As most of you know I try to highlight a game on Fridays so that we all have something fun to start the weekend off with. Instead of a specific game this week I thought i'd intro a really cool app that instead let's you access virtually the entire library of Super NES titles via an emulator running on your Nexus 7. SuperGNES bills itself as 'The Premier SNES Emulator' and by the sound of many of the reviews in the Google Play Store it seems like a fitting description. The video below is a quick tutorial on the use of SuperGNES that'll get you up to speed on just how it works.
• Fastest emulation, best game compatibility
• Ultra-fast SuperFX core support for playing StarFox & Yoshi's Island
• SA1 chip support for Mario RPG, Kirby, and more
• Network multiplayer using WiFi or Bluetooth
• Visual effects! (OpenGL ES Shaders) Support for custom shaders!
• Slick user interface
• On-screen multitouch controls with optional rumble feedback
• Advanced layout editor for on-screen controls
• Custom screen size and orientation
• Auto-detects games and displays cover art
• Custom control mapping
• Support for Moga and iCade 8-bitty game controllers
• Save games with screen shot
• Thousands of cheats (Pro Action Replay™, Game Genie™)
• In-game GameFAQs™ integration
• Fast-forward games using turbo skip
• Support for SMC, FIG, SFC, ZIP, and 7z formats
• Helpful and responsive customer service
Now, as with most emulators it's up to you to supply the actual game ROMs for the games. If you have a collection of SuperNES titles lying around there are ways to download the ROM information yourself or you can access ROMs on the internet although depending on where you get them and if you pay or not there's obviously legal issues involved if gotten the wrong way. But let's say you have a collection of ROMs for your old favorite titles such as Mario or Legend of Zelda and you want to play them on your Nexus 7. Well SuperGNES is simply awesome.
First off, all the titles play virtually identically to how you remember them and there's great on-screen touch controls that even has an optional 'rumble' feature for select games. You can display cover art for those ROMs that include them and there's full support for all kinds of cheat codes for those into Pro Action Replay™ and Game Genie™. You can save your progress and return right where you left off in any game. You can customize the screen size of the game just to your liking as well. There's also support for Moga and iCade 8-bitty game controllers. All in all if you're looking for a great SNES emulator experience it's definitely worth the $3.99 download. Let me know if you have it or try it in the comments below