April 18, 2024, 01:30:42 PM

collapse

Author Topic: I'm trying to love it...  (Read 10091 times)

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: I'm trying to love it...
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
My "fascist" appellation was aimed at the company, not the users. My opinion only. If some program is not as good as the ios version, you can request features from the developer and wait for an update, or try a multitude of alternate programs until you find one to your liking. Android is a work in progress, not a polished perfection. If you ask what everyone's fave music streaming app is, you might find helpful responses.

I'm behind the curve, just started with Pandora to listen to bands that whine about women in song.

Offline mdholm

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »
This is NOT a derogatory statement?  "People who can, buy an Android device. People who can't, buy an Apple device."  Its about as condescending as anything I've read.  Reread the thread; there are several "if you like Apple, you aren't very smart" type of comments. 

And, I know the hardware specs; I can read those for myself.  I came here and asked for examples of what the N7 does that an iPad doesn't.  What I got were hardware specs, the fact that you can customize the screen, and a conversation between other members regarding music apps. 

Why do you have to make me feel small to feel good about your choices? 

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
The Nexus 7 doesn't do more or less than an iPad, they're just different devices.

It's like comparing Windows, OSX and Linux.
All do the job, and you choose what you want to use.

Plus, your comment about not getting on with a Nexus and going back to iOS wasn't warranted either, especially as people had offered assistance.

I like Apple products as they do what they're supposed to, but I'd never have one as they're also too restrictive.

Sent from my 16Gb Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:52:22 AM by CBers »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 12:11:47 PM »
I was sincerely sad to hear your decision., hence my comment. There are many things that fruity devices do well. If they can do it, so can we, if not better... If there is a specific function or task that you want to perform and are having trouble figuring out, you need to ask questions. One day is hardly enough time to figure out an entire operating system.

I don't feel that people are attacking you, but I honestly feel that it just might not be for you. You don't have to be a technical person to love it, that's the great thing about open source. There are easy ways to do things, very complex ways to do the same thing with more options, and everything in between. The support from developers in the Android community is awesome. Like others have said, you can contact an app developer and they will help you.

Have you done your part? Did you ask the right questions and provide the needed information? Have you contacted any developers?

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »
Some apps have more features for certain operating systems. Just a fact of life. I hear people complain about it from all ends.
I am just a little confused. You know about the hardware differences, you thought the Nexus was more comfortable, so what were the deciding factors out side of your allegiance to Apple? I am sorry if you feel like you were mistreated here. It is pretty stunning to hear because we take pride in helping everyone and being family. If you were struggling with your device, I am sure that there would be help in a matter of minutes. Your post really didn't get across that you needed help. Android takes some time to learn when coming from IOS. It isn't very difficult if you have some experience dealing with folders and moving files and such. Each system takes some time to learn. The thing I like most about my Nexus is, I am able to squeeze every ounce of goodness out of it. When I tried to do the same to my Ipad and I phone, I could barely get a drop of Apple juice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 12:14:22 PM »
I don't necessarily agree with you in regards to my statement not being warranted, as I wanted to let people know that, despite their attempts, Android was not for me and I was moving on.  It was not my intent to cause offense; its my choice and I don't know why that would be insulting to anyone.  In hindsight, I should've just left the forum without another word. 

Thank you to those who did try to help. 

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 12:35:25 PM »
To clarify, I've had the Nexus 7 for 3 weeks.  I used it off and on for the first two, and completely dedicated myself to it for the third.  I didn't touch my iPad once, and used my phone for calls and texting only. 

Here are a few of my complaints (for lack of a "friendlier" word):

Email is difficult to use.  I tried the preloaded gmail app, Kaiten, and K9 email.  None of them were easy for me to navigate.  For instance, how do you delete an email?  I work from home, and get a lot of emails.  There are times when I do have to travel, though, and I want a device that is easy to manage my emails on.  I did ask about how to make "always show photos" the default setting and was told that I can't.  Why not?  Why do I have to tell each and every email I receive to show the pictures? 

When I try to read a magazine in my Kindle app, it doesn't open up like a magazine should.  It reads more like a book, and many things seem to be out of order.  I can't figure out how to go back to "magazine mode", or if that's even an option. 

I mentioned missing content before; which makes no sense to me.  If the app is available across both platforms, shouldn't they have the same content? 

There is an app called Droid TV.  I have it on my Fire HD; it is one of the best apps I have an any device because it allows me to download tv shows to my Fire and I can watch them without streaming.  This is especially handy for flights.  I know other apps allow for downloads as well, but you have to pay for each and every show you download.  Droid TV is a subscription service, like Spotify, with unlimited viewing as long as you pay you fees.  For reasons not known to me, this app is no longer available. 

I am not technically literate.  "Open source" means nothing to me.  I will never root the Nexus 7; I just want it to work well for my needs. 

I AM disappointed; I had high hopes for the N7.  It IS the right size for my hand, the iPad Mini is too wide to hold comfortably.  I read a lot of reviews; they all said the Nexus 7 was the small tablet to beat.  I wanted it to work for me.  But, if I can't even perform the simple task of managing email, then what good is it for me? 

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 12:45:39 PM »
I'm sure that if you had posed questions or raised these concerns, we could have helped. Would you still be willing to accept our help and give this device another go around?

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 01:03:25 PM »
I'm sure that if you had posed questions or raised these concerns, we could have helped. Would you still be willing to accept our help and give this device another go around?

Sure; nobody has responded to my CraigsList ad so I might as well fire it back up and give it another whirl.  Thanks!

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
Another thing...can you not use a stylus with a Nexus 7? Because I can't with mine no matter what I'm doing.

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 01:51:56 PM »
Well, let's revisit your gmail issues and then I'll help you with getting Droid TV installed. In mean time, try using Google currents for magazines, and give us some feedback.

With Gmail, its not an app exclusive to the Nexus, or WiFi only devices. Because the app is also used universally on devices with limited data plans, images are not loaded by default. However, you are given the option to select "show pictures," and then "always show pictures from this sender."

To delete an email, tap on the check boxes on the left of the message instead of opening it. You will have an action toolbar on top. Click the trash can...

You should have no issues using a stylus, as long as its a capacitive stylus. This means that the body of the stylus must make electrical contact with your skin. So, no gloves. I bought a ten pack off eBay for three bucks and they work just fine.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:55:35 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 03:16:04 PM »
Ok, I'm able to delete emails now. I'm not a fan of having to show pics all the time, but I guess I can deal with that.

Google Currents seems to be like Flipbaord or Pulse. I don't see how to get subscription magazines in there.   I'm frustrated that I can't read magazines through the Amazon app without having them default to this weird format.

I can use a stylus now. I couldn't at all before. I wonder if something kicked in when I reset to factory and started up again.

I figured out how to add multiple email accounts, but how do you rename them? Can that be done?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 04:19:58 PM »
I think it's cool you are  giving this another shot .  If you decide to dump Android at least it will be an educated decision.
Hopefully, you will stick with it for a while.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline CBers

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 04:31:04 PM »
Google Currents seems to be like Flipbaord or Pulse.
Flipboard is available on Android as well.

Look in Google Play.

Sent from my 16Gb Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
I feel like I'm missing something. Does the Amazon Kindle app not work with the Nexus?

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman