March 18, 2024, 11:59:20 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Rumor: Nexus 7 2nd Generation To Go With Snapdragon S4 Pro Processor  (Read 3359 times)

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile

According to a report today out of Barron's, supply chain rumors have Google choosing to go with the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro Processor with Adreno GPU for the 2nd generation Nexus 7.  According to Pacific Crest Analyst Michael McConnell, - “Supply chain conversations indicate two reasons for Google’s selection of the Snapdragon APQ8064 over Tegra 4 (Nvidia): (1) competitive pricing and (2) a decision to single-source the application processor and 3G/4G modem to simplify logistics and create a fully pin-compatible platform interface.”

The Snapdragon S4 Pro is the next generation Snapdragon SOC consisting of Krait CPU architecture coupled with  Adreno 320 graphics and while available in both dual and quad core versions is expected to use the quad core in the new Nexus 7.  Benchmarks of the S4 Pro show substantial improvements on all benchmarks when compared to the Nvidia Tegra 3 and the Snapdragon S4 Pro should also compete well with the Tegra 4.   It's not clear what speed or exactly what version of the S4 Pro processor will be used at this point and keep in mind this is just a supply chain rumor at this point.   For more info on the S4 Pro Toms Hardware recently had a nice benchmark review and comparison article that you'll want to check out.   

Barrons

Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

JayJ

Re: Rumor: Nexus 7 2nd Generation To Go With Snapdragon S4 Pro Processor
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 02:32:28 AM »
Blah blah blah... rumours... last week it was the Tegra 4...

But I def won't be getting a 2nd gen N7 if this is true, while the Snapdragon S4 Pro is awesome processor this is a side step, not a step up.

Tegra... Tegra... Tegra...

:D

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:34:21 AM by JayJ »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:28 AM »
Qualcomm :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

JayJ

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 12:00:38 AM »
:P

Sent from my 16GB Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 04:11:37 AM »
Personally I consider the choice of processors in the 2nd generation Nexus 7 a moot point. The current Nexus 7 serves my tablet needs, so without some compelling hardware changes or my current one falling victim to an accident , I will probably skip the 2nd generation. I see the marketing advantages of introducing a new model annually and I enjoy seeing Android continue to evolve, but I am not impressed when issues with prior models are ignored by the manufacturers when a new model is released. Therefore, I anxiously await the Nexus 7 2nd generation and seeing the level of support that Google maintains for the first generation.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman