March 28, 2024, 05:57:17 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Paranoid Android and PIE  (Read 3628 times)

Offline limbot

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Paranoid Android and PIE
« on: January 24, 2013, 10:53:18 PM »
Anybody else using? PIE version 3 is very smooth and a fantastic addition to the ROM.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoid Android and PIE
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 12:09:08 AM »
I just helped my grandson install it on his 32GB Nexus 7. I like what I'm seeing, and may install it on my N7, if there is a way to get red navigation bar buttons for my astronomy apps, and if 4.2.1's bugs are tolerable. I am running Paranoid Android 2.54 on mine.

Sent from my rooted MK808 using Tapatalk 2

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 02:35:26 AM »
I was wondering how long before somebody posted this, I was going to but used it for a couple days and found settings crashed when I tried to turn the volume up with headphones or a speaker connected to the 3.5mm jack.
This happened on You Tube, MX Player, Camera JB+ and the stock Gallery application.

Has it been fixed yet?

I was most definitely impressed with what I saw, I always liked expandable desktop mode anyway but you can use it more with PIE and it's quite intuitive.

The build I used was with PIE 2 so what's new in PIE 3?

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 03:03:34 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Jayj. I use my hpjack a lot. This would have been a major problem.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 03:38:19 PM »
It might be fixed now Barry, I didn't have the time to check the thread on XDA...

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline limbot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
I dirty upgraded the first versions and then with 3.1 ended up clean installing. Haven't had any issues.  But if course the"problem"with Android is that it's so "fragmented" that what errors for some doesn't happen for others.

Addendum

Just tried Spotify,Tuned in Radio,Dice Player and the standard music player with an X-mini capsule 2 plugged in and no issue.  Of course YMMV :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 05:45:40 PM by limbot »

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 07:35:05 PM »
I installed 2.99, the Jan 28,PIE4 version.  No audio problems using volume up control with headphones w/Pandora, YouTube, or my birding apps.

PIE is very nice.  I got  red navigation bar buttons set up in my astronomy apps.

The only thing I don't like about PA 2.99 PIE4 is the loss of using the volume keys to move the cursor while typing.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 07:51:14 PM by birdastrompgman »
Rooted Nexus 7

JayJ

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 02:42:04 AM »
I installed it again the other day but I felt the PIE controls thing a novelty and after a while downright annoying.
It's an added movement having to swipe up to exit an app or move back in an app, just found it... can't think of the word...

Back on stock again atm, might try AOKP or CM again though...

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 07:56:05 PM »
But the beauty of PIE is you can revert to the standard notification buttons/bar by dropping the expanded desktop.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Rooted Nexus 7

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 06:44:40 AM »
Sure but Paranoid only offers PIE and per app DPI which is IMO pretty useless on a small tab.

But hey, I'm not knocking it. I truly support the dev community, it's just not for me atm...

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:58 AM »
FWIW, I experienced a strange meltdown of my 16GB Nexus 7 running 2.99 Jan 28 distribution, yesterday.

It started with no notification bar when I dropped out of expanded desktop mode.  Rebooting didn't fix it. Then my N7 wouldn't boot past the boot animation, and wouldn't go into custom (CWM Touch) recovery. I couldn't turn it off, either.  It kept trying to reboot. I could get into the bootloader, but start & recovery options didn't work.

I had to reflash custom recovery & restore a Nandroid backup.

Rooted Nexus 7

Offline WonderWoofy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
I used PA for about a week or so. It was pretty okay. I ended up using M-kernel set to 1300Mhz and my gpu @ 446. All slightly undervolted by 25. It was nice and stable, but want I was really after was the tablet ui.

As you may or may not know, there are a number of ROMs now based on 4.2 that have a tablet ui, many of them are now even independent of the dpi. So at the moment I am running Dirty Rootbox. IMO, it may have too many features, but still a nice ROM.

I agree with the comment above that the pie controls are mostly a novelty. After a while they are just annoying. What would have been a simple tap is now a thrice as long ordeal.

I just like the tablet ui because it puts the controls and notifications where they should be... by your thumbs!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline greatwyrmm

• You can't triple stamp a double stamp!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 02:56:51 AM »
I am actually using them on my Nexus Toro phone with tablet mode/expanded desktop on JB Sourcery v4.5. I agree, these controls are pretty slick.
Do not wait for the iron to become hot to strike.
Make the iron hot by striking!

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts