March 19, 2024, 03:34:37 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Syncing N7 to Linux and OSX via MTP using USB  (Read 16349 times)

Offline samalex

• Popularity: 4
    • View Profile
Syncing N7 to Linux and OSX via MTP using USB
« on: July 17, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
When I first connected my Nexus 7 to my laptop running Xubuntu 12.04 I was shocked that it didn't appear as a USB device as my Kindle Fire and DroidX do, but after some research i saw they changed how ICS and JB use USB connectivity.  Now it uses MTP or PTP where PTP is more for pics and MTP is for accessing the file system.  Problem though is Linux doesn't natively support MTP.

So here's how to set it up:

Set up a UDEV rule via the terminal by opening the rules file

Code: [Select]
sudo nano -w /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules
And entering the following line at the end of the file (be sure to use your user name at the end!):

SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="04e8", ATTR{idProduct}=="6860", MODE="0600", OWNER="<your-username>"
Now install the tools and set a mount point by entering the following commands one line at a time

sudo apt-get install mtpfs
sudo mkdir /media/GNexus
sudo chmod 775 /media/GNexus

Plug your Galaxy Nexus in, and enter the next line in the same terminal window:

sudo mtpfs -o allow_other /media/GNexus
Drag and drop through Nautilus, and when you're done and need to unmount, enter the following:

sudo umount mtpfs
[Source]

As for OSX it's also not supported natively, but Google has this app to add support - http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Offline DaveS

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Syncing N7 to Linux and OSX via MTP using USB
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 12:14:07 AM »
Actually, for one linux system to be specially designed in such a way it cant speak to another without using a Microsoft Protocol is a disgrace.
Thanks for your research. As a user that ONLY runs Linux (12.04) I would have been stuck without this 'how to'.
I have come across this before with various MP3 players, notably Samsung, but never expected from another Linux device. Lets hope Google update it.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 07:14:41 AM »
I haven't found any way to enable UMS (USB Mass Storage)  on the Nexus 7, seems Jellybean only supports MTP or PTP which is less than ideal.  Also it stinks that Linux users have to go through this hoop given my Kindle Fire with UMS support would just show-up as a mounted drive automatically when connected with no hassle. 

I'm sure someone will address this soon, but I'm betting it won't be from Google since this has apparently been an issue on many devices since ICS.  I found a tutorial where someone released a patch for the Samsung Galaxy S3, but I'm not sure if this'll work with the N7.  Hopefully a similar one will come out soon though for us.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
Found this video today from XDA about the UMS vs MTP.  It sheds some light on this whole debacle though it's talking more about the Galaxy S then the Nexus 7.  And did I mention the girl is rather cute???  :o

So I'm still in search of some way to add UMS to the Nexus 7... hopefully it'll come soon.

Offline DaveS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:40:59 AM »
I  came across this, especailly good for Unity users. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1773598

Offline DaveS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 11:52:30 AM »
I have had a chance try the Unity script in the above post now and it is great. It uses two scripts, one to mount and one to unmount, called from a Unity menu button, but they could just as easily be extracted from the unzipped download folder and used with Xubuntu.

Offline samalex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »
Something to note, this weekend when I turned on my laptop it hung after the Xubuntu slash screen, and dmesg showed the rule I added in /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules was the culprit. I removed this, rebooted, and all was good.  So at least on Xubuntu 12.04 running XFCE 4.10 this might give you some unexpected results.  I'll do some testing and report back on what I find, but just an FYI for any other Xubuntu users out there.

Also something to note, Xubuntu 12.04 comes with XFCE 4.08, but I upgraded to 4.10 when it was released... and it's not fully supported on Xubuntu 12.04.  That might be the problem, but I won't know for sure until I get into it more.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 09:34:08 AM by samalex »

Offline commodore128

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 01:15:15 PM »
i use Revlinux OS(beta) an off shoot of kde 12.04 and after checking out the web managed to get my nexus 7 recognised using gmtp from synaptic(will not show up as a device but running the program and hitting the connect button brings up the contents of my nexus7. from what i can remember the most talked about subject was the speed of transfers being slow but what the heck it works.

Offline commodore128

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 02:52:54 PM »
just an update--found that i can talk to my 7 from linux using ADB. i did it the hard way before i found this link which will put the tools in you software sources.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/08/install-adb-and-fastboot-android-tools.html

unfortunatly or fortunatly from which ever prospective---command line only  :(  ;D
plus once installed does not require root in a terminal. to many commands to mention but

adb start-server
adb pull /sdcard/??folder/ (will pull files to home directory)
adb kill-server

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts