April 20, 2024, 06:29:23 AM

collapse

Author Topic: I'm trying to love it...  (Read 10096 times)

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Re: I'm trying to love it...
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 04:42:14 PM »
Kindle works, but its an Amazon book reader. You are using a Google device, so a Google magazine reader is your best bet full functionality. There are many free apps on the market, you just have to find the one that works for your specific needs.

Sent From my Dual-boot Razr Maxx (RaZR3Ds.JB.ROM.FiNaL.v3-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:44:52 PM by loociddreemr »

Offline mdholm

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
I'm lost. How do I read a paid subscription in Google Magazines without paying for it again?

Offline NordieBoy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 06:49:24 PM »
We don't get access to Google magazines or any part of the Amazon app store over here.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 09:02:23 PM »
When you say paid do you mean thru Amazon? Is going thru a browser any better than the Kindle app? Is there any way after you buy a file from them to actually possess it and do with it what you wish?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline Scott99

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
You will be hard pressed to find a bigger Apple fan than myself (iphone wise). I love the iPhone, have had one version or another since it first came out in 2007. I love iOS. Love it's simplicity, love everything about it. BUT, I truly love the freedom Android/Google gives you. I love being able to make my Nexus 7, truly mine, also, I love the freedom to download things like emulators, I have a ton of games from the NES to the PS1. You have to jailbreak the iPhone/iPad to get those. I love that my Nexus 7 gets updated frequently. And, I love the different browsers I have on the Nexus 7, Chrome is so much smoother than Safari. Love reading books on my Nexus 7. Love the speed of the OS. Just love everything about it.

Maybe I'm easy to please, but I've loved my Nexus 7 since day one (got it on release date July 14th 2012). It has replaced my notebook computer.

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:17 PM »
Maybe I just don't have enough imagination for the Nexus.  I don't know. 

I agree about Chrome; that's why I use it on my iPad, as well. 

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 08:26:42 AM »
<<<Well, let's revisit your gmail issues and then I'll help you with getting Droid TV installed. In mean time, try using Google currents for magazines, and give us some feedback.>>>

How do I install Droid TV?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 09:08:47 AM »
I found the actual app, but its no longer supported by the developer. Do you currently have this on another device?  What I saw was $3.99 for a 3 month subscription.

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 09:12:11 AM »
I have it on my Kindle Fire.  It had been pulled from the Amazon App Store for a short period, but now its back.  I downloaded it from there.  So, I'm good there.  Where did you find it?  I don't know where to look for Android apps, beyond Amazon and Google Play. 

So, now I just have the magazine issue to resolve and I might actually start liking this thing  :D

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
MD, what country do you live in? Its important to know to see what Google services are available to you.  Did you get the gmail thing figured out? Part of the reason they don't always show photos is because its a security risk if you don't know who the sender is. Really handy when dealing with spam but as others said you can make it so that gmail downloads photos from a certain sender all the time. When you open the gmail it will say click to view photos, after you click it that turns into click to always view photos from this sender. Just makes life easy.

As far as your magazine issue I have no idea. And honestly I don't read magazines on my tablet. I have subscriptions but I like to read the hard copy for the same reason you said. It doesn't look right on a tablet.

Droid TV is available on the amazon app store. Check there. Its 8.99 though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »
Here's a link to what I found.

DroidTV

Download the file. Open it and click install. If it asks you to allow apps from unknown sources, check the box.

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:36 PM »
Sarge, I'm in the US.  I was able to download Droid TV to my Nexus from the Amazon app store.  I already had it on my Fire, and the subscription carried over to the Nexus, so that was cool.  Others have said that they have to get a separate account for each device; it was nice to avoid that. 

I like this app because it works similar to how a music service app works.  Pay a monthly fee (although in this case its a fee for 3 months, I believe) and download as many shows as you want.  My company flies me around fairly often, and I like that I can download shows and watch them without having to have a wi-fi connection.  So I was very sad when I couldn't put it on the Nexus.  I do have it on the Fire, but I find the Fire a bit too constrictive.  Which is ironic, since I find the Nexus too open. 

The magazine thing is making me nuts.  It just seems like I'm missing something.  I have the Kindle app and the mags come through, but only in "book" format.  I can't imagine that that is how all Android users want it; seems like someone would've squawked by now. 

JayJ

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Amazon Kindle works fine on the Nexus 7 as it does with other Android devices.

Personally I find the stock email clients easy to use,  the Gmail app is not perfect but serves it's purpose. As loocid said above, you can tick the box then tap the trashcan icon, long pressing the email in list view also selects it and the activates the message action bar the bottom of the screen. Swiping the email supposedly archives one way and deletes the other but I have never got this to work (archives both directions) so I changed the settings to delete both directions, makes deleting single emails from the email list nice and easy.
Again the stock email client is simple enough, I use to use K9 exclusively on previous OEM Android phones but I actually like to stock client. Deleting emails from this is similar and east enough, in the email, tap the trashcan or in list view tick the boxes and tap the trashcan.

Email accounts can be renamed in the stock Email client (not Gmail), in the app press menu (three dots) and select settings. Select the account you wish to rename and the first option should be Account name, tap to rename.

As for apps that are available for multiple platforms, as mentioned, ask the developer. I will say though that the likes of the Amazon Kindle contribute to Android fragmentation, although based on Android, the Amazon OS is a very different beast to Android.

Droid TV, I don't use this app but there is probably a good reason it was pulled from Google Play. It's nature would make me think possibly copyright laws.

If you need anymore help, just ask.

Sent from my 32GB Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline mdholm

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 10:32:43 AM »
I guess I'm confused about the Kindle app, or not explaining myself clearly, because I can't imagine that this is the way its meant to work. 

Regarding Droid TV; its a subscription service.  I assumed it worked the same way as any paid music subscription app and figured they had the copyright issues worked out. 

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 12:56:36 PM »
The kindle app suckssssss. I hate it a lot. You can't control screen brightness and they can't get their act together on page numbering. Like I said, its far easier to read the print version or to buy a new digital subscription.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts