April 19, 2024, 11:00:57 AM

collapse

Author Topic: Please help with 3 issues on our N7  (Read 1909 times)

Offline PieLam

• Popularity: -1
    • View Profile
Please help with 3 issues on our N7
« on: April 04, 2013, 02:54:07 PM »
Hi all,

I have 3 issues with my N7.  I bought the N7 for my wife and gave it to her for Christmas (2012).
It's been working flawlessly since then.  Overall, I'd say we're pleased and impressed with it, save
the other 2 minor issues below. (seemingly minor to my current issue/problem)

My main issue now, is that it won't power-on...  Up until yesterday, it had been working as it should.
We haven't used it for about a week.  Naturally, the batt. was completely depleted, so, we
plugged it in to charge as we'd always had done in the past.  However, last night, after several
hours of charging, when we opened the cover, it wouldn't power-on.  (as it normally would)

This morning, I removed the N7 from its case, still, no activity after pressing the power button. 
Now, it's just plugged in to an AC outlet and the screen seems to be a rather dark greyish tint.

I'm hoping I can just do a reset or some such simple thing.  But how??

MY OTHER 2 ISSUES:
(hoping & assuming that the main issue is fixed)

(I've tried some things that were suggested by the Google Tech Support Team.  Below is an exerp
from those exchanges with them.):  (edited to fit better in this context)
----------------------
I've tried some of the troubleshooting suggestions.  Most of those didn't apply.  The few that did
apply didn't help.  I've been trying, for the last few days, to find  a solution on the 'net, but
nothing I've tried has worked...  (frustration would be putting it mildly)

I've had some successes, but not with my original problem. (Which still is my #1 PC not seeing the
N7 when it's connected to my #1 PC's front USB port.)  What I did was connect my N7 to my #2 PC's front USB port...  Wouldn't you know it, the N7 came up without a hitch!  So, to me this means the N7 is working as it should be.  I should've tried this before now, but my main #1 PC is  easier for me to use...(And much faster :) )  Are you still able to help me with this?
----------------------
I don't think any of that went through to the Google Support Team as I never got a response. (I figure, it's because of the way that I sent the email.  <???> )

Does anyone have any ideas about this, though?

THIRDLY...
My main objective to all of this is to create an eBook on my PC.  In doing feasibility research, a while back now, I learned that "the eBook should be a PDF file" and that was all that was needed.  Just copy the PDF file to the N7 and it would magically appear as an eBook.  Really?  Is it really that simple?  (somehow, I highly doubt it.) 

When I connected the N7 to my #2 PC, there were no PDF files on the N7, despite the fact that our N7 has a few eBooks on it. 

So, which folder should my PDF go to, does it matter?  Obviously, my PDF file's extension needs renaming, but to what, though???

I wasn't able to find any specifics in all of my research.  Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Offline emmellar

• View Profile
Re: Please help with 3 issues on our N7
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:15:43 PM »
Not sure if this helps but if you are using kindle you can email PDFs to your kindle email address which is unique to you and it will appear as a book...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Offline loociddreemr

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 25
  • OG Droid-Razr MAXX-Nexus 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:19 PM »
Try holding the power button for thirty seconds. This should help you power up.
Try using the Wugfresh tool kit to install the drivers on your PC. That seems to be the recognition issue.

What app do you use for PDF files? You need to drop the PDF in that specific data folder, unless your app can search or browse for files.

Sent From my Razr Maxx(W.K.Y.A.98.72.16.XT912.v4.7-R3Ds) via Tapatalk 2

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 03:50:53 PM »
I use Moon Reader Pro, which allows you to specify folder that contains your books or allows you to open books from DropBox. It also reads epub, mobi, and pdf formats.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »
Front USB ports are problematic, as they are connected to the motherboard by wires. You should use a USB 2.0 port mounted on the motherboard.

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.5 mpg over 42k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline bjs229

• Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 09:23:18 PM »
If the battery is totally dead, plug the nexus in and hold the power and volume dwn together until a menu comes up. Use then volume to go to power off. A little charging icon should then light up shortly after.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline PieLam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »
Try holding the power button for thirty seconds. This should help you power up.

Thanks!     But, after I did a search, on here, I found a solution that worked.  That was to hold the power button for 15 seconds.  Previously, I'd tried 10 seconds...  As they say, "live & learn."   :)

Try using the Wugfresh tool kit to install the drivers on your PC. That seems to be the recognition issue.

Thanks again, I'll try Wugfresh.

What app do you use for PDF files? You need to drop the PDF in that specific data folder, unless your app can search or browse for files.

I created the PDF on my #1 PC using  MS Word 2010 and saved it as a PDF.  To be clear, there  aren't ANY apps on our N7 other than a few games & what was on it from the factory.   ;)

Offline PieLam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:33 AM »
Front USB ports are problematic, as they are connected to the motherboard by wires. You should use a USB 2.0 port mounted on the motherboard.

I thought about doing that, but then I remembered that the USB ports on my HP (#2 PC) are front mounted also, no issues there.  Another sort of a barrier is getting to the MoBo USB ports on my #1 PC (self-built) is not easy for me.  (I'd try them only as a last resort.) 

OOps, I failed to mention that the front ports on #1 work fine with flash drives.   :|

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman