March 28, 2024, 04:44:09 PM

collapse

Author Topic: Removing Currents App Stops Youtube video Lag & constant buffering mode.  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Becks

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
N7 Wifi with 16G/8 gig free. Non-Rooted.
I have Verizon FIOS 25/25 internet.

When attempting to watch youtube videos the video will either buffer and never load, or load and play for 5 seconds and re-buffer. I could watch any youtube video on my old Apple 3Gs phone via wifi when the N7 would not.

My fix was removing Currents App from the N7. 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:38:35 AM by Becks »

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
Most people just turn off the background data on currents for battery drain issues. Never thought it would interfere with video streaming.

Sent From my Razr Maxx(stock .211, waiting for the MFN soak test) via Tapatalk 2

Offline Becks

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
I do that everyday with the All-In-One-Toolbox App. It didn't help. I even went into the "Currents" app settings and unchecks the pre-load data boxes for Syncing. That did not remedy the situation either. Now it works fine  with Currents removed.
Everyday? Why everyday?  There is a tickbox in Currents settings that shuts down background sync forever.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 12:27:06 PM by bjs229 »

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
I wonder what other pre installed apps can be safely removed from a rooted n7? I don't use Gmail, can I remove it? Etc.

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
I think any of the stock apps can be removed, but I leave mine intact for fear of messing up any OTA updates that may come along in the future....

radio
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
This is the second suggestion about removing something I use in place of YouTube. It was suggested to remove root or disable it which I don't want to do. I have Currents commanded not to sync. I am going to freeze it and see what happens.  Removing system apps is a pretty good way of running into problems when updates come along. 

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline nexusNovice

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
How does one "freeze" an app?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
I use Titanium but I believe you can do it thru Jellybean as well by disabling in app settings.
In Titanium click on the app and you should see a freeze button. You can easily defrost it if you run into problems.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 02:16:48 PM by bjs229 »

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
Yes, disabling under "Settings" would be the way to go with a non-rooted N7. This is what I did with a number of other apps as well: Android keyboard, default email app, Korean keyboard, and Pinyin. I didn't want to uninstall any default/system app for fear of screwing something up for a future OTA update.

Cheers,
- martyh

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt