2013 Nexus 7 Discussion Forums (2nd Generation, Nexus 7 FHD, Nexus 7.2) > New Nexus 7 Root, Hacks, Mods And Development (2nd Gen)

Rooting Questions and Suggestions for Nexus 7 2013

<< < (3/3)

JayJ:
The kernel is the lower level of the software, it's the part that communicates directly with the hardware.
A custom kernel allows the set parameters of the stock kernel to be enhanced. Depending on the kernel and device that would include: Overclocking, Underclocking, Undervolting, governor, colour and gamma calibration.
Generally though the custom kernel developer is going to have tweaked the kernel to perform better than the stock kernel.
There will be other features, kernel dependent so it's advisable to read the developers thread on a development community such as XDA or follow the developer on Google+.

Sent using The Force

ivan:
Do most custom ROMs already come preloaded with custom Kernels? Will I mess up my ROM if I install an outside kernel?

Or is it safe to install any kernel I want?

Also, where do I check to see which Kernels I am using?

Thanks a ton for all the help, I'm really enjoying making full use of my Android device!

JayJ:
Sorry for the late reply Ivan.

It largely depends on the ROM most use a moderately tweaked stock kernel so a custom kernel may help with battery and include other features.

No it isn't safe to install any kernel. You need to understand flashing the kernel is considered the next level up to flashing a ROM and with the build versions of AOSP ROM's differing you must flash the right kernel to the right ROM. For example I use Paranoid Android on my Nexus 4 which is based on the JWR AOSP ROM so it must be used with a JWR kernel, whereas other ROM's are based on the JSS AOSP build and must be used with a JSS kernel.
It just means it's best to read the ROM thread on XDA and the kernel thread so you know what you are flashing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

ivan:
Here's a hopefully quick question.

I first rooted my device a couple of months ago. I've installed various kernals and ROMs since then. I rooted originally in Android 4.3, and now I'm at Android 4.4.2 (custom ROM - no OTAs). I have never re-rooted using the Skipsoft Toolkit.

Today I updated the Skipsoft Toolkit (which I haven't done since I first rooted) and I installed an updated TWRP Recovery using the toolkit.

Is there anything else that needs to get updated on my device via the rooting toolkit? Should I reroot my device or anything like that? I'm just worried that I might be breaking something by going up in the Android build number, but not doing a reroot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version