March 28, 2024, 07:47:18 AM

collapse

Author Topic: What do you want to see at Google I/O in two weeks?  (Read 3185 times)

JayJ

What do you want to see at Google I/O in two weeks?
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »
Google's huge press even, I/O is just over two weeks away now so what would you like to see on May 15th 2013?

Speculation on the web has the following as hot contenders to be announced at I/O...

The next Android update, will it be Key Lime Pie whether that be 5.0 or not or will we still have Jelly Bean and Android version 4.3?
I believe we could well be seeing a newer version if Jelly Bean and I think it's a good thing, hopefully Google can improve in JB before releasing KLP and the also talk of a PDK (Platform Development Kit). This is another step in the right direction for Google and can only b a good thing in helping OEM's update Android for their respective devices quicker and should help resolve some of Android fragmentation.

A unified messaging application, codenamed Babel and possibly even called Babel although my money is on it being a replacement of GTalk unifying G+ messenger, GTalk, SMS messaging and possibly although not yet Google Voice?

A Google gaming service. This was found mistakenly released with Glass, could Google be ready to release a service similar to XBox Live or iOS Game Centre?
There's even the possibility of Google unifying it's existing games for Chrome, Google+, Native Client Games and Android games?

Google News is possibly a new service coming to Google Play, we already have Apps, Music, Books, Magazines so why not a Newspaper service too?

The update to this forums main subject, yes the 2nd generation Nexus 7 is very likely to be announced at I/O 2013 and whether it has a smaller bezel, higher screen resolution, Snapdragon CPU, rear facing camera, Android 4.3 or 5.0 I'm sure it'll be a good seller just like the first generation.

And finally, Motorola and the so called X-Phone. We could possibly not see this at all at I/O, Google and Motorola could possibly release this later in the year, possibly just before Christmas.

A Nexus 4 LTE 32GB or the Nexus 5??

I love my Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 but I love Android and what Google is doing with Android at the moment. The inclusion of these points would make Android even more superior to iOS, Windows Mobile 8 and any other mobile OS but even if some of these points made it to I/O and Android I'd be a very happy Android fan.

What do you think and what would you like to see?

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4

Offline 1stGen16GB

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What do you want to see at Google I/O in two weeks?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:41:40 AM »
Nexus 5 with LTE, 1080p, smaller bezel, better camera and better processor

Basically a nexus phone with S4 specs. I'm probably going to buy an S4 in a few weeks and install cyanegenmod just to have vanilla

95-thuren equipped

JayJ

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 05:07:56 AM »
I highly doubt the Nexus 5 will make an appearance at I/O, I think Google will keep that for later in the year along with Android KLP...

I hear nothing but bad things about the S4...
It's over bloated, the 16GB model only has 8.8GB of internal storage because of the Samsung propitiatory applications taking up internal storage. Yes you can add an SD card but that's not the point.
It's cheap feel, Sammy do love their plastic and personally I want a premium feel to my device.
It's laggy... Touchwiz anyone... and ugly UI... Touchwiz anyone...

I couldn't own another OEM device after owning a Nexus, I wouldn't say I won't ever own another Samsung device because they may do another Nexus one day but I wouldn't own a Samsung with Touchwiz...

Just my personal opinion mind and each to their own, one of those great things about Android... choice...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:03:01 AM by JayJ »

Offline 1stGen16GB

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
I too dislike touch wiz which is why i mentioned cyanegenmod so it would be pure android

95-thuren equipped

JayJ

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:31:14 PM »
If you want to buy an S4 that's your choice....

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 03:53:40 PM »
Nexus 5 with LTE, 1080p, smaller bezel, better camera and better processor

Basically a nexus phone with S4 specs. I'm probably going to buy an S4 in a few weeks and install cyanegenmod just to have vanilla

95-thuren equipped

Keep us posted on your experience with the S4 and "Plain Jane Android." As a current S3 and Nexus tablet owner, I will hopefully face the choice of Nexus 5 and S4 in my next phone to use with US based, consumer raping, "Big Red."  >:(
IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:44 PM »
Any last minute thoughts on what we'll see tomorrow at Google I/O?  In addition to the new Nexus 7 there's been a lot of talk about Motorola's 'XFON' as well as a Google Music service and the Google Play Games we've mentioned before.  Anything else?
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 07:32:20 PM »
I am anxious to see what we will see as the next version of Android for our current Nexus devices and if the Nexus 4 with the CDMA radio will be available at Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JayJ

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:35 PM »
My thoughts...

Android 4.3
2nd Gen Nexus 7
Google Babel or whatever is going to be called, a unified messaging app...
Obviously Google Games
Maybe the XFON but not sure after the FCC reports it's going to disappoint many with it's Dual core CPU, low quality screen etc, a mid range phone...
I'm not sure about the Nexus 4 or 5 either, it's too early for the 5 so maybe an LTE 4 but there's been so many rumors...

I'm with Prime though, it's all about the software for me...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:01:09 PM by JayJ »

JayJ

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 01:04:53 PM »
No second gen Nexus 7, no Android 4.3, no unified messaging application, no XFON (I called that) and no Nexus 4 LTE or Nexus 5...

Offline Babyfacemagee

• Administrator
  • Popularity: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:25 PM »
I think that Google has decided to split hardware and software announcements into separate events perhaps.  We'll probably see some kind of hardware focused event later on in the summer perhaps in June or July.  That's my guess anyway.  I too was expecting to see at least a new Nexus 7 today but I'm sure we'll see it before fall.
Use this link to get $10 in FREE BITCOIN at Coinbase, the world's most popular and trusted cryptocurrency account.

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 01:46:11 AM »
Wow! Talk about crushed expectations!

I'm not the lowest of the low, but I am the slowest of the slow (49.5 mpg over 42k miles in  Scion xB)

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

JayJ

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 01:49:59 AM »
I take back the unified messaging service, that's what Hangouts is suppose to be but personally I'm underwhelmed by it...

So Hangouts isn't working on Tablets, how bad is that... Google release a "unified" messaging app and it didn't work on two if their own devices (N7/N10)...

Buy we do have hosted Google Now, updated Play Music with music service.
Play games is working with Riptide and Beach Buggy Blitz, others too but this is what I have. People are going to think I'm really rubbish a Riptide but my girlies play it... lol

Who's surprised by the S4 announcement? Honestly, the S4 has only slightly better specs than the Nexus 4, LTE and expendable storage but is it really with twice the cost of the Nexus 4??

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:53:00 AM by JayJ »

Offline fxsarge

• Popularity: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 05:25:24 AM »
I hate the S4.  I love the new music and I actually thought most of the other stuff was cool. Very disappoint about the no new hardware thing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:39 AM »
S4 at $600+ US, that was a change in direction for Google, I think I will pass.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman