March 29, 2024, 05:25:21 AM

collapse

Author Topic: You Tube???  (Read 4372 times)

Offline ajm600

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
You Tube???
« on: March 25, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
I know that many people have had problems with the freezing/hanging/buffering of You Tube videos on the Nexus 7 - but I have not seen any definitive answer/solution to a very,very real problem.
Generally, the approach is "well I don't have any problems". This is most unhelpful because I DO, and so, apparently do many others.
This device is a Google flagship, and You Tube is a Google company, so why is it that there is a problem streaming the one on the other? Friends with iPads are laughing at the sheer ineffectualness of the N7 when playing You Tube on what is, in a lot of ways, a superior device to the Apple.
Can someone please supply an answer because I have tried everything that I can think of, and that others have suggested - it is, for example, impossible to uninstall the app on my unrooted device, and just deleting data and/or updates does nothing. I have tried also PVStar+ as an alternative, but this also has a problem of late.
Now, does the N7 have a problem with video streaming? Or is it just MY N7 that is the problem? Do I have a case for returning to manufacturer? If so, who do I contact, Google, or ASUS?
I am at my wits end.......Please help.

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
Re: You Tube???
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
Didn't you start another thread on this same subject?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline matt

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »
With a whole lot of people jumping on the cyberweb there's bound to be some slowdowns. If the servers that the files are hosted on get slammed it will glitch. So google adds servers. If your isp has a slow connect to the www. Another glitch.

Try utube at nonpeak hours to see if it's the first. Run traceroutes and pings to check the second.
Every tablet I own has youtube problems. Hey, return it if thats what you bought it for. Even my computer stalls on streams sometimes. It should get better if updating the infrastructure can keep up with new traffic.

Offline ajm600

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »
Thank you. So I am not alone I guess. But as bjs229 says I have aired this problem before, only to fall foul of the "I don't have this problem" brigade.
Tonight, on both You Tube and PVStar+ I was not able to run more than 3 seconds before stalling.
No, I didn't buy it for that Matt, but I don't see the buffering on Samsung or Apple products so I thought it may be an N7 issue.
Are you saying that it is not?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 05:48:10 PM »
I have had great results with PVstar+. I have all but given upon Youtube until it gets fixed. You are far from the only person. There are a million threads on this one subject.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:49:59 PM by bjs229 »

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 05:56:56 PM »
Insufficient data. Are the samesong and uphill using the same wifi connexion? Are they 802.11 n 2.4ghz band only? Streaming at the same time, same location? The wifi antenna on the n7 is the back cover, do you see as many ssids on the n7 as other devices?

I've had stuttering utube on my computer, webtv, 4 tablets. Usually from 4 pm til 8. Haven't ruled out my router or tried ethernet yet. Could also be interference from other wifi networks in the neighborhood.

Does it improve with proximity to your router? Run speedtest when you get streaming errors?

Offline Newbieoldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 06:34:45 PM »
Hi, I'm new to android and the Nexus 7. I have no problems whatsoever with utube but I don't use an app. I go on with the stock browser and it works great. I use http://m.youtube.com/?reload=9&rdm=mk0win5uw#/
I can search for what I want to see. My N7 is stock running 2.2.2.
Please excuse me if you already know this and are just trying to make it work with an app.

Offline Newbieoldguy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:36:54 PM »
Oops! Sorry, I meant 4.2.2 not 2.2.2

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:58:51 PM »
I have run speed tests and it definitely isn't my router. I have had problems on laptops, pcs and tablets. I think they just cant handle traffic. When I am on at late night or early morning it seems fine.

Offline ajm600

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:31:19 AM »
Sorry to bang on about this, but now my N7 will not play any sort of video from any source without hangups every few seconds. The latest is a bloomberg video: http://bloom.bg/10lO3VJ which plays beautifully on my HTC desire S in my left hand and is completely unplayable on my N7 in my right.
Matt, "Hey", I did not buy my N7 SOLELY to play videos on YouTube as you averred earlier, but wouldn't you say that playing video is ONE of the main reasons for owning ANY tablet??
I cannot now play any videos. Is that the norm? Would the consensus be that there is a fault with my N7, and if so to whom do I turn to have it repaired - ASUS?

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 09:51:09 AM »
That link played through on mine with no hiccups.

The reason I asked about comparing available ssids on the n7 and other devices is that the wifi antenna connectors, which are a couple of gold plated springs may not be making good contact with the antenna in the back cover. Birdastrompgman went through this and solved it by reattaching it. Search the forum for his wifi problems. Run speedtest to check your wifi throughput. Try another wifi hotspot.

I think I would try that and maybe a system reset before returning. Do not flex the screen when removing back, I use a guitar pick, an old credit card might work. Not liable if you break it. Lol

Offline ajm600

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
Matt, thanks for your thoughtful reply.
I ran a speed test, and it shows a download speed of about 7500kbs which is par for my course.
Now I have discovered that I cannot even play film trailers from IMdB. They stop after about 2 seconds and do not restart. There is obviously a fault.
I am very reluctant to remove the back myself as it may void my warranty, but I shall certainly pass your remarks on to PC World from whom I bought it.
When I bought the N7 last October it worked perfectly, so this video trouble is a very recent phenomenon, which leads me to suspect that you are correct about the loosened contacts - but wouldn't I then be having problems with BBC News? Anything written is OK and very fast, but as soon as I switch to video - bingo!
Trouble is, I'm going away for a few weeks and am depending on my video downloads which I play on MX player - which behaves beautifully BTW - so I can't take it back to the store just yet as they will pass it back to the manufacturer.

***UPDATE*** I turned off my Bluetooth, and things are working again. Flippin' Nora, was it the Bluetooth all along? IMdB OK, YouTube seems better. I'll do a lengthier check and let you know if I may.

Offline NordieBoy

• Popularity: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 12:27:38 PM »
Just played the same video with no problems.
Have you tried a factory reset?

I'd be looking at taking it back to where you got it.

Offline matt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 12:36:25 PM »
Interesting, blurtooth and wifi are both 2.4 ghz. Try enabling one before the other, does the bluetooth  hop around the wifi better than the wifi avoiding the bluetooth? There were a lot of wifi/bluetooth issues that were addressed with the 4.2.2 update. Is your router set to auto channel select? Maybe when it changes wifi channel it causes this?

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 12:44:41 PM »
Have you tried clearing the cache of MX in settings/apps? What version of Android? Are you using a bluetooth source for sound with wifi?
It might be time for a reset.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:55:21 PM by bjs229 »

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts