March 28, 2024, 01:18:00 PM

collapse

Author Topic: email d/d  (Read 2952 times)

Offline krosnafone

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
email d/d
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:48:03 PM »
A pop-3/smtp client is configured for my ISP, and it is operative...but for drag and drop between folders.

A finger press on a message brings up the expected d/d dialog, but the message will not drop into a folder.

Offline S.Prime

• PM if You have a Forum Issue
  • Global Moderator
  • Popularity: 80
  • Galaxy S3-TPT-HTC Flyer-Nexus 7 & 10-Rooted 100%
    • View Profile
Re: email d/d
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 03:11:13 AM »
What email app are you using?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

IT Service Professional - I just want a device to be productive.

Offline krosnafone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 01:57:44 PM »
What email app are you using?

Whatever Nexus self-configured when I inputted the ISP name/POP-3/SMTP, etc. via SETTINGS|ADD ACCOUNT|MAIL.
It appears to be nameless.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
I find the following to effectively explain folders in the Android email client :

Email folders
The built-in Android email client is actually quite good. It may seem somewhat inflexible, but it’s really only as inflexible as your email host. Let me explain. Take a look around the Android email client options. You will NOT find the ability to create folders anywhere. The Android email client can work with folders, but you must create those folders through your hosting provider. For example: I use Vervehosting for most of my personal/professional and client-based email. I can log onto the webmail client and create folders through a groupware tool (I primarily use Squirrelmail).

Theoretically, the folders created through Squirrelmail should show up when the Android email client syncs, but here’s the thing — if you’ve set that account up within Email as a POP account, those folders will not show up. In order to get those folders to appear, that account must be set up as either an IMAP or Exchange account.

Once the folders appear, you can move email around on the device to keep yourself organized. To move an email from the Inbox folder to another folder, simply select the email (or multiple emails), tap the folder icon (upper right, immediately left of the Trash icon ), and then select the target folder from the resulting pop up.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline krosnafone

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »
It's not following that scheme here.   The server is POP3, yet there are INBOX, DRAFTS, SEND, OLDBOX, AND TRASH folders, which is consistent with the way Thunderbird configured those folders on a PC.

On Nexus there is no "folder" icon to the left of the TRASH bin at the top of the screen.  However, there is one to the right of TRASH.  Tapping it after selecting a message results in toggling the read/unread state of that message.

When a message is selected by pausing on it for a moment the number 1 appears.  If two are selected the number 2 appears, etc.  The messages can be dragged, but they won't drop into other folders.

JayJ

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
The stock email client doesn't have a drag and drop feature...

To place an email in a folder select the folder icon with the email open or to multi-select tick the check boxes and then the folder icon...

Sent from my Paranoid Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline krosnafone

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:42:39 AM »
Thanks again.

It's apparent that d/d doesn't work, but if I correctly followed your suggestion, it also fails...

While viewing message headers in SENT, I check marked one or several.  Then I touched the OLDBOX folder.  The messages did not copy or move from SENT to OLDBOX.

Offline S.Prime

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:39 PM »
From what I have seen copying to created folders only works for imap email and not for pop in the Android email client. Check with your ISP and see if they support imap and pop, some ISP's support both now, allowing you to choose which type you want to use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline krosnafone

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
That had crossed my mind as well, thanks.  Just discovered that d/d works between the TRASH bin
and the INBOX - both ways - but not to other folders on this POP3 client.    Onward...

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman