March 28, 2024, 11:11:37 PM

collapse

Author Topic: How to read QR codes?  (Read 26393 times)

Offline birdastrompgman

• Popularity: 28
    • View Profile
How to read QR codes?
« on: July 21, 2012, 10:31:22 AM »
I'm new to Androids, so tell me how it works with cell phones, and how do we do it with our N7s?  Do we have this capability yet?

I suspect it's much more complicated than pointing the built-in camera at the QR code.  So, do we have to take a picture, then enter the picture into an app that recognizes QR patterns?  Since Google didn't officially provide us with the ability to take photos with the N7, I'm guessing there's no built-in support to read QR.  True?

FWIW, I installed the Modaco camera launcher app that does let me capture stills & video.  Our N7s have a zoom feature using this app, although I don't know if it's a digital or optical zoom.  Probably the former.

Bird has seen >650 North American bird species
Rooted Nexus 7
49.5 mpg avg for 53k miles in non-hybrid Scion xB
Retired 9 yrs, and loving it

Offline radiocycle

• Popularity: 9
    • View Profile
Re: How to read QR codes?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
I'm new to Androids, so tell me how it works with cell phones, and how do we do it with our N7s?  Do we have this capability yet?

I suspect it's much more complicated than pointing the built-in camera at the QR code.  So, do we have to take a picture, then enter the picture into an app that recognizes QR patterns?  Since Google didn't officially provide us with the ability to take photos with the N7, I'm guessing there's no built-in support to read QR.  True?

FWIW, I installed the Modaco camera launcher app that does let me capture stills & video.  Our N7s have a zoom feature using this app, although I don't know if it's a digital or optical zoom.  Probably the former.

Yeah, pretty sure that would be digital zoom, as you stated.

r
Time flies like arrows... Fruit flies like bananas!

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
Nobody's done this with an N7?  How do you do it with Droid phones?
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
Nobody's done this with an N7?  How do you do it with Droid phones?

Just a camdamra and an app.

r

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:45:36 PM »
OK.  I found 2 paid apps that claim to work with our N7s.  They're Barcode Scanner + (Plus) and Barcode Scanner + (Simple).  The apps that don't work are all specific to other cell phones, so I deduce someone has to write the code to toggle our N7 cameras on.

I could use some of my $25 Google Play credit to get the paid app, but I haven't seen a QR code worth reading yet.  Until I do, I'll wait for a free app.

Update.  There's a free Scan app on Amazon Market that claims compatibility with the Nexus 7.  Unfortunately, it fails to successfully initialize my N7's camera.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 12:03:17 AM »
Another update.  I contacted Amazon apps tech support.  The tech couldn't tell me how Amazon determines an app's compatibility with my device.  Judging from the dissatisfied reviews from owners of off-beat mobile devices, I'm guessing developers must get asked which devices their apps won't work on, and all the others get flagged as compatible.

Anyway, I was told to clear the data area and try the app again.  Then uninstall and reinstall the Scan app.  It didn't help.  My N7's camera wouldn't initialize.

Next, I found another Scanlife app claiming to read QR codes, and compatibility with the N7.  No dice.  It didn't initialize the camera, either.  It claimed another app was using the camera.  I forced closed my Modaco Camera and Skype apps.  That didn't help.  I cleared the data area.  No dice.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the app.  No dice.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline mmiinch

• Popularity: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 01:34:43 AM »
Is Nexus 7's 1.2MP camera capable of Bar or QR code discernment.
If anyone has success, please tell how to do it.
tia

Offline frank

• Popularity: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 05:41:19 AM »
This is the free bar code scanner I use on my archos tablet, but not yet compatible with the Nexus 7.  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.zxing.client.android

Offline princekermit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 10:26:21 PM »
Barcode Scanner + (Plus)  works like a champ. I just got my N7 and this is the 3rd app  I put on it. I have not had a single problem with it.

Offline radiocycle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »
Barcode Scanner + (Plus)  works like a champ. I just got my N7 and this is the 3rd app  I put on it. I have not had a single problem with it.

Ah, thanks for the tip princekermit!  ...and welcome to the forum  :)

Offline chaikenj

• Popularity: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »

Ah, thanks for the tip princekermit!  ...and welcome to the forum  :)

I use Barcode Scanner, no problem.  Plus they have very friendly customer support.  At first I was foolishly aiming the center of the N7 at the code, and they told me to aim the camera at the code....  duh.

Offline birdastrompgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 10:55:23 PM »
Good things come to those who wait.  I thought someone would eventually add the Nexus 7 to an existing free code scanner. It's the pic2shop bar and QR code reader available at the Google Play store.
Rooted Nexus 7

Offline martyh

• Popularity: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 12:22:06 AM »
Good things come to those who wait.  I thought someone would eventually add the Nexus 7 to an existing free code scanner. It's the pic2shop bar and QR code reader available at the Google Play store.

I just snagged the pic2shop app; tried it on a book bar code and a QR code in a magazine.Took some trial and error re: distance between code and N7 camera -- it's tricky when you can't easily see what the camera sees! But the app did read both codes correctly. The book code yielded a screen with a graphic of the book, some info. and a half-dozen prices across the web. The QR code yielded a URL, which I clicked on and this took me to the TV show's website.

Thanx for the head's up on this.
-martyh

Offline Rone

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »
I was looking into this and I thought that I would add this just in case anyone is still interested. By the way I just got my Nexus 7 for Christmas. Anyway, I immediatly found the QR Driod for free on the Google Play store, installed it and it works great, at least for reading the QR Codes, once it is read it sneds you to the web location with the click of a button.

Offline rtsdfewf

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 02:13:20 AM »
I am using this Java QR Code barcode reader/scanner to read the QR Code barcodes(http://www.onbarcode.com/products/java_barcode_reader/barcodes/qrcode.html). It's nice. Share with you all.

* Top Boards

* 'Like' And 'Follow' Us!

* Top Posters

bjs229 bjs229
2682 Posts
S.Prime S.Prime
2017 Posts
Babyfacemagee Babyfacemagee
1263 Posts
matt matt
936 Posts
birdastrompgman birdastrompgman