail app if i want and then just use chrome to sign in and sign out to get around that but I just said screw it and left the gmail app on, not that big of a deal.

One thing that i can't figure out though is what to do about the gallery and camera. I hate that you can't unlink the gallery from a google account without removing the entire google account (thus making gmail and other apps worthless). I don't want my picasa photo albums in the gallery and i've removed them but then as soon as it syncs they are back.

I was annoyed so i disabled the gallery app but found that it automatically kills the camera. My current work around is i created a separate google account and linked that to gallery but if anyone wanted to they could go to the settings of gallery and resynch it to my original gmail account and then it would redownload all my pictures again. Again very annoying. Are there any camera apps and image storage apps that work with the gallery app disabled??

Anyways i'll probably end up just removing my pictures from my picassa account. I'm assuming, though i havent downloaded it yet that google drive app would work the same way.

I could use an app locker but then i no longer have the illusion of me trusting her with my accounts.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Hmmmm...what exactly are you trying to hide??? LOL  Please don't tell me you have a secret family, wife, kids, house and all in a nearby town like some Lifetime movie. :)

In all seriousness (wait, that was serious, wasn't it???) you might want to look through some of the privacy apps available on google play. There are ones that can hide your gallery pictures from prying eyes, erase history and more.  Let us know what you end up doing.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline mikespe

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Buy your girlfriend her own nexus...problem solved!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
cia agent?  lol dude create a fake google account and use it for google's main app. she'll be able to freely use the tablet thinking that u trust her!
then download dolphin browser,  use it to check your real stuff and before exiting the browser, when it'll ask you to delete every info, press ok. 
she'll be happy cause she'll think you ain't got nothing to hide,  and you'll be able to mind your own business not worrying about her

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
If GF is not technology inclined, this would work. Go to Settings - Accounts and Sync - and long press on the Google account name and remove the checks from the items that you do not want to sync with your tablet. (photos, calendar, mail,  etc.) I agree that it is not a secure method, but good enough for the casual users.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
If GF is not technology inclined, this would work. Go to Settings - Accounts and Sync - and long press on the Google account name and remove the checks from the items that you do not want to sync with your tablet. (photos, calendar, mail,  etc.) I agree that it is not a secure method, but good enough for the casual users.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

you are right,  that'd work too.

Offline jkeen

• View Profile
Haha...nothing really to hide but i'm not in love with the idea of her or anyone being able to search through years of old messages between ex's, purchase receipts, chats...etc. Again I did decide to keep the gmail app because i like it better than using chrome for gmail, if she wants to be that nosy, then whatever its not that interesting, but it would be cool if google gave you the option to password protect certain folders within the app, that would be nice.

My main annoyance now is the whole google photo/gallery/picasa thing. I have a bunch of pictures stored in picasa and i don't want them cluttering up the gallery app in nexus 7.

Are there any ways to use the camera and an app to store pictures without it being linked to gallery and a google account?

I just don't understand why you can't pick and choose which apps you want linked to your google account, seems retarded that you can't remove the link of gallery to a google account without removing it from everything.

...and I've already unchecked the automatic sync thing, but within gallery you're only 2 clicks away from everything reappearing from picasa

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
Doesn't multi user support fix this and just set up a pin for your user?

JayJ

Sarge, Sarge...did you read the OP? lol

You could disable the Gallery and use Camera JB+, you'd still have a working camera and Gallery but not synced to Google+ or Picasa.

Just to add, if your girlfriend is so techy about you having a password enabled account, wouldn't she be equally annoyed by any other locked down applications??

There's other questions here but quite frankly none of our business...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Belisarius

• View Profile
Sounds like you need a girlfriend upgrade to me...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
Ouch!  :P
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

Sounds like you need a girlfriend upgrade to me...

I was thinking similar... :-X

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Personally, I would tell her to mind her own business. A man's email and browsing habits are sacred. Where is the trust here? If it is that big of an issue I would stop sharing and buy her one. My wife doesn't read my email and I don't read hers. If she did we would be history LMAO! >:D

« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 11:14:46 PM by bjs229 »

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
ahahahahahahahahaha

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
I would either buy her one or setup multi user with a password and just ignore her when she complains about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts