April 18, 2024, 05:55:50 PM

collapse

Author Topic: 3rd Nexus and Some slightly different behavior  (Read 3833 times)

Offline silvercue

• Popularity: 2
    • View Profile
3rd Nexus and Some slightly different behavior
« on: March 12, 2013, 04:15:21 AM »
I got my 3rd Nexus yesterday (2 cracked screens).

The new one is 32gb rather than 16. Otherwise I assume they are the same.

Fully charged and then updated Android and re installed my apps (in fact a lot less apps, but nothing new).

I then put in my case - which has a way to put Nexus into sleep mode when you close I believe. 

Anyway - I read a Kindle book for a bit last night and did nothing else.  This morning the charge which was between 90-100% was so low I had to reconnect charger.

Any idea why this might be.  Logged at battery and was only screen using much and the nexus goes into sleep mode very quickly (screen goes dark).

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Nexus and Some slightly different behavior
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
Not enough information to help. Maybe you toggled Bluetooth, or the new device is set to never sleep. Could be a rogue app, too.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »
Maybe your kindle app settings has the sleep mode disabled. I know mine does.

Sent From my Razr Maxx(stock .211, waiting for the MFN soak test) via Tapatalk 2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
I think there is something running in the background or your case magnet is keeping it awake somehow. What else was using the battery? How much percentage were the top two culprits? Do you have apps that sync in the background enabled? Google Currents , some weather apps for instance. What setting do you keep  brightness at? Bird could be on to something with a rogue app as well. Going thru all that battery is way out of the ordinary.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 09:14:11 PM by bjs229 »

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 04:02:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. 

Correction - it is actually my 4th Nexus!! I forgot about the first one that had screen lift and then screen died!!

Anyway - bluetooth definitely was not on.  I think the Kindle sleep disable is a good lead to follow up....however I left Kindle on last night (I only read in bed!) and it did not have the same result.

Battery shows screen as highest as expected, but Android OS and Android System as quite high - also Google "services" which I don't recall having had before.

Having said all that the battery did not drain anywhere near as much over night last night.....

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:46 AM »
Not sure if this is anything, probably not....

One of the only Apps I have running in the background all the time is Skype.  Now I notice the latest version of Skype is different from what I had on previous Nexus....in fact I can't rotate from landscape mode, which is really annoying.

Wondering whether this app has some pother differences now that could drain battery...?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 11:58:40 AM »
Tap that battery graph for a whole nother screen. If you see a lot of spikes on the awake bar while the screen bar shows off, that's some apps waking the tablet up to check the wifi and update. Weather, traffic, email, etc. Doesn't matter that wifi is off, those apps are running anyway.

There is one bar that isn't labeled. It's a thin red line at the top- nfc.

So I leave nfc off, disable currents and google plus, disable autosync in google now and generally leave all the power widget buttons off until I need gps, wifi, sync, or blueteeth.

I'd like to see those graphs updated in a future android version so that tapping on media services etc. Would show the real culprit. Also a reset and hours grid.

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 02:45:31 AM »
Thanks.  happened again last night.  I was reading a book on kindle...at ~90% battery and woke up and had to put on charge. 

The battery showed as:

Android OS 44%
Screen 19%
Google Devices 13%
Skype 7%

The graph has a solid line next to WIFI too...not sure what that means.

I have never seen the battery on any of my other devices have anything other than the screen at the top.  I "think" I have configured this identically....

Am I allowed to post screen shots of the battery usage and graphs on here?

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 06:23:21 AM »
OK....Nexus has been charging for hours now and is still only at 70 odd %.  I have been using it, but not loads and the Android OS is still way ahead of the screen for battery usage.....

Surely that is not right?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 07:02:39 AM »
If the screen has been off, stands to reason. Goto settings, wifi and tap the three dots at upper right. Choose advanced and turn off wifi when asleep. I think that will stop the major drain.

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 08:01:23 AM »
That sounds like a great suggestion - thanks Matt.  Have changed and see how I get on.

Strangely I never changed that setting before on any of my other 3 Nexus and never had this battery drain issue   ???

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2013, 11:48:58 AM »
If you go to the app drawer and keep scrolling right you'll find the widgets. I put the one called power control on my main home screen. It lets me toggle the battery drainers on and off and tells me what is active. Nfc, wifi, gps, and bluetooth are radios that suck battery. Keeping the screen as dim as is comfortable helps too. Losing widgets and programs that wake the tablet for updates every 15 minutes without turning the screen on will let the battery charge faster.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 05:38:54 AM »
Just a shot in the dark, but I encountered a similar issue every time I worked at a certain client's office, where my battery would drain rapidly on my Nexus 7, but not at other locations. The client rarely used WiFi, but then started using it more heavily and had issues with it dropping the connection. To correct the problem I updated the firmware on the router, which eliminated the drop issues and my battery drain. My take is that my Nexus 7 was constantly trying to reconnect to the WiFi network at that location causing the battery to drain.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline silvercue

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »
well Wifi is now set to go off (and it does) when the screen sleeps....but last night, again reading Kindle.....battery high - wake up and Nexus is totally dead. 

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 08:31:38 AM »
Your experience reminds me of this experience of mine. I still think you have a rogue app.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.6 mpg over 38k miles in  Scion xB)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 08:33:20 AM by birdastrompgman »
Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts