March 28, 2024, 09:59:50 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Looking for good Wifi Fix apps  (Read 4159 times)

Offline mcf57

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Looking for good Wifi Fix apps
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
I had issues with my Nexus 7 connecting to my home's wifi connection. All was working good until last night. For some reason, all of a sudden it would NOT connect to one of my two available routers when it never had a problem before. I tried everything; reboot, forget network, reconnect, etc. No luck. All other wireless devices in my home are working fine with these same wireless routers too so I know its not the router and more the N7.

I researched on home PC and there were some apps that were mentioned that can fix wifi issues, but since I couldn't connect, I couldn't download and install them at the time. I thought I might have to do a total reset, but just turned it off and went to bed.

I brought it into work today and it connected to our wifi here fine & with no issues. Therefore, I decided to search for  some wifi fixing apps just in case I have the same issue at home again. I downloaded one called 'Wifi Fixer' that seems to have gotten good reviews. Any others recommended that will work good with my Nexus 7?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:37:07 AM by mcf57 »

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for good Wifi Fix apps
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
I know you mentioned reboot and some other troubleshooting but it reads like all was done on the Nexus. Just a shot in the dark... Did you try and unplug/reset your router?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:56:25 AM by bjs229 »

Offline mcf57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:56 AM »
I have not tried totally rebooting the router, but I actually have three wireless access points in my home. One on the first floor (the usual N7 connection point) and two in the basement. All other wireless devices were still working and connected to all wireless access points with no issues. 

Now, the usual upstairs N7 wireless access point is behind a piece of furniture that needs to be pulled out to get to the wouter. This issue happened late last night and at the time, I wasn't really in the mood to try and get to it and totally reboot it. I probably could have done this via a networked PC by logging into it (192.168.1.X) and rebooting it that way, but didn't do either as it was late.

Like I said, no other hardware at home was having this wireless connection issue. I will try resetting them all when I get home later today, but in case that doesn't solve the problem & since my N7 can connect fine here at work, was looking to install some apps that might be able to fix the home wireless issue if needed.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 08:24:18 AM »
I had a router that used to disconnect from my Nexus every so often but stay connected to other devices.. Xbox.. Phones etc.. I would reset the router and I was good to go.
I am not sure about the app question.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:34:50 AM »
Just a shot in the dark, but I have WiFi connection issues with Android devices on networks with the additional WiFi devices set to extender mode rather than access point mode. You can test it by telling your Nexus 7 to forget the additional WiFi connection points and see if you can then connect to the main WiFi router.

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline mcf57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:09:24 PM »
Yea, I would have thought since my Nexus 7 couldn't connect to ANY of my 3 wireless access points that its an issue with the Nexus. Also, it would be rare that all 3 wireless points have a problem & need to be reset. Hence the reason I figure there was something else going on here, but I will definitely reset all of them later today & I suppose anything is possible these days    ;) 

Offline Tiny

• Popularity: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
I haven't experienced your problem with my N7, but have occasionally had it happen on other devices.  Sometimes resetting the router fixes it.  Other times I have reset both router and modem.  The problem is so rare that I haven't spent much time looking for a permanent answer.
I used to be crazy until I found out that insane pays more.

Where am I?  What am I doing in this handbasket?

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:07:55 PM »
I think that the concesus on the usual fix is to reset the router/modem.  I have occasionaly seen that problem as well, but less often with my Nexus.  The hardware reset usually does the trick.  I give it a complete power down.  Unplug it for ten seconds, and plug it back it.  Typically, no issues henceforth. 

Offline mcf57

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:02:56 AM »
OK, I got home last night and finally was able to reset all 3 of my wireless access points. Unplugged them, waited 2 mins and then plugged back in. Unfortunately, my Nexus 7 would still NOT connect. However, what I did next seemed to work. Not sure why, but I basically told the Nexus 7 to "forget" all 3 of my wireless networks. Once I did this and then tried to connect to the 1st floor wireless access point again, it reconnected fine. Again, not sure why this worked, but it did and all is good again. Go figure.    :D

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 10:35:28 AM by S.Prime »

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:50 AM »
OK, I got home last night and finally was able to reset all 3 of my wireless access points. Unplugged them, waited 2 mins and then plugged back in. Unfortunately, my Nexus 7 would still NOT connect. However, what I did next seemed to work. Not sure why, but I basically told the Nexus 7 to "forget" all 3 of my wireless networks. Once I did this and then tried to connect to the 1st floor wireless access point again, it reconnected fine. Again, not sure why this worked, but it did and all is good again. Go figure.    :D

If you connect to an additional router and the issue returns, then you have them set in extender mode or you have each router set to the same channel.

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Brass Slowhand

• I am retired US Coast Guard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 10:58:16 AM »
 :o This some good serious INFO in this thread !
I use my Nexus 7 WiFi only 32GB, as a learning
tool in my pursuit into Blues Guitar music.
~ Brass Slowhand ~

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »
Chicken or the egg. Glad it worked out for you.

Offline MrFound

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

If you connect to an additional router and the issue returns, then you have them set in extender mode or you have each router set to the same channel.

i totally agree! I've experienced this problem once

Offline spitfire55

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 09:40:46 PM »
Does anybody else seem to have an issue where Wifi disconnects then reconnects periodically? Only seems to happen for me when my tablet gets stressed out or I have multiple apps open.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts